Women's safety

14567810»

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

seanoconn said:

I was talking to a couple of police officers this morning at the kids football and asked their option on matters. The expected response, that they shouldn’t all be held accountable for one guy and that the medical profession has a staggering amount of sexual deviants which doesn’t get a mention for example. Also if the MP’s don’t back them it could get very messy for the MP’s. A lot of dirt, unsurprisingly.

Oh great. So, basically they don't think they should do anything and if you force them they'll push back.
    They obviously still don't get it.
    And if we went into your workplace as one person who worked in your profession was a deviant what would your response to being lumped in with him. I am sure you would be more than happy to be associated.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,766
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

seanoconn said:

I was talking to a couple of police officers this morning at the kids football and asked their option on matters. The expected response, that they shouldn’t all be held accountable for one guy and that the medical profession has a staggering amount of sexual deviants which doesn’t get a mention for example. Also if the MP’s don’t back them it could get very messy for the MP’s. A lot of dirt, unsurprisingly.

Oh great. So, basically they don't think they should do anything and if you force them they'll push back.
    And if we went into your workplace as one person who worked in your profession was a deviant what would your response to being lumped in with him. I am sure you would be more than happy to be associated.
    It's no different from all the fallout from Grenfell, with a whole raft of new requirements to practice because of the actions of a handful. I'm not happy to be associated with them, but I'm not going to pretend that the profession shouldn't change because of what they did. Similarly, the police should suck it up and do what's needed to regain that trust. Not assume it's someone else's job.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

seanoconn said:

It's no different from all the fallout from Grenfell, with a whole raft of new requirements to practice because of the actions of a handful. I'm not happy to be associated with them, but I'm not going to pretend that the profession shouldn't change because of what they did. Similarly, the police should suck it up and do what's needed to regain that trust. Not assume it's someone else's job.
    Since Grenfell, there's been many dozens of blocks that have been found to be not to spec and some are downright dangerous. Alarms/detectors missing, fire doors with massive gaps round them, cladding and insulation that is flammable is the tip of the ice-berg. Its not the fault of a handful, it's shoddy work across the industry and a system of inspection and self-certification that is not fit purpose and is open to abuse.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

seanoconn said:

Since Grenfell, there's been many dozens of blocks that have been found to be not to spec and some are downright dangerous. Alarms/detectors missing, fire doors with massive gaps round them, cladding and insulation that is flammable is the tip of the ice-berg. Its not the fault of a handful, it's shoddy work across the industry and a system of inspection and self-certification that is not fit purpose and is open to abuse.
    Funny how the costs aren't falling to those companies though, isn't it. Doesn't sit well that it's the residents who have to pay for the work to be made safe.

Sorry, infuriating, not funny.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    And I hate it that the behaviour of members of my sex has made a significant number of women to be scared when they realise that a man is walking behind them. Its shameful. I find myself crossing roads and looking at the pavement when I'm walking pretty much all the time these days. The least I can do.
  • rjsterry
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

seanoconn said:

The specific refurbishment of Grenfell was one small practice. They were not solely responsible of course, but that is the event that triggered the changes. There are similar instances in other professions where one incident is the catalyst for a review of how that whole profession operates.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    One of Couzens's colleagues - same unit - has been charged with rape.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,757
    rjsterry said:

One of Couzens's colleagues - same unit - has been charged with rape.

Needs to be said they're still allegations at this stage though. Plus he's been arrested and suspended so not much else the Met can do, it's not like he has been protected in some way.