Football stuff

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,680

is nobody else concerned by Comrade Boris's dangerous lurch to the left (of Corbyn) into a world when he is going to use the powers of the state to punish private companies?

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the ESL it can not be right to even suggest you will introduce a harsher visa, tax and policing regime for them.

With the future heir to the throne as president of the FA we can't even agree on being a banana republic

If there's a bandwagon to be jumped on, Johnson is your man. Those who think he is sincere are fools.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited April 2021

ddraver said:

If anyone wants to bring it back toward cycling, Johnathon Vaughters is (or course) totally in favour of it.

Because cycling and football are totally the same obviously... 😐

Well, isn't the PRO tour the same thing? A number of teams who get guaranteed entry to the big races... the others need to qualify
    Similar, but you can get dropped/ride across* to the protour. It's not completely closed. Although I accept that once you're in it it's much easier to stay there.

*see what I did there
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

ddraver said:

If anyone wants to bring it back toward cycling, Johnathon Vaughters is (or course) totally in favour of it.

Because cycling and football are totally the same obviously... 😐

Well, isn't the PRO tour the same thing? A number of teams who get guaranteed entry to the big races... the others need to qualify
    Yes, but cycling finances really are woeful.

Teams get zero worthwhile return on investments. Prize money is nominal, gate receipts aren’t a thing, (along with refreshments), fans don’t buy merchandise in meaningful volumes and the TV rights go to organisers.

I’d 100% support a different model in cycling but, the problem is it is unlikely to be done in an equitable way. These things are always power grabs where party A simply wants the position party B currently has. Not any sort of equity.

Teams are solely dependent on deep pockets of sponsors.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,259
    Jezyboy said:

In an ideal world, football would be like athletics or rowing... you never see it on TV, until there is a major event, being that the Olympics or the World cup. It still exists in the background, but you need to go and find it, by going to the game/races.

Unfortunately, TV brought it to the masses and with that came money, which is never enough.

The best outcome would be if football disappeared, only to come back every 4 years... so this might be a step in the right direction...

Why? Because you don't like it?
    No, it's because TV has killed lower tier leagues... all the money goes to the premier league and even there, it mainly goes to the top teams... which funny enough are in debt...
    It's just rotten. If revenues were limited to seats on bums, it would be a much better system... but it's utopia of course... although, fast forward 20 years and nobody in Europe will care about football, let alone pay to watch it, that's the direction of travel
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

If you want to see an example of how questionable money has influenced football, you have to look at the Ligue 1.
    Before 2012, PSG was a team with a very average palmares, then came money and they are now the only French team people know about. In the 1990s it was Marseille, with Tapie's money... then came Lyon... before either of them, the teams to beat were Nantes and Bordeaux... ever heard of them?

Yes but I am older than you so it proves your point. To someone like me who doesn't follow French football but has watched European games clubs like Nantes, Bordeaux, and St Etienne too would be names I'm very familiar with.

The ironic thing is many of these clubs are only richer because of their domestic league. Rangers and Celtic would be huge if they had been allowed to join the Premier League, there must be many others around Europe with huge domestic fan bases who have faded in European terms because they play in a league without much TV money.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,259

pblakeney said:

Because they've chosen to go their own way. Wish them ill and tell them to do one.

Fexit? 😉
    Quite frankly, discussions like these are the best things about football. Post match in the pub, Monday morning in the office etc. The actual sport is secondary.
    Well, I think some of those who voted for it did so in order to get a better deal out of UEFA rather than any great commitment to the idea.
    First case of buyer's regret filtering out already.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Well that lasted long. I suppose with Roman at Chelsea it is actually his own money at stake.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Among the 12, Chelsea is the one with no current debt... an easy decision for them...
  • kingstongraham

Among the 12, Chelsea is the one with no current debt... an easy decision for them...

Man City are out too.

