Tirreno - Adriatico 2021 ***Spoilers***

123457»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    No team confident enough in their sprinter to make a concerted effort to bring the break back. Nice to see a well organised break picking up the win.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    ddraver said:

The race is very much not on here though.

Lots of small teams trying very hard to win 7th place...

Not many teams committed to chasing the break, it looked like they would get caught further out but once they got inside 20-30k it didn't come down really.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The first win in the World Tour with a female DS

Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,534
    Back to back viking wins, after Magnus Cort in P-N yesterday . Nice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    ddraver said:
    Still no hidden cables.

*almost like it probably doesn't matter ;) *
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Hardly. He was up something like 4 min. He only finished 10 seconds ahead of Pogacar. With hidden cables he could have clearly finished 6-7 minutes ahead. Then again, Pogacar rode rim brakes for that stage, so with a better choice of equipemt he could have been fast enough to win stage 6 that day! 😉😛
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.

• bobmcstuff
    Hehe I assume someone has pointed that out to Blythe.

Ganna is a machine.
  • RichN95.

Hehe I assume someone has pointed that out to Blythe.

Ganna is a machine.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited March 2021
    Ganna 5 seconds down at the first split.....

Still not betting against him
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Those power numbers...
  • JimD666
    Didn't see that coming... Ganna 2nd by 4ish seconds
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Kung kicks Ganna’s bottom
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    :o
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    If Sam Bennett's career doesn't include a stage win in San Bendetto, what's the point?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    WVA knocks king Kung off his throne
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    WvA by 6 seconds.

Is he human?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited March 2021
    Pog in 4th. :o
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Kung looked peeved
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    Pogacar only beaten by Ganna by 1 second.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Pogacar is a bit special in a ERA of specials
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    Not sure how van Aert keeps doing so well without a Bianchi.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited March 2021
    The Maglia Bianca young rider standings
    1. 241 Tadej Pogačar (UAD) Slo
    2. 131 Egan Bernal (IGD) Col at 4’13’
    3. 82 João Almeida (DQT) Por at 4’54”
    4. 163 Tobias Foss (TJV) Nor at 12’39”
    5. 136 Pavel Sivakov (IGD) Rus at 14’58

The Maglia Verde mountains points
    1. 241 Tadej Pogačar (UAD) Slo – 24
    2. 157 Mads Würtz Schmidt (ISN) Den – 20
    3. 21 Mathieu Van Der Poel (AFC) Ned – 18
    4. 141 Jan Bakelants (IWG) Bel – 16
    5. 1 Simon Yates (BEX) GBr – 15

The final Maglia Ciclamino points
    1. 161 Wout van Aert (TJV) Bel – 55 pts
    2. 241 Tadej Pogačar (UAD) Slo – 42
    3. 21 Mathieu Van Der Poel (AFC) Ned – 39
    4. 157 Mads Würtz Schmidt (ISN) Den – 20
    5. 91 Sergio Higuita (EFN) Col – 15

Pogačar won GC, the mountains, and the younger rider jersey
    And he was 2nd in the points competition, with stages placings of 29th, 4th, 8th, 1st, 2nd 25th and 4th. Utter dominance.

The final GC

1. 241 Tadej Pogačar (UAD) Slo
    2. 161 Wout van Aert (TJV) Bel at 1’03”
    3. 51 Mikel Landa (TBV) Esp at 3’57”
    4. 131 Egan Bernal (IGD) Col at 4’13”
    5. 65 Matteo Fabbro (BOH) Ita at 4’37”
    6. 82 João Almeida (DQT) Por at 4’54”
    7. 171 Tim Wellens (LTS) Bel at 5’00”
    8. 201 Romain Bardet (DSM) Fra at 5’50”
    9. 231 Vincenzo Nibali (TFS) Ita at 6’30”
    10. 1 Simon Yates (BEX) GBr at 7’45”
    The only change in GC order was (as predicted!) Almeida and Wellens swapping places in 6th and 7th.

Without forgetting two extraordinary stage wins by Mathieu Van Der Poel

https://www.tirrenoadriatico.it/en/live/
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Not sure how van Aert keeps doing so well without a Bianchi.

:D
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • kingstongraham
    Utter dominance is a bit much. He won, and won well.

If you're looking at stage positions, how consistent is 1, 3, 2, 9, 3, 13, 1 ?

Just a shame there wasn't a sprint yesterday to make it look tidier.
  • bobmcstuff
    phreak said:

I think it is unrealistic to expect riders to be competitive in different types of events all year round.

The younger guys mentioned above might find their niche a bit with a bit of time. Different events have different demands which require slightly different training, plus maintaining top form all year round isn't really possible anyway.

Although obviously it is nice to see the GC and one day riders mixing it up in Strade etc.

I thought the notion of peaks and troughs in form was largely a relic of the doping days when it would be so much harder to remain at your "peak" all year round? Obviously it's not just his doing, but one of the things Kerrison was supposed to have brought with him from swimming was the notion that you could sustain your peak throughout the year.
    Was listening to George Bennett on the cycling podcast yesterday and he talked about this subject which reminded me of this thread.

I'm paraphrasing, very closely:

"I'm just not riding well at the moment - trying to preserve the form for the Giro. It makes it hard to be really flying now ... If you're in the Tour you can already be really good now, take a break and be good again, but in the Giro if you're really good now it's a long way to be really good until the end of May"

Plus a load of stuff about being out of form at the training camps and getting his head kicked in.

(https://open.spotify.com/episode/5q1QTcPYla1LxXeyvotDxu?si=yMWvQ9BLSI-YLD5GBgTgKw - from around 5 mins in)

This kind of thing is normal if you listen to any of the Life in the Peloton episodes too (or anything else about coaching or riders talking about their seasons, coming off altitude blocks etc etc etc)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

phreak said:

I think it is unrealistic to expect riders to be competitive in different types of events all year round.

The younger guys mentioned above might find their niche a bit with a bit of time. Different events have different demands which require slightly different training, plus maintaining top form all year round isn't really possible anyway.

Although obviously it is nice to see the GC and one day riders mixing it up in Strade etc.

I thought the notion of peaks and troughs in form was largely a relic of the doping days when it would be so much harder to remain at your "peak" all year round? Obviously it's not just his doing, but one of the things Kerrison was supposed to have brought with him from swimming was the notion that you could sustain your peak throughout the year.
    Was listening to George Bennett on the cycling podcast yesterday and he talked about this subject which reminded me of this thread.

I'm paraphrasing, very closely:

"I'm just not riding well at the moment - trying to preserve the form for the Giro. It makes it hard to be really flying now ... If you're in the Tour you can already be really good now, take a break and be good again, but in the Giro if you're really good now it's a long way to be really good until the end of May"

Plus a load of stuff about being out of form at the training camps and getting his head kicked in.

(https://open.spotify.com/episode/5q1QTcPYla1LxXeyvotDxu?si=yMWvQ9BLSI-YLD5GBgTgKw - from around 5 mins in)

This kind of thing is normal if you listen to any of the Life in the Peloton episodes too (or anything else about coaching or riders talking about their seasons, coming off altitude blocks etc etc etc)
    Indeed. If you're not riding the Giro then you could almost take the whole period off between Liege on the 25th April and the Dauphine on the 30th May if you wanted as there are practically no races then, with the Tour not until the end of June. Plenty of time to do the classics if you wanted to.