The Royals

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Ha ha they could probably have said that and Oprah would have just nodded sagely whilst accepting it as fact.

They don't seem to have been challenged on any of their claims from what I can tell and as Ballsy pointed out the grievance about their child not getting a title would have applied whoever married Harry and whatever colour their child was, you would think they'd have known that as it has been the case for over a hundred years.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Pross said:

Just as a counter view, how many on here would swap their lives for the cushy, life of privilege and luxury the Royals apparently have? To be in a position where, from the day you are born people are watching you; where you are told where to go and what to do, who you can marry, where anyone coming into your life is subject to security vetting and public scrutiny. You get criticised for having an opinion and will probably get accused as being a hypocrite or having someone say "what do you know about real life?". You couldn't pay me enough to do it.

Just think of them as high level civil servants / diplomats / ambassadors and the palaces as posh offices with living quarters. Sure, they are guaranteed the job by birth but arguably so are many top civil servants or diplomats with nepotism being so ride.

I’d take Harry’s gig without the dead mother bit
    What, keeping your 'nads in your wife's handbag? 😲
    I think I might change a few things :) he's definitely turned into a snowflake wuss over the last few years.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    All on all, yesterday was a good international women's day, by the looks of this thread.
  • Looks like she's wearing a tabard ready to get stuck in. Those dishes won't clean themselves.

Wow.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Pross said:

I find it odd that the claims made in the interview are being reported as though they are fact when it's just unsubstantiated one sided allegations. Given how the royals very rarely comment on these sorts of things there's unlikely to be a second side any time soon.

Also, were the racist comments made by a senior member of the royal family or royal household? I believe household includes staff (could me wrong but going on what the wife said an she knows much more about that than I do). Obviously if racist comments were made it's unacceptable whoever said them but it just feels like the sort of thing where clever wording can mislead an audience.

yep If it was said and it caused such emotional damage why not say who? why protect someone ? its just noise, they've played the race card they've played the woman card and they've played the mental health card.

They've played the victim all along when in reality they're nothing of the sort. If she's really so fragile that someone may have crushed her by wondering how dark the baby skin would be then she's a complete melt. Its natural to wonder about these things or the sex of the baby or the what it will be like as it grows up.

Even if it were salacious gossip a reasonable person would just say FRO.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694

Looks like she's wearing a tabard ready to get stuck in. Those dishes won't clean themselves.

Wow.
    You do realise that the fox's paw is an inveterate wind up merchant? Do. Not. Take. Literally.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    david37 said:

Pross said:

I find it odd that the claims made in the interview are being reported as though they are fact when it's just unsubstantiated one sided allegations. Given how the royals very rarely comment on these sorts of things there's unlikely to be a second side any time soon.

Also, were the racist comments made by a senior member of the royal family or royal household? I believe household includes staff (could me wrong but going on what the wife said an she knows much more about that than I do). Obviously if racist comments were made it's unacceptable whoever said them but it just feels like the sort of thing where clever wording can mislead an audience.

yep If it was said and it caused such emotional damage why not say who? why protect someone ? its just noise, they've played the race card they've played the woman card and they've played the mental health card.

They've played the victim all along when in reality they're nothing of the sort. If she's really so fragile that someone may have crushed her by wondering how dark the baby skin would be then she's a complete melt. Its natural to wonder about these things or the sex of the baby or the what it will be like as it grows up.

You seem upset by this whole thing.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Looks like she's wearing a tabard ready to get stuck in. Those dishes won't clean themselves.

Wow.

FFS!!!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316

david37 said:

Pross said:

You seem upset by this whole thing.
    He does. He's tried:

- It's all made up
    - It's not made up but it's not a big deal
    - It is a big deal but she should just get over it

Any bets on what's next? She was asking for it because of how she was dressed perhaps?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ballysmate
    orraloon said:

Wow.
    You do realise that the fox's paw is an inveterate wind up merchant? Do. Not. Take. Literally.

Hurt I am. Hurt I tell ye.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    This is a story of a bloke, who married a girl, who fell out with the in-laws.

It's an age old story on a different playing field.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    One of the more enjoyable aspects of this whole saga is Piers Morgan's daily meltdown on live TV. Can't be long now before ITV finally pull the plug on him..
  • elbowloh
    Bravo. Don't have a clue who Darren Beresford is, but if he upsets Piers Morgan, then well done.

The git is the typical "can dish it out, but can't take it himself" kind of guy.

Some might say he's a bed wetting snowflake.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

One of the more enjoyable aspects of this whole saga is Piers Morgan's daily meltdown on live TV. Can't be long now before ITV finally pull the plug on him..

Do you think ITV get a larger or smaller audience for GMB without Morgan?

He and they know exactly what the game is - when he was editing tabloids, his primary goal was selling more papers every day / week, not in depth or revelatory journalism.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Where's a Covid spike when you need one?
    American Hallmark actress finds reality different to the fantasy.
    Yawn.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Do you think ITV get a larger or smaller audience for GMB without Morgan?

He and they know exactly what the game is - when he was editing tabloids, his primary goal was selling more papers every day / week, not in depth or revelatory journalism.
    A smaller audience without Morgan, undoubtedly. But that doesn't necessarily mean his position is secure. If pressure starts getting put on advertisers, and they start pulling out, then he's expendable.

I saw a great comment on twitter, describing his audience as being like a sponge - and a sponge doesn't care if it soaks up champagne or pi55. If he goes, the 'great British public' will get over it and move on.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    It's not much different to the panto you see on American news channels.
  • tailwindhome

It's not much different to the panto you see on American news channels.

Oh no it isn't

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited March 2021
    It is really hard to find debates on broader cultural topics where the participants are arguing in good faith and from a similar grasp of what is either factual or optimal.

I don't know whether it was always like this and I'm just getting older or whether newsnight discussions between experts were splitting nuances or trying to achieve the same thing via different routes rather than just shouting past each other.

Having said that I do remember a Peter Hitchens discussion on substance abuse and I was quite shocked.
  • tailwindhome
    edited March 2021

It is really hard to find debates on broader cultural topics where the participants are arguing in good faith and from a similar grasp of what is either factual or optimal.

I don't know whether it was always like this and I'm just getting older or whether newsnight discussions between experts were splitting nuances or trying to achieve the same thing via different routes rather than just shouting past each other.

Having said that I do remember a Peter Hitchens discussion on substance abuse and I was quite shocked.

The line between randomers phoning in, and interviewing people who know what they are talking about, has been blurred by the rise of the 'commentator'

• tailwindhome
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    elbowloh said:

Bravo. Don't have a clue who Darren Beresford is, but if he upsets Piers Morgan, then well done.

The git is the typical "can dish it out, but can't take it himself" kind of guy.

Me neither. Alex Beresford is the GMB weather presenter (I have learnt this morning).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

Yeah, no matter what the truth of the situation stating someone is lying about having suicidal thoughts without any inside knowledge should be the final nail for him with ITV especially after the Jeremy Kyle thing.
  • elbowloh
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

Me neither. Alex Beresford is the GMB weather presenter (I have learnt this morning).
    I guess it was quite brave of him to call the anchor out then.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    edited March 2021
    As enjoyable as it was to watch the flounce it still isn't in the same league as the Markles.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    pblakeney said:

As enjoyable as it was to watch the flounce it still isn't in the same league as the Merkles.

What's the German chancellor got to do with it?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

As enjoyable as it was to watch the flounce it still isn't in the same league as the Merkles.

Yep, theirs was a double flounce was it not, once to Canada and then another to California?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

What's the German chancellor got to do with it?
    Typo.
    Chances of the name origin though?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.