Football stuff

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Apparently:

Lot of very unhappy sponsors of Big 6 clubs after this. Keep partners in the dark at your peril. Contracts being reviewed re reputational damage, loss of value. Extensions and new business just got a lot harder too. Make no mistake, there will be big commercial consequences.

I don't think so
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

P.S. Small tip of the hat to Roman Abramovich. Sits there looking like he doesn't care, but behind that astute numbers man he was the first to go with the fans.

And yet they'd been discussing this for months, and on Sunday he thought it was a great idea.
  • kingstongraham
    I watched a few minutes of football tonight for first time in ages.

Never seen him play before, but Phil Foden is unbelievably talented.

A whole match of Man City would test my patience. But Foden - seriously good.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Yes he's a good player - its possible he becomes the best English player of my lifetime.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868
    News that English teams are pushing for Celtic/Rangers to join the Premiership and reduce the league to 18 teams.

Can't help but feel that mid table mediocrity for Celtic or Rangers would be undesirable, or worse, one of them getting relegated.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Heard some of the hype but wasn’t really paying much attention to Foden until the last couple of months when I actually sat down and watched him play. Amazing ball control, quick feet, his first touch is superb. Hopefully his confidence keeps growing and he might set the Euros alight this summer.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Jezyboy said:

News that English teams are pushing for Celtic/Rangers to join the Premiership and reduce the league to 18 teams.

Can't help but feel that mid table mediocrity for Celtic or Rangers would be undesirable, or worse, one of them getting relegated.

This subject came up last time round. Bottom line is that they would have much stronger squads with premier league status and cash.
    Bottom clubs don't want to be relegated to accommodate them and some of the top clubs don't want to be threatened. Can't see it happening.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

This subject came up last time round. Bottom line is that they would have much stronger squads with premier league status and cash.
    Bottom clubs don't want to be relegated to accommodate them and some of the top clubs don't want to be threatened. Can't see it happening.
    I don’t see it either but from a sporting perspective, it’s the logical move.

Gives them serious competition (and revenue) but reduce their odds of winning the title from their current 50:50.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

Gives them serious competition (and revenue) but reduce their odds of winning the title from their current 50:50.
    I really do not see how that is a logical move, why not go all in and pick up the big teams from lower tier leagues such as PSV and Ajax?

Rangers and Celtic would not get promoted from the Championship so the argument that they would have stronger squads with Premiership status and cash could eually be made to Derby or Coventry.
  • kingstongraham
    edited April 2021

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

I really do not see how that is a logical move, why not go all in and pick up the big teams from lower tier leagues such as PSV and Ajax?

Rangers and Celtic would not get promoted from the Championship so the argument that they would have stronger squads with Premiership status and cash could eually be made to Derby or Coventry.
    Derby and Coventry don't have quite the ready made global fan base of Rangers and Celtic.

They bring more cash to the table for everyone.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868
    Do they have a ready made global fanbase? Would have thought that Birmingham, for example had a fairly good connection with lots of people round the world. Yet Villa and Birmingham City are hardly titans of the game.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Yes Derby would sell out at Pride Park at around 33-34k if they went up but the big Scottish clubs have a huge fan base all over the world - especially Celtic with their historical link to Ireland.

As someone said above the big Premier League clubs wouldn't want the competition and the next tier who are in or who might realistically hope to get in the Premier League would find there were two fewer spots for them.

The only way I could see it appealing to the majority would be if it came with a Premier League 1 and 2 so those clubs have a degree of financial security if they did drop out of the top division. Two divisions of say 18 clubs to open up more space for European competition and a League Cup restricted to the non-Euro teams might also suit the big 6.

I could see that appealing to a lot of clubs but still not sure it needs the Scottish pair as part of the deal to appeal.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    Jezyboy said:

Do they have a ready made global fanbase? Would have thought that Birmingham, for example had a fairly good connection with lots of people round the world. Yet Villa and Birmingham City are hardly titans of the game.

Celtic particularly, yes.
  • Apparently Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona have yet to officially withdraw. If two of them subsequently do so, does that make the remaining club European Super League champions?
  • kingstongraham

Apparently Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona have yet to officially withdraw. If two of them subsequently do so, does that make the remaining club European Super League champions?

