Ronde van Vlaanderen 2021 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Just got in ? Anything of note happened? What's the story ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Apparently there's some bug going round keeping people away?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

Just got in ? Anything of note happened? What's the story ?

Break allowed to go early and easily. An Astana rider on the front decided to jam his brakes on for no real reason so the Alpecin rider following gave him a shoulder barge and both got DQd inside the first 50k.

Other than that I went out for an hour and nothing seems to have happened except Schar having continual bike trouble.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    already the bunch looks quite small or is that just me?
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Pidcock went wrong side of the fence and is now at the back of the group. Quite funny
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Pace has gone up quite a lot under QS at 110km.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    marcus Burghardt, needs a rear wheel change which involves and drill due to disc brakes. Very slow change.
  • Pross
    Ineos in general seem badly positioned. I assume it's deliberate as Rowe is as good as anyone at being in the right place. I'd got used to seeing them at the front a lot more in one dayers this season. Hoping to save a bit? Seems dangerous in this race.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2021
    Schär thrown out of the race for throwing his bottle into nowhere

Not great for ag2r
  • rick_chasey

Not great for ag2r

Ironic as 2km later on the Holleweg there are bottles all over the road
  • Pross

Not great for ag2r

Seemed to throw it to spectators which feels harsh. He'll probably be glad to see the back of this race, it's been problem after problem for him.
  • rick_chasey
    It’s outrageous he’s been thrown off.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Not great for ag2r

It wasn't even into nowhere. You can see a t least one fan move to grab it. It's a shame that it's come to this. All fans will have to collect is the tonnes and tonnes of unrecyclable plastic crap thrown by the publicity caravan at the Tour
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    QS take it up hard into and on the Molenberg with asgreen leading and JA in 2nd, shadowed by WvA
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    RichN95. said:

Not great for ag2r

It wasn't even into nowhere. You can see a t least one fan move to grab it. It's a shame that it's come to this. All fans will have to collect is the tonnes and tonnes of unrecyclable plastic censored thrown by the publicity caravan at the Tour
    This is the salient point. These little rewards really make it a great experience for many fans. A team bottle rather than a bit of tat is memorable. The UCI need to apply some discretion and remember who really counts in the sport
  • mididoctors

Pretty petty
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

Yeah. I think the littering points are good and have no issue with a DQ for dumping wrappers outside that area or launching a bottle into a ravine but throwing a bottle to a group of spectators isn't going to see it being left for long.
  • mididoctors
    Blyth isn't wrong
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Mads Pedersen already leaving the wrong end of the peloton.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Break of 9? second stringers from most of the favourites teams sneak off. Ballerini and Rowe in there. AG2R missed it and have to get someone over.
  • Pross
    EBH, Geniez, Boy van Poppel among that group. I think it's 11 strong with De Wolf crossing but looks doomed.
  • mididoctors
    2 hrs of racing left?
  • rick_chasey

2 hrs of racing left?

Correct
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

EBH, Geniez, Boy van Poppel among that group. I think it's 11 strong with De Wolf crossing but looks doomed.

Correct prediction it is already finished.

QS still policing the front with Sky still attentive at 79km to go
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Really enjoying Dan Lloyd/Adam Blythe combo
  • Pross
    As the cricket commentator once said, don't rub 'em count 'em. Painful crash!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Really enjoying Dan Lloyd/Adam Blythe combo

Yep very entertaining, and they seem to be enjoying themselves too.

Kirby and Backstedt back soon though, boo
  • mididoctors
    Most of the race is off the back
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Kirby back in 7kms until the end.
    Anybody know what other language Eurosport commentators are any good?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

Kirby back in 7kms until the end.
    Anybody know what other language Eurosport commentators are any good?

Why are they doing it? This is as good a commentary pairing as you'll get in English language.