Football stuff

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Should have got a man sent off in the first 5 minutes, they didn't concede after Pogba went. Bit embarrassing for Liverpool not scoring in the last 40 minutes.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    edited October 2021
    It felt like Liverpool couldn't be bothered once they went 5 up and just passed the ball around instead. Man Utd couldn't have complained if they'd been given 3 reds in that second half.
  • #BruceIn
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Difficult to see where Utd will go from here. Game to game the team selection looks ok but there's no feeling of what the whole is supposed to be, how they play, what they are working on - basically what the philosophy is.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586

Difficult to see where Utd will go from here. Game to game the team selection looks ok but there's no feeling of what the whole is supposed to be, how they play, what they are working on - basically what the philosophy is.

Give Ronaldo the ball to score.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193

Love this.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Have to accept that few sports have moments like Stockport vs Bolton besides kickball...

(Cycling probably a rare alternative actually)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

Have to accept that few sports have moments like Stockport vs Bolton besides kickball...

Absolutely buzzed off that game. Reminded me of why I fell in love with the game as a kid.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366

ddraver said:

Absolutely buzzed off that game. Reminded me of why I fell in love with the game as a kid.
    Absolutely brilliant stuff and a great advert for National League football. They deserve to have made a bag full of money from that - great entertainment.

. . . fell in love with the game and ended up supporting Cov? Harsh.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ddraver said:

Absolutely brilliant stuff and a great advert for National League football. They deserve to have made a bag full of money from that - great entertainment.

:D

As a 5 year old kid, watching Keith Houchen flying though the air like Roy of the Rovers at Wembley was the stuff of dreams.

I'll be honest I was already sold as my dad started taking me to Highfield Road in 85.

Boot is on the other foot now and the joy I'm getting from taking my 6 & 8 year old around the country following Cov is unbelievable. They've seen Cov win at Wembley twice, two promotions and now flying high in the Championship. The last 3 years have definitely rivalled the Premier League years for enjoyment. After what the fans have been through for the 15 years previous I don't think anyone could really begrudge us.
  • ddraver said:

As a 5 year old kid, watching Keith Houchen flying though the air like Roy of the Rovers at Wembley was the stuff of dreams.

I'll be honest I was already sold as my dad started taking me to Highfield Road in 85.

Boot is on the other foot now and the joy I'm getting from taking my 6 & 8 year old around the country following Cov is unbelievable. They've seen Cov win at Wembley twice, two promotions and now flying high in the Championship. The last 3 years have definitely rivalled the Premier League years for enjoyment. After what the fans have been through for the 15 years previous I don't think anyone could really begrudge us.
    is that taking them around the country to watch home games?
  • ddraver said:

is that taking them around the country to watch home games?

Very good
  • I did wonder if Norwich considered Mark Robins in the last fortnight.
  • laurentian

ddraver said:

Although I'm a life time fan of your erstwhile landlords (Northampton Town), the first "proper" football match I ever went to was at Highfield Road c.1975 - a mates Dad took a car full of us for my mates birthday. Been to the Ricoh (or whatever it's called now) a few times and think it's a great stadium - good to see Cov back there and good to see them finally stringing a good couple of seasons together. Enjoy it while it lasts!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • DeVlaeminck
    Ive an older brother who went to Cov's cup final win. He's not a Coventry fan he was just studying at Cov Poly at the time and went to a couple of games during the season.

Shows how times have changed I don't imagine you could get a cup final ticket unless you had a season ticket or membership these days aren't about 50% distributed to local FAs, sponsors etc?
  • laurentian
    So, does anyone have an inkling as to how Messi won the Ballon D'Or?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    edited November 2021

He marginally outperformed Ronaldo so, by default, he won as no-one else is allowed to.
  • Was it the same judges who made him player of the tournament at the world cup?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

I’m sure the phoney award for Lewandowski will keep him happy and quiet 😕 Robbed.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Mostly to pee off Ronaldo from what I've read.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Does anyone really care? I can't believe the event gets so much coverage and is televised
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218

His performance in the Copa America, which by all accounts he absolutely dominated.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ten different scorers, 4 with hat tricks.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Latvia must be no better than a regional league side (5-6th tiers, 7th are local leagues) - bit ridiculous and perhaps an example of where copying the men's football structure doesn't work.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    pblakeney said:

Mostly to pee off Ronaldo from what I've read.

Good idea it was then.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Latvia must be no better than a regional league side (5-6th tiers, 7th are local leagues) - bit ridiculous and perhaps an example of where copying the men's football structure doesn't work.

You would expect our ladies to be more “professional” there is an enormous gap between the couple of teams with professional leagues and the rest. Then layer on the gulf in population sizes.

In a fathers vs sons football match you would be embarrassed and have a stiff word with your team mates. Their behaviour has set back the credibility of women’s football.
  • DeVlaeminck
    edited December 2021
    I didn't watch the game are you implying the England team over celebrated or...?

Re women's international football England are only 8th in the FIFA rankings so there are plenty of competitive teams - it doesn't match the men's game for strength in depth but men's football is probably unique in being a major sport in almost every country.
  • I didn't watch the game are you implying the England team over celebrated or...?

Re women's international football England are only 8th in the FIFA rankings so there are plenty of competitive teams - it doesn't match the men's game for strength in depth but men's football is probably unique in being a major sport in almost every country.

I am saying that they should have taken their foot off the gas. Once you are over 12 years old you should be past trying to beat people by double figures.
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74

I didn't watch the game are you implying the England team over celebrated or...?

I am saying that they should have taken their foot off the gas. Once you are over 12 years old you should be past trying to beat people by double figures.
    Why?