It's over.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    And reportedly Atletico Madrid say no es para mi.
  • orraloon
    So what news was shuffled out in past 48 hours under cover of 'the end of moneyball'? Spaffer, what you been up to?
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

If you want to see an example of how questionable money has influenced football, you have to look at the Ligue 1.
    Before 2012, PSG was a team with a very average palmares, then came money and they are now the only French team people know about. In the 1990s it was Marseille, with Tapie's money... then came Lyon... before either of them, the teams to beat were Nantes and Bordeaux... ever heard of them?

Yes but I am older than you so it proves your point. To someone like me who doesn't follow French football but has watched European games clubs like Nantes, Bordeaux, and St Etienne too would be names I'm very familiar with.

The ironic thing is many of these clubs are only richer because of their domestic league. Rangers and Celtic would be huge if they had been allowed to join the Premier League, there must be many others around Europe with huge domestic fan bases who have faded in European terms because they play in a league without much TV money.
    There is some truth in what you write, especially wrt Portuguese teams:
    About a decade ago, the two teams with the most registered fans, i.e. members of the teams' official fan-clubs, were Fenerbahce Istanbul (162,000 registered fans) and Benfica Lisbon (160,000).
    Then followed Barcelona, ManU, Bayern, and Arsenal before the next 'outsider', Porto (103,000). Then Porto-Alegre in Brazil, Sporting Lisbon and only in 10th place, Real Madrid (91,000).

About the same time there was a market research study to see which teams had the most fans worldwide, without having any actual fan-club membership - admittedly a more fluid thing. 8 of the 12 teams prepared to join the Super League were in the top ten, from Barcelona (44 million fans worldwide) to Juventus (18 million). The two in the top ten list not joining the Super League were Zenit St. Petersburg (24 million - not invited) and Bayern (20 million-categorically against).

• ugo.santalucia
    Game over... even better, so the all top football will go bust...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited April 2021

Game over... even better, so the all top football will go bust...

All the top football?

No, no it won't.

Barca, Real and Juve seem to be in trouble. The rest, not so much
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,787
    A levelling of the playing field is a good thing, no?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    Real Madrid reported (aka football podcast chatter) as having debts of €1bn. Giz the money, go on giz it.

Ed Woodward being shown the door from Man Utd. And so the game continues...
  • kingstongraham
    This is all very funny
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,680
    Can we all go back to fretting about BBC coverage of the Royals?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631

This is all very funny

I know why you think that, but it has empowered the corrupt and incompetent organisations like UEFA and FIFA. Nothing good has come out of it.
  • kingstongraham

This is all very funny

I know why you think that, but it has empowered the corrupt and incompetent organisations like UEFA and FIFA. Nothing good has come out of it.
    Only empowered over football though.
  • elbowloh
    Liverpool players are sharing this

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    😂🤣😂

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76

This is all very funny

yep, UEFA and FIFA just got lucky being seated on the moral high ground. We'll still have to send club players on stupid internationals and money making gimmicks whenever they call
  • kingstongraham
    It's better than the Premier league.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    That super league thing went well then.

Talk about weakening your position.

Oh the conflict of how needing to spend loads to maintain your lucrative position diminishes how lucrative that advantage is.

Maybe they need to get serious about financial rules being a good thing rather than a restraint on them.
  • elbowloh
    Seems like the fan protests did actually have a big influence. The fans also contacted major club sponsors who got the message and exerted pressure from their end.

Governments saw that it wasn't popular with the people and reacted quickly.

It's not going to happen, but it would be great if they would follow through with plans for fan ownership that were touted by some in government.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,724
    morstar said:

That super league thing went well then.

Talk about weakening your position.

Oh the conflict of how needing to spend loads to maintain your lucrative position diminishes how lucrative that advantage is.

Maybe they need to get serious about financial rules being a good thing rather than a restraint on them.

I read they got a slug of extra money from UEFA
  • kingstongraham
    Like I said - they've been threatening a breakaway European super league every time they want more money for as long as I can remember.

Now they'll go "sorry about that, we all good?" And ask for a larger share for the big clubs.