Football stuff

Comments

• longy said:

I didn't watch the game are you implying the England team over celebrated or...?

Re women's international football England are only 8th in the FIFA rankings so there are plenty of competitive teams - it doesn't match the men's game for strength in depth but men's football is probably unique in being a major sport in almost every country.

I am saying that they should have taken their foot off the gas. Once you are over 12 years old you should be past trying to beat people by double figures.
    Why?
    thrashing somebody far inferior to you lacks class. Think about why it is a rarity.

I know this is different but do you think Mancini would have let it happen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea6t_FCQ6Vc
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593

I didn't watch the game are you implying the England team over celebrated or...?

Re women's international football England are only 8th in the FIFA rankings so there are plenty of competitive teams - it doesn't match the men's game for strength in depth but men's football is probably unique in being a major sport in almost every country.

I am saying that they should have taken their foot off the gas. Once you are over 12 years old you should be past trying to beat people by double figures.
    I'd disagree with that. Whilst scores like this aren't good for anyone I think the England coach had the better answer which is that lower ranked teams should have to pre-qualify for this stage. The Republic of Ireland also won 11-0 and Scotland lost 8-0, there just isn't the strength in depth but taking your foot of the gas shouldn't be the solution, that would just come across as a bit condescending. Even when a Premier League team plays a non-league team in the FA cup you don't very often get scores in double figures and whilst they may use quite a few fringe players I don't think they ever 'take it easy' during the game.

Thrashings like this occur in rugby quite regularly and it is arguable that it is more of an issue from a safety point of view having mismatches there but equally trying to back off a bit can also result in injuries.
  • Pross said:

I'd disagree with that. Whilst scores like this aren't good for anyone I think the England coach had the better answer which is that lower ranked teams should have to pre-qualify for this stage. The Republic of Ireland also won 11-0 and Scotland lost 8-0, there just isn't the strength in depth but taking your foot of the gas shouldn't be the solution, that would just come across as a bit condescending. Even when a Premier League team plays a non-league team in the FA cup you don't very often get scores in double figures and whilst they may use quite a few fringe players I don't think they ever 'take it easy' during the game.

Thrashings like this occur in rugby quite regularly and it is arguable that it is more of an issue from a safety point of view having mismatches there but equally trying to back off a bit can also result in injuries.
    I would argue that picking a weakened team is a form of taking your foot off the gas and that in football dropping the tempo by 5-10% is taking it easy when you are 3-0 up
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420

At a certain level maybe but at the top it’s disrespectful to give anything but your best.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    A lot of headers
  • England's men hit double figures last month.
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    seanoconn said:

At a certain level maybe but at the top it’s disrespectful to give anything but your best.
    This
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    What is the alternative to keeping scoring, just keep passing for 45 minutes. Or deliberately keep missing.
    Neither are professional.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    edited December 2021
    webboo said:

What is the alternative to keeping scoring, just keep passing for 45 minutes. Or deliberately keep missing.

Typically the losing team just plays really defensively (to avoid humiliation) and the winning team thinks about the next game, doesn't make as many runs off the ball, doesn't press as much, makes subs for inexperienced kids etc. and generally just conserves lots of energy.

• Pross
    Another 10-0 match tonight. I guess the downside of the game becoming more professional in several countries is it is making the gulf to the others increasingly large.
  • webboo said:

Typically the losing team just plays really defensively (to avoid humiliation) and the winning team thinks about the next game, doesn't make as many runs off the ball, doesn't press as much, makes subs for inexperienced kids etc. and generally just conserves lots of energy.

Exactly this
  • Pross
    So when do people think Benitez will get his P45, tonight or tomorrow?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited December 2021

webboo said:

Exactly this
    Why do they need to save lots of energy. I would have thought it would give them the opportunity to try tactics in a live situation.
    Not playing with a ruthless attitude has held back UK sport for years. Do you see other nations doing this.
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    What's more humiliating? Losing 20-0 or losing 10-0 to a side who aren't even trying?
  • webboo said:

webboo said:

Exactly this
    Why do they need to save lots of energy. I would have thought it would give them the opportunity to try tactics in a live situation.
    Not playing with a ruthless attitude has held back UK sport for years. Do you see other nations doing this.
    this is how other nations operate and how it works in mens club football
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited December 2021
    Happens in lots of sports (going soft on the losers when the match is won)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,272
    edited December 2021
    England took off White after an hour when she'd got her hat trick and brought on Russo for only her second cap. She then got a hat trick as well.

Three of the other four subs scored too.

Don't see that they are going to give up on international goals.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    We are assuming that England weren't taking it easy?

Watching the goals there's some good quality attacking play there - of course against an opposition a couple of levels below but I think England were just enjoying themselves.

There's competition for places in that team and elite women players are extremely competitive people - they will want to do well for themselves and for the team the feelings of the opposition don't come into it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    If a player is brought on as a sub that means they are not first pick.
    The way to become first pick is to prove yourself so...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • If the women's game, or any sport for that matter, wants to appear credible and attract more spectators it's needs to avoid results like that.
  • Pross said:

I think the problem is the players available for selection.
  • If the women's game, or any sport for that matter, wants to appear credible and attract more spectators it's needs to avoid results like that.

exactly
  • Pross

England took off White after an hour when she'd got her hat trick and brought on Russo for only her second cap. She then got a hat trick as well.

Three of the other four subs scored too.

Don't see that they are going to give up on international goals.

This. Some players may have never got another chance to score for their country.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Possibly but he's got the problem of poor results and not being liked by fans. There was some suggestion that winning the Merseyside derby might buy him some time.

I thought the fans walking out after 10 minutes were a bit pathetic.

exactly
    That's not for the winning players to sort out in my opinion.

Rugby does OK despite having teams beaten by 60+ points to nil who have qualified for the actual world cup.
  • seanoconn

If the women's game, or any sport for that matter, wants to appear credible and attract more spectators it's needs to avoid results like that.

exactly
    I’d rather watch 20 goals than 0-0. More appealing to the American market too.
  • seanoconn
    edited December 2021
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Possibly but he's got the problem of poor results and not being liked by fans. There was some suggestion that winning the Merseyside derby might buy him some time.

I thought the fans walking out after 10 minutes were a bit pathetic.<</b>/blockquote>

This is the level of genius you can expect from footie fans.
  • seanoconn
    Working out why my bit is in bold too is another level of genius! 😕
  • There's a < in the wrong place