Football stuff

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    He doesn't want to leave Barcelona. La Liga have told Barcelona that their wage bill is too high and contracts cannot be renewed. He or others have to go and he is ageing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364

Maybe it is just about the money.

Seems that way. Also, he's an injury liability given his age.
    Messi probably needs to have a reality check and expect less.
    Ronaldo (C) did the right thing by going to Juventus before he reached OAP status on the back of a longer contract than he would have got at RM.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    pinno said:

Ronaldo (C) did the right thing by going to Juventus before he reached OAP status on the back of a longer contract than he would have got at RM.

I always thought they had different drivers.

I got the impression Ronaldo really has to be the world best and takes motivation from the world not always recognising that.

I get the impression Messi is more self motivated and more interested in the team winning (not that Ronaldo isn’t interesting in winning, but as an outcome of his greatness).

Anyway if it is about money Messi’s a mug. What is it all for?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,925
    Could Messi just want a different challenge? If it is just about money surely you would just retire to China.

Its just a shame that with Stoke in the Championship, we won't get to find out whether he can do it on a cold rainy night in Stoke.
  • pinno said:

Messi is less of an injury liability than some players half his age. He is pretty much the same age as Ronaldo when he left Real.
  • pinno said:

I always thought they had different drivers.

I got the impression Ronaldo really has to be the world best and takes motivation from the world not always recognising that.

I get the impression Messi is more self motivated and more interested in the team winning (not that Ronaldo isn’t interesting in winning, but as an outcome of his greatness).

Anyway if it is about money Messi’s a mug. What is it all for?
    Maybe he wants to earn more money for his foundation?

With footballers it tends to be more about a comparison with what others are earning, so arguably status.

So if we assume that Grealish is costing City £40m a year what do you reckon Messi is worth?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    A timely reminder for perspective.
    Jack Grealish - £300,000-per-week.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    The trouble for Messi is he's past his peak - go to the Premier League now and he risks people saying I knew he was only able to do it for Barcelona. Depends on his mindset I suppose.

Also where does he see as home now. If it's Argentina might he want to go back there and ay for a couple of years ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364

pinno said:

...and takes motivation from the world not always recognising that.
    Ronaldo has appeared in 12 out of the last 13 Ballon d'or awards , winning it 5 times.
    FIFA world player of the year 2007, 2008, 2009 - 3rd, 1st, 2nd respectively.
    He's surpassed Pele's goal record.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

pinno said:

...and takes motivation from the world not always recognising that.
    Ronaldo has appeared in 12 out of the last 13 Ballon d'or awards , winning it 5 times.
    FIFA world player of the year 2007, 2008, 2009 - 3rd, 1st, 2nd respectively.
    He's surpassed Pele's goal record.

Sure but did you see how he bristled when he didn’t win?
  • pblakeney said:

A timely reminder for perspective.
    Jack Grealish - £300,000-per-week.

And bought for £100m so if he is on a 4 year contract it is another £25m a year, or £500k a week.

£1m a week for Messi seems like the bargain of the century
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Found the penalty decision in the Olympic final a bit weird. Commentator suggested it was the right decision but all I saw was the keeper jumping to punch the ball clear and missing then colliding shoulder to head with a player jumping in to head the ball who also missed.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Apparently Varane is not yet a Man U player, he's not signed a contract with the club yet.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    From someone who has little interest in the club game the messi PSG move seems to be the softest option he could hand chosen.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389

From someone who has little interest in the club game the messi PSG move seems to be the softest option he could hand chosen.

For one of the greatest players the game has ever seen, its a very "soft" move to have taken.

No challenge in the French league as PSG will p*ss the league with or without him but I suppose there's very few clubs that would be able to afford him - surely a move to any one of four or five clubs in the premier league would have presented a greater challenge and chance to leave a more impressive legacy . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266

Couple more years playing in the champions league with a good team without the tedious bother of tiring yourself out qualifying for it. For £29m per year after tax, living in Paris.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Couple more years playing in the champions league with a good team without the tedious bother of tiring yourself out qualifying for it. For £29m per year after tax, living in Paris.
    Not many competitive matches though. Many sports players live for that competition.
  • rick_chasey

Not many competitive matches though. Many sports players live for that competition.
    Yes that was my point.

I read somewhere the chances of PSG winning a 20 team league were 90% which seems obscene and deeply uncompetitive.

• kingstongraham
    edited August 2021

PSG lost more league matches than Barcelona last season.

I think I'm arguing against myself here.
  • rick_chasey
    Has there been a stronger front three than Mbappe, Neymar, Messi?
  • elbowloh

PSG have signed Messi, Ramos, Wijnaldum and Donnarumma all for free in the closed season. They're aiming for a run at the CL clearly.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    elbowloh said:

PSG have signed Messi, Ramos, Wijnaldum and Donnarumma all for free in the closed season. They're aiming for a run at the CL clearly.
    Yes, I imagined messi isn't planning to play 35 league matches this year.
  • From someone who has little interest in the club game the messi PSG move seems to be the softest option he could hand chosen.

Yes that was my point.

I read somewhere the chances of PSG winning a 20 team league were 90% which seems obscene and deeply uncompetitive.

It sure if you know they did not win it last year?

They may have great players but the manager is a nobody
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021

Yes that was my point.

It sure if you know they did not win it last year?

They may have great players but the manager is a nobody
    What are the bookies saying this year?

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/france/ligue-1

1-8 - next highest is 22-1
  • elbowloh
    Brentford are leading again Arsenal.

Not sure if that counts as a shock nowadays.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Second goal for Brentford. The keeper is surely being held and prevented from going for the ball, has to be a foul!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    elbowloh said:

Second goal for Brentford. The keeper is surely being held and prevented from going for the ball, has to be a foul!

I don't think I'm ever going to understand VAR.
  • DeVlaeminck
    edited August 2021

Yes that was my point.

Think 3 other sides have won it recently as well as psg - surprised me when that stat was on the radio earlier but I don't think it's as uncompetitive as is sometimes said.
  • DeVlaeminck
    elbowloh said:

Keeper also holding the defenders shirt so doubt VAR would give it even last year.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Watching MOTD this morning and one of the teams had a free kick just outside the box. The defending team set up their wall but then had a player lying on the floor behind the wall facing goal. I've never seen it before but assume it is to protect from the shot that goes under the wall when they jump. Is this a new thing or have I somehow missed it previously?