Football stuff

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Money, money, money....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633

It was never going to be moved to London unless the UK Govt gave waivers to all the UEFA pigs with their snouts in the trough. They don't give a censored about the actual fans of the clubs involved.

Quite, so if the big clubs wanted to exert their power in a sensible way, this would have been a good time to announce that it was being played in England. Instead, the big clubs decided to become even worse than UEFA and FIFA and blew any credibility they had.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Portugal is on the green list so fans should be able to travel?

If I was a fan of either club I'd be buzzing about a trip to Portugal. Is that not what European football is all about?

Both clubs play at Wembley so often there is nothing special in that, yet a European Cup Final in Portugal? I'd be all over that.

Of course it's about money. It's what has ruined football over the last 30 years.
  • TheBigBean

If I was a fan of either club I'd be buzzing about a trip to Portugal. Is that not what European football is all about?

Both clubs play at Wembley so often there is nothing special in that, yet a European Cup Final in Portugal? I'd be all over that.

Of course it's about money. It's what has ruined football over the last 30 years.

At the moment, people can only enter Portugal for essential reasons. They may be planning to change that soon. Nonetheless, getting a load of people to unnecessarily travel in the middle of pandemic sounds a bit foolish.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

At the moment, people can only enter Portugal for essential reasons. They may be planning to change that soon. Nonetheless, getting a load of people to unnecessarily travel in the middle of pandemic sounds a bit foolish.
    Agreed, and very pleased UK said no
  • TheBigBean

Agreed, and very pleased UK said no
    It would be enough for me to amber list Portugal. If they are going to allow a load of people from (UK) red list countries to fly in without quarantine, I'm not sure how they can be treated as a green list country.

• TheBigBean
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    edited May 2021
    I think the UCI are useless but this is amazingly stupid - different level.

Makes no sense.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    They are still going to let fans in, but it's plane-match-plane.

If you had booked a holiday based on the green list, that's a different matter.
  • TheBigBean

Are you suggesting it's a sensible decision?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Is anyone surprised the UEFA administrators didn't want to give up their weekend expenses paid jolly?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931

Is anyone surprised the UEFA administrators didn't want to give up their weekend expenses paid jolly?

Snouts in the trough at the expense of the real fans. Course not.
  • kingstongraham

Are you suggesting it's a sensible decision?
    God no - one of the first places to have fans without it being a test event being somewhere that they all have to fly to is insane.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    what is a "real" football fan?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • surrey_commuter
    Flâneur said:

In the olden days if a club reached the FA Cup Final they would allocated tickets based upon games attended that reason. I would argue that these are real football fans.

UEFA allocated tickets to the “football family” this means that huge numbers are given to the sponsors.
  • TheBigBean

Flâneur said:

In the olden days if a club reached the FA Cup Final they would allocated tickets based upon games attended that reason. I would argue that these are real football fans.

UEFA allocated tickets to the “football family” this means that huge numbers are given to the sponsors.
    Old days are still how it works. My season ticket doesn't get me a cup final ticket or an away ticket. Priority goes to those fans with the most away credits having attended the most away matches in the last two years. It's an entirely reasonable system that no one objects to.

Of course, what everyone objects to is that a third of the tickets disappear to FA/UEFA family. I don't even mind the idea of neutrals buying tickets by way of a lottery or something, but the idea that relatives of governing body admins should attend does nothing for the game in my view.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931

Flâneur said:

Old days are still how it works. My season ticket doesn't get me a cup final ticket or an away ticket. Priority goes to those fans with the most away credits having attended the most away matches in the last two years. It's an entirely reasonable system that no one objects to.

Of course, what everyone objects to is that a third of the tickets disappear to FA/UEFA family. I don't even mind the idea of neutrals buying tickets by way of a lottery or something, but the idea that relatives of governing body admins should attend does nothing for the game in my view.

I don't think the CL finalist got anywhere close to 1/3 of the seats per club in normal times. I think it was more like about 8k tickets per club even in an 80,000+ stadium.
    It should be 40% per club, and the rest for neutrals or the pigs.
  • TheBigBean

Flâneur said:

I don't think the CL finalist got anywhere close to 1/3 of the seats per club in normal times. I think it was more like about 8k tickets per club even in an 80,000+ stadium.
    It should be 40% per club, and the rest for neutrals or the pigs.
    The year Wembley hosted, I looked at the figures and it was approximately a third. Perhaps because Wembley has 90k. The league final got the most, then the FA cup and then the champions league.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    It used to be great when the FA Cup went to a replay because it meant all the tickets pretty much went to fans of the clubs. Seems bizarre now that they had final replays into the 1990s
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,578
    Seems bizarre that it used to be exciting waiting for the match whoever was in the final with ITV and BBC going head to head with their build up to the game and the match itself. The last few years it has barely registered with me that it was happening.

I'd like to see it providing a Champions League place rather than a 4th place in the league getting it. The competition no longer has any attraction once the small teams and their potential giant killing have gone.
  • kingstongraham

It used to be great when the FA Cup went to a replay because it meant all the tickets pretty much went to fans of the clubs. Seems bizarre now that they had final replays into the 1990s

It seems bizarre to me that it's been decided that literally no final in any competition is viewed as important enough to settle by playing football rather than penalties.
  • TheBigBean

It seems bizarre to me that it's been decided that literally no final in any competition is viewed as important enough to settle by playing football rather than penalties.
    I agree it's sad that penalty kicks have been deemed part of the game. I'd prefer both sides to lose players in extra-time.
  • kingstongraham

I agree it's sad that penalty kicks have been deemed part of the game. I'd prefer both sides to lose players in extra-time.
    Why not replays?
  • surrey_commuter

Flâneur said:

Flâneur said:

Previously the only people in front of you would have been the players friends and family, now a huge chunk must go to sponsors and those paying top dollar for corp tix will get priority
  • surrey_commuter

Just to continue a theme of us always disagreeing I love penalties and all domestic cup ties should be settled that way after 90 minutes. Plus it would help prepare us for intl. penalties
  • TheBigBean

Why not replays?
    Realism I suppose, but I don't mind replays.
  • TheBigBean

Just to continue a theme of us always disagreeing I love penalties and all domestic cup ties should be settled that way after 90 minutes. Plus it would help prepare us for intl. penalties
    I'll add that to the list of ridiculous opinions that I think you hold!

• rick_chasey

I have always advocated that after 90 mins each team must take a man off every 5 minutes until a goal is scored and the lead is protected for the remaining 5 mins.

You will eventually get a winner but it’s still football.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,578
    They did try the golden goal for a while but that just created negative football from two teams trying to avoid losing.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    Pross said:

They did try the golden goal for a while but that just created negative football from two teams trying to avoid losing.

Yeah but with fewer players it’s quite different plus no penalties