Liege - Bastonge - Liege 2021 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Fun race. Credit to Ineos for making a go of it, shame Carapaz didn't have the legs and Yates and Kwiatkowski couldn't mark out the counter. Didn't work, but good to see them trying, and they definitely shaped the race
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

22 years old and already a Tour de France and a monument. Not bad.

But not as good as WVA :wink:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    Pross said:

Come back when he wins a flat sprint stage, then we'll talk.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Er... come back when WVA wins the Tour, no?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    properly exciting last hour . good race. ratboy busted again :D
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    edited April 2021

Pross said:

Come back when he wins a flat sprint stage, then we'll talk.
    Nah.
    Come back when he can carry a dozen bidons up a mountain for his mates, during the Tour and then we'll talk. ;)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266

Er... come back when WVA wins the Tour, no?

Listen, you can bring as much logic as you like, I still won't listen.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Very happy to see Pogacar get the win after Alaphilippe farked it up for him last year
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Stupid rule
  • salsiccia1
    FFS
  • Pross
    That's not what I understood the super tuck to be. Riders have descended like that for as long as I've watched cycling.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,865
    Lots of fatigue in that race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,865
    Pross said:

That's not what I understood the super tuck to be. Riders have descended like that for as long as I've watched cycling.
    Super tuck is arse under the saddle I thought

Was there a rash of riders amateur or other wise crashing because of supertucks ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    Yebbut. Carapaz is an Ineos rider and also not French. Innit. Stupid roolz.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

Was there a rash of riders amateur or other wise crashing because of supertucks ...

Everyone knows someone who knew someone who...

(i.e. No)

If he wins he doesn't get disqualified..1000%
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    I wonder if this race is foretelling the rest of the year for Ineos? They have lots of strong guys, but no one you would really say is on the level of a Roglic/Pogacar. Plenty of numbers today but when the pinch came they had no one strong enough to follow. You feel in the GTs they could easily have 3 or 4 guys in the top 10, but do they have anyone to crack the top spot?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Young Tomo but he’s b@ggered off to play on his mountain bike.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    edited April 2021
    phreak said:

I wonder if this race is foretelling the rest of the year for Ineos? They have lots of strong guys, but no one you would really say is on the level of a Roglic/Pogacar. Plenty of numbers today but when the pinch came they had no one strong enough to follow. You feel in the GTs they could easily have 3 or 4 guys in the top 10, but do they have anyone to crack the top spot?

Bernal should win the giro if his back holds up and he avoids accidents. Assuming it does and he goes to the tour next year at 100%, would he challenge for the win?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    Pross said:

Ineos with no-one now.

They messed it up – when 4 of them were at the front forcing the pace, I felt they would get the acclaim for enlivening the race, but probably at best someone in the end placings 5-10; but they didn't even manage that (best – Kwia-11th). Who was their DS for the race?
  • jimmyjams

Pog looking like he just had a bit of a sprint for the sign after a light 45 min ride to the cafe...

Very astute for his age/experience, deciding to follow JA's wheel as they approached the end.
    (Vollering was equally astute in the women's race, deciding to follow van Vleuten's wheel as they neared the finish)
    Whereas Valverde made the novice's tactical mistake of leading into the last straight.
  • jimmyjams

I was impressed by Gaudu today.
    Thought he would be 5th of the five, but showed decent pace in the end.
    A word for Davide Formolo, who had been invisible this year, but played a crucial roll in reeling in the Ineos train.

Both Formolo and Hirschi did their bit, Hirschi even getting 6th.
    I said this already in a post months back, but I think Gaudu a good bet for the TdF Mûr-de-Bretagne stage.
  • jimmyjams
    Pross said:

Maybe it wasn't his seat position but where his arms were? Forearms on the bars no longer allowed. Doesn't look like it on the photo, but maybe at other moments?
    In the Fleche Wallonne the other day, the guy for a while alone in front (for the life of me I can't remember who it was) went to put his right arm in that position and then stopped (before both arms were on the bars), as if he suddenly remembered the new rule.
    I don't have a problem with the new rules from the pov of an example to those newish to cycling and not that capable. Locally I see kids riding like that, but if they crash, then that is clearly their fault.
    But in a cyclosportive/gran fondo I certainly don't want to have others around me riding with just forearms on the bars, because 'that is what the profis do'.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Trying to make sense of the rule

"This position requires that the only points of support
    are the following: the feet on the pedals, the hands on the handlebars and the seat on the saddle. "

My interpretation is that your 'seat' can be off the saddle (climbing or bike throw) or your hands can be off the bars (removing a jacket) but you can't have 'non standard' points of contact while riding - forearms on the bars, 'seat' on the top tube, chest on the bars or chest on saddle.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    jimmyjams said:

Pog looking like he just had a bit of a sprint for the sign after a light 45 min ride to the cafe...

Very astute for his age/experience, deciding to follow JA's wheel as they approached the end.
    (Vollering was equally astute in the women's race, deciding to follow van Vleuten's wheel as they neared the finish)
    Whereas Valverde made the novice's tactical mistake of leading into the last straight.
    Very unlike him. He's built a career on not abandoning the wheel in front unless absolutely necessary.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    True dat. He proves that after 41 years one can still have career firsts! Finding his nose in the wind with more than 50m to go!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

Trying to make sense of the rule

"This position requires that the only points of support
    are the following: the feet on the pedals, the hands on the handlebars and the seat on the saddle. "

My interpretation is that your 'seat' can be off the saddle (climbing or bike throw) or your hands can be off the bars (removing a jacket) but you can't have 'non standard' points of contact while riding - forearms on the bars, 'seat' on the top tube, chest on the bars or chest on saddle.

So basically you can't sit on the seat tube but can crouch over it in a ski tuck as you're only using hands and feet as contact points. That's what I understood it to be.
  • salsiccia1
    jimmyjams said:

I don't have a problem with the new rules from the pov of an example to those newish to cycling and not that capable. Locally I see kids riding like that, but if they crash, then that is clearly their fault.
    But in a cyclosportive/gran fondo I certainly don't want to have others around me riding with just forearms on the bars, because 'that is what the profis do'.

Sorry, with all respect I can't abide that logic. It's a bit like ruling that F1 drivers can't go over 70mph in a race in case it influences everyday drivers to break the speed limit.

Pro riders should not be expected to be concerned over how MAMILs should ride.
  • Pross
    jimmyjams said:

Pross said:

Ineos with no-one now.

They messed it up – when 4 of them were at the front forcing the pace, I felt they would get the acclaim for enlivening the race, but probably at best someone in the end placings 5-10; but they didn't even manage that (best – Kwia-11th). Who was their DS for the race?
    Kwia seemed to just be lacking when the winning move went but then seemed strong in trying to chase. With hindsight they made their move a climb too early or, as I said at the time, a couple of them should have sat up and let the other two go rather than just pulling a group away.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,933
    Just finished catching up with both the mens and the womens.

Enjoyed both but what on earth is it with Rob Hatch's fascination that its been 41 (now 42) years since a French man won?