Ardennes* races **Spoilers**

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776

The overhead shot shows that it wasn't even close.
    Much faster than WVA.

Impressive
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pidcock - WVA was pulling super hard, maybe too hard in the end
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Was Pidcock bluffing a bit on the climbs? Seemed a bit less strong than the other two at some points - did he sucker WvA into pulling a little too hard?
  • mididoctors
    Proper British roadie interview... Lol
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Was Pidcock bluffing a bit on the climbs? Seemed a bit less strong than the other two at some points - did he sucker WvA into pulling a little too hard?

Maybe ... They saw MvdP get beat at Flanders ..he alluded to that
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

OMG they stopped the Sporza coverage for an emergency newsflash about corona restrictions.

OMG its a dictatorship :D
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    edited April 2021
    david37 said:

OMG they stopped the Sporza coverage for an emergency newsflash about corona restrictions.

OMG its a dictatorship :D
    Haha! touché.

Here's more bad news: Jumbo's Gijs Leemreize was booted off the race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553
    WvA needs a thread - he's clearly finished.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Can probably use the Cavendish one, given he's got no use for it anymore
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147

That's the problem with these 'new generations'. Every year there's a new one.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542

• blazing_saddles
    edited April 2021
    Time to look at the Amstel course I suppose.
    Not sure what to make of it and there's no consensus among the Dutch lads over on CN.
    The final laps misses out the Cauberg.

So, opinions vary from: "It's a lot harder than it looks as there's no recovery," to: "not selective enough, a reduced bunch sprint,"

Women's race coverage starts at 10-05am BST.
    Men's race coverage starts at 1pm BST.

• bobmcstuff
    You'd think 11 times up the Cauberg would result in some kind of selection, even if it isn't that hard on its own?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,336
    And yet I'm pondering switching my PTP pick due to no Cauberg in the final.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2021

You'd think 11 times up the Cauberg would result in some kind of selection, even if it isn't that hard on its own?

Remember the 2012 world championships?

267 km, Start in Maastricht, then, after 106 km through the southern part of the province of Limburg.

10 x Circuit (10 x 16.125 km)

Circuit = west on Rijksweg in Vilt, continuing through Berg en Terblijt onto Bergerstraat, turning left grazing Maastricht on the east by going south on Molenweg, then turning left and continuing east on Bemelerweg, continuing onto Oude Akerstraat and Bemelerberg through Bemelen, continuing onto Gasthuis, turning left and continuing northeast On Smitserweg, which turns into Bemelerweg grazing Sibbe on the west and into Daalhemerweg curving to north all the way into Valkenburg aan de Geul, at the end turning left onto Cauberg, back to Vilt.

30 riders made the foot of the Cauberg for the final time before Phil Gilbert did his usual thing for back then.

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905

267 km, Start in Maastricht, then, after 106 km through the southern part of the province of Limburg.

10 x Circuit (10 x 16.125 km)

Circuit = west on Rijksweg in Vilt, continuing through Berg en Terblijt onto Bergerstraat, turning left grazing Maastricht on the east by going south on Molenweg, then turning left and continuing east on Bemelerweg, continuing onto Oude Akerstraat and Bemelerberg through Bemelen, continuing onto Gasthuis, turning left and continuing northeast On Smitserweg, which turns into Bemelerweg grazing Sibbe on the west and into Daalhemerweg curving to north all the way into Valkenburg aan de Geul, at the end turning left onto Cauberg, back to Vilt.

30 riders made the foot of the Cauberg for the final time before Phil Gilbert did his usual thing for back then.

Even JTL made the final selection if I remember correctly?
  • bobmcstuff

Nope. Wasn't watching pro cycling then.
  • mididoctors

That makes me feel old
  • RichN95.
    phreak said:

Even JTL made the final selection if I remember correctly?

Yeah, but....

• rick_chasey
    Dullest world champs since the year before.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553
    The one where GB Team gave Gilbert an armchair ride. I could cope with the tedium, but not the tactics.
  • blazing_saddles

Here's the last 10 minutes of the race. Starts from just as they are arriving at the foot of the Cauberg, so you can see the size of the group.
    It has the added bonus of commentary from David Harmon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYm2ECRk8R4
  • rick_chasey
    In an interview years later, Gilbert was describing how much that effort hurt.

Said the burning was so bad it went all the way into his fingertips. “Just don’t sit down till you’re over the top”

Then went on to discuss with the other pros how you can only go so deep on days with top firm. Said he’s never gone so deep.
  • RichN95.
    Tom Dumoulin has come along to watch

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Longo Borghini messes up a definite top 2 by refusing to work with Niewiadoma in the final few hundred metres and letting a group back including Vos who took the win from Vollering and van Vleuten.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    can't say I was up early enough to watch it.

This is becoming a theme for the girls this year. Now that there are no uber-stars (AvV or AvdB) who are clearly stronger than the rest - or even a group of the rest working together - One person will sneak away and then the group of 5 or 6 big names behind just gives up (ok, won't work together).

With the exception of dish dash's training partner Anna Henderson, who is sent up the road to create a diversion for Vos, the problem now seems to be getting some domestiques who can contribute to chasing rather than being dropped immediately. Or, to disagree with Miss Niewiadoma, make the races longer and a bit more focussed on the last ~ 50km
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    ddraver said:

can't say I was up early enough to watch it.

This is becoming a theme for the girls this year. Now that there are no uber-stars (AvV or AvdB) who are clearly stronger than the rest - or even a group of the rest working together - One person will sneak away and then the group of 5 or 6 big names behind just gives up (ok, won't work together).

With the exception of dish dash's training partner Anna Henderson, who is sent up the road to create a diversion for Vos, the problem now seems to be getting some domestiques who can contribute to chasing rather than being dropped immediately. Or, to disagree with Miss Niewiadoma, make the races longer and a bit more focussed on the last ~ 50km

I'm not sure that is ultimately true.
    While AvDB has been having a pretty quiet season since Het Nieuwsblad, Vos and Van Vlueten have still managed to pretty much clean up in all the other major races.

You are right about the lack of domestiques able to go the distance though. It's the same old problem and possibly a contributing factor as to why the big races are still dominated by the same small group of big names.

• mididoctors
    Hopefully better pay may encourage a deeper peloton for the women
  • blazing_saddles
    Men’s race now live with 135kms to go.
    Matt Stephens and Adam Blyth on comms
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    65 to go,

Big names juuuust starting to wake up

Group of irrelevant 2. 30-ish up the road
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver