The Royals

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I can't remember why I didn't get mine in the end as I did all the things. Probably poor admin
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I had actually avoided a lot of it but had a short listen to the radio. I did not realise the scale of this!

Ok, Vincent by Don McLean is a reasonable choice (let's forget that it's about the suicide of a particular person) but The Power of Love..?

...the Actual Feck?

🎶Cos I'm your Queenie?
    And you are my prince? 🎶

The only qualification for that is because it's slightly dirgy? How is it an appropriate memorial song at all??!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I hope somewhere they played “In the navy” by the Village people as a tribute.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Perhaps you need to put together the most inappropriate playlist you can, but which on the surface appears to be relevant.

Or is it too soon?
  • shirley_basso
    It's NEVER too soon
  • ddraver
    edited April 2021
    Head - Prince (a rich source here)
    Macho Man - also from the Village People
    Fortunate Son - CCR
    You Should See Me in a Crown - Billie Eilish
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    ddraver said:

Head - Prince (a rich source here)
    Macho Man - also from the Village People
    Fortunate Son - CCR
    You Should See Me in a Crown - Billie Eilish

That Smell - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Having seen the listings for what BBC1 put out in prime time tonight, can we have more Phil tributes please?
  • kingstongraham
    I do like this -
    Martin Rowson, Guardian cartoonist, on him and Peter Brooks (Times cartoonists) meeting Philip.

"‘The Times? Bloody Murdoch rag! Wouldn’t have it in the house! Dreadful self-righteous rubbish!’

“At which point I interjected to say that the Guardian was the self-righteous one"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/10/murdoch-rag-martin-rowson-recalls-prince-philips-verdict-on-the-times
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    edited April 2021
    rjsterry said:

So, Rick hates the Police because somebody stole his bike and now he hates the monarchy because the DoE stole his music by dying at an inconvenient time.

The NHS better not steal his vaccination or I fear the Cake Stop may not be able to cope.

I don’t hate the guy. Until the bbc went weird about his death I barely knew anything about him. He wasn’t head of state, just married to them, so I figured he was just some one else irrelevant caught in the trappings of the royals who spends his day doing charitable stuff to justify the royal existence.

It’s not a particularly extreme position I’m taking - the coverage and the “mourning” is totally out of proportion to what has happened.
    I hate the idea of royalty and have no interest in them so learned more about him reading The Economist obituary than I had garnered before.

I remember being incandescent when Diana died as they took the World Waterski Championships off the TV. To this day I don’t get why you need the same program on both channels. You learn to impose your own media blackout and it does not bother you so much.
    I thought you might have taken an interest given his pretty remarkable naval career, all in his early twenties.
    One of the few things I knew was that they met when he was at Dartmouth but had no idea he had a remarkable naval career. Now you have planted the seed I will google but previously I have neither read, listened or watched anything about him. My only knowledge is when he has intersected with my other areas of knowledge. I can also tell you where he (they) were staying when her Dad died.

ETA - just googled and could not be bothered to wade through the sh1t although I remain intrigued that his remarkable naval career is not in the headlines that are unmissable
  • surrey_commuter

I can't remember why I didn't get mine in the end as I did all the things. Probably poor admin

Maybe it was something to do with the BJ?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

rjsterry said:

So, Rick hates the Police because somebody stole his bike and now he hates the monarchy because the DoE stole his music by dying at an inconvenient time.

The NHS better not steal his vaccination or I fear the Cake Stop may not be able to cope.

I don’t hate the guy. Until the bbc went weird about his death I barely knew anything about him. He wasn’t head of state, just married to them, so I figured he was just some one else irrelevant caught in the trappings of the royals who spends his day doing charitable stuff to justify the royal existence.

It’s not a particularly extreme position I’m taking - the coverage and the “mourning” is totally out of proportion to what has happened.
    I hate the idea of royalty and have no interest in them so learned more about him reading The Economist obituary than I had garnered before.

I remember being incandescent when Diana died as they took the World Waterski Championships off the TV. To this day I don’t get why you need the same program on both channels. You learn to impose your own media blackout and it does not bother you so much.
    I thought you might have taken an interest given his pretty remarkable naval career, all in his early twenties.
    One of the few things I knew was that they met when he was at Dartmouth but had no idea he had a remarkable naval career. Now you have planted the seed I will google but previously I have neither read, listened or watched anything about him. My only knowledge is when he has intersected with my other areas of knowledge. I can also tell you where he (they) were staying when her Dad