All that lovely TV money and not shared with anyone. Quids in.
  • surrey_commuter

Jezyboy said:

still inconsequential compared to the money in Asia

my point is that they are nowhere near good enough to play in the Premier League and to say they would be with Premier League money is irrelevant.

In footballing terms they are foreign so if we are opening up that door let's invite people who are closer, speak better English and bring less religious bigotry
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    If PRO football is to survive, then strict financial rules are needed, foreign investment needs to be scrutinised and whichever team breaks the rules, should be excluded.
    Right now, it's a mess, half the clubs break the code of conduct and get small fines and short term penalties, which validates the approach.
    That is obviously easier to implement in a league of 20, than it is in ECA with over 200 clubs or UEFA (which is a gang of crooks anyway)
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstongraham

Jezyboy said:

my point is that they are nowhere near good enough to play in the Premier League and to say they would be with Premier League money is irrelevant.

In footballing terms they are foreign so if we are opening up that door let's invite people who are closer, speak better English and bring less religious bigotry
    Premier League should invite Celtic, Rangers, PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid to join. Provide a refuge for clubs too big for their own league.
  • morstar

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

It’s logical because two teams enormously distort the Scottish scene to the benefit of nobody other than vanity trophies and they are British (for now) clubs.

It is logical for the two giants of Scottish football to want to play regularly in a competitive league.
    They would be better prepared to compete in European competition and any Scottish players would be better prepped for international duties.

Elite sport is about competing at the highest level. Rangers and Celtic should want to be part of Premier league and their inclusion would not be a detriment to the league. If anything the opposite.

All that is caveated with sensible financial rules. Without those I.e. presently, it doesn’t make sense.
  • surrey_commuter
    morstar said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

It’s logical because two teams enormously distort the Scottish scene to the benefit of nobody other than vanity trophies and they are British (for now) clubs.

It is logical for the two giants of Scottish football to want to play regularly in a competitive league.
    They would be better prepared to compete in European competition and any Scottish players would be better prepped for international duties.

Elite sport is about competing at the highest level. Rangers and Celtic should want to be part of Premier league and their inclusion would not be a detriment to the league. If anything the opposite.

All that is caveated with sensible financial rules. Without those I.e. presently, it doesn’t make sense.
    In football terms british means nothing as we have chosen to keep separate football asssociations.

I can see why they would want to join the English Premier League but I really struggle with why anybody would want them and why they should be allowed
  • surrey_commuter

Jezyboy said:

Premier League should invite Celtic, Rangers, PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid to join. Provide a refuge for clubs too big for their own league.
    throw in Juventus and Bayern and we have nearly squared the circle.

Maybe there could be a rule that once you win your domestic league 5 years in a row you get promoted to the English Pemier league
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Having been to a few Celtic 'friendlies' with lads I know who support them it would be utter carnage them being in the PL and would be kicking off every week.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    This has been proposed quite a few times in the past two decades.

It would collapse the SPL and then the PL would be the hypocrites given the reasons for opposing the Super League
  • morstar
    Shucks, it’s not as though I think it’s going to happen.

But the SPL is a pointless league. EPL is bad enough but a two team league...
  • morstar
    +Cardiff
  • morstar
    And Swansea.
  • kingstongraham

I watched a few minutes of football tonight for first time in ages.

Never seen him play before, but Phil Foden is unbelievably talented.

A whole match of Man City would test my patience. But Foden - seriously good.

This was one of the moments:

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    I'm not a Man Citeh fan but Foden is a marvellous talent - as mentioned above, he could really light up the Euros and become one of the best Englosh players we have ever seen. He is also relatively eloquent when a microphone is stuck in front of him . . . relatively
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876

I'm not a Man Citeh fan but Foden is a marvellous talent - as mentioned above, he could really light up the Euros and become one of the best Englosh players we have ever seen. He is also relatively eloquent when a microphone is stuck in front of him . . . relatively

He just looks like he'd knick your phone and bike, whilst dealing drugs to the 13 yos!

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Foden and the left-sided combo of Rashford and Shaw could cause a lot of problems.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/