The Royals

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

What I can’t quite understand about all this furore is how H & M wanted to step out of the limelight and move their life to the US and then they decide to step right back into the spotlight with this interview. Seems an odd approach if you really do want to get your life back.

It's not about stepping out of the limelight, is it?

It's leaving Britain and its press (who Harry feels killed his mother and have given the love of his life a very rough ride - to the point where she successfully sued them). In the meantime, they need to earn a living, so why not get the US on their side?

It's not like Harry knows any different than being in the public eye.

Regarding earning a living, Harry inherited over £30m when his mother died. What’s that worth after 20+ years of wealth management investment? Gotta be £75m+.

Fully understand the wish to work, and earn a living, but they aren’t exactly scraping to pay the electricity bill.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Jezyboy said:

Well if she wants privacy and freedom from intrusion, I don't think the global epicentre for paparazzi is the sensible choice.

Harry was making a pretty respectible name for himself with all his post-forces charity work - being in the press for all the 'right' reasons, and now Meghan seems to be undoing it, one bit at a time. As someone said earlier - she does appear to be quite selfish and attention seeking.

That said - the press are being pretty bloody harsh as they tear her to pieces. Even Harry avoids the flack - he just gets called James Hewitts son (clearly untrue) or a wet fish and a walkover (seemingly true).

If Meghan didn't know what she was getting into, then that is Harry's fault for not telling her / making it clear, and her own blind stupidity.

Meh. I the UK she's married to a high profile royal. In LA she's an ex supporting actress in a not particularly popular TV show.

Plus the weather is a hell of a lot better.
    She went from bring a bit part player and thought she was gonna be the headliner. Only to find she was gonna be a bit part player...
  • ballysmate

Pross said:

Just as a counter view, how many on here would swap their lives for the cushy, life of privilege and luxury the Royals apparently have? To be in a position where, from the day you are born people are watching you; where you are told where to go and what to do, who you can marry, where anyone coming into your life is subject to security vetting and public scrutiny. You get criticised for having an opinion and will probably get accused as being a hypocrite or having someone say "what do you know about real life?". You couldn't pay me enough to do it.

Just think of them as high level civil servants / diplomats / ambassadors and the palaces as posh offices with living quarters. Sure, they are guaranteed the job by birth but arguably so are many top civil servants or diplomats with nepotism being so ride.

I’d take Harry’s gig without the dead mother bit
    What, keeping your 'nads in your wife's handbag? 😲
    You think he doesn’t want this but is going along with it?
    He had 35ish years to make his feelings known. With Willie getting hitched and producing heirs, he could have slipped into the background or fucked off to follow the military career he seems to have wanted without a murmur of discontent from Joe Soap.
    However he signed up for the Royal full monty instead. That is until his missus realised she wasn't the big part player she had hoped and wanted the celebrity lifestyle.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    edited March 2021
    Awful lot of insight into the thoughts and motives of people you've never met Bally. Read a lot of gossip mags?

Edit: not just Bally tbf
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ballysmate

What I can’t quite understand about all this furore is how H & M wanted to step out of the limelight and move their life to the US and then they decide to step right back into the spotlight with this interview. Seems an odd approach if you really do want to get your life back.

It's not about stepping out of the limelight, is it?

It's leaving Britain and its press (who Harry feels killed his mother and have given the love of his life a very rough ride - to the point where she successfully sued them). In the meantime, they need to earn a living, so why not get the US on their side?

It's not like Harry knows any different than being in the public eye.

Regarding earning a living, Harry inherited over £30m when his mother died. What’s that worth after 20+ years of wealth management investment? Gotta be £75m+.

Fully understand the wish to work, and earn a living, but they aren’t exactly scraping to pay the electricity bill.
    But didn't stop him dripping that his family had cut him off because daddy stopped paying his security tab.
  • ballysmate
    pangolin said:

Awful lot of insight into the thoughts and motives of people you've never met Bally. Read a lot of gossip mags?

Which bit? Being a bit part player or joining the royal family to still be a bit part player? Did she not complain that she wasn't treated the same as more senior royals?

• pangolin

pangolin said:

Which bit? Being a bit part player or joining the royal family to still be a bit part player? Did she not complain that she wasn't treated the same as more senior royals?

Sorry I probably shouldn't have commented. I just don't care.

Surprising how many people come out with strong opinions about them.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    All she had to say is that she didn’t want to bring her children up around a pedo and she would have been golden...

They need to fire their PR team and hire Prince Andrew's
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Pa raver opens the TV guide, hovers over ITV...then puts on MasterChef. Proud of him.

Is anyone going to actually going to watch?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shirley_basso
    My mother.

Who can watch two hours of millionaires complaining that 'not everyone likes us cos were black'.

Get. To. F*ck
  • ddraver
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Sorry I probably shouldn't have commented. I just don't care.

Surprising how many people come out with strong opinions about them.
    I think we're too young Pang. I literally don't give a sh1t, but so many people clearly do (and I've had a quiet day) that I'm worried I'm missing a sh1t. But because I don't give a sh1t I can't be bothered to form a sh1t to work out if I want to give it...
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    ddraver said:

Pa raver opens the TV guide, hovers over ITV...then puts on MasterChef. Proud of him.

Wife is watching it now.

She has a soft spot for the Royals, she worked at buck house as a student (even if she did throw up behind a sofa there after a night on the tiles).

I'm on here, literally holding the baby.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    My missus started to watch but has just turned it over to watch Bates Motel on demand.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    edited March 2021
    ddraver said:

My wife. I currently have music on full blast through headphones while on here.
    Soon switching over to Netflix. PS - She's for the royals, I'm against.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Currently listening to this, which in these covid times, seems quite apt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KferGlN_OCE&ab_channel=JiffsMixes
  • ballysmate
    Bet Charlie regrets having a cuckoo in the nest.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    I could not find a person that gives a toss about either Harry or Meghan in my social circle or work colleagues today.
  • ddraver
    john80 said:

I could not find a person that gives a toss about either Harry or Meghan in my social circle or work colleagues today.

We have different views on...everything...but that we agree on this makes me think it is an entirely auto-generated media circle jerk
    - @ddraver
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876

Bet Charlie regrets having a cuckoo in the nest.

Camilla? Diana? Meghan?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585
    I find it odd that the claims made in the interview are being reported as though they are fact when it's just unsubstantiated one sided allegations. Given how the royals very rarely comment on these sorts of things there's unlikely to be a second side any time soon.

Also, were the racist comments made by a senior member of the royal family or royal household? I believe household includes staff (could me wrong but going on what the wife said an she knows much more about that than I do). Obviously if racist comments were made it's unacceptable whoever said them but it just feels like the sort of thing where clever wording can mislead an audience.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    I will not watch it in a house.
    I will not watch it with a mouse.
    I will not watch it here or there.
    I will not watch it anywhere.
    I will not watch this Royal Sham
    I will not watch, who gives a damn...?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• ballysmate
    Pross said:

I find it odd that the claims made in the interview are being reported as though they are fact when it's just unsubstantiated one sided allegations. Given how the royals very rarely comment on these sorts of things there's unlikely to be a second side any time soon.

Also, were the racist comments made by a senior member of the royal family or royal household? I believe household includes staff (could me wrong but going on what the wife said an she knows much more about that than I do). Obviously if racist comments were made it's unacceptable whoever said them but it just feels like the sort of thing where clever wording can mislead an audience.

As I said upthread, on the previous page I think, at least 2 claims can be shown not to be true and must cast doubt on the rest of the claims, which is a shame if they have merit.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    edited March 2021

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Currently listening to this, which in these covid times, seems quite apt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KferGlN_OCE&ab_channel=JiffsMixes
    Thanks! Like a bit of Walter.
    PS - I don't give a damn about Mrs & Mr Markle. I just wish they'd feck off, quietly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    Went to see him a couple of years ago in Leamington Spa. Cracking night.
  • shirley_basso
    One presumption is that Charles or William 'wondered' what colour the baby might be.
  • ballysmate
    Perhaps they were terrified it would be ginger?
  • ballysmate
    Looks like she's wearing a tabard ready to get stuck in. Those dishes won't clean themselves.
  • pangolin

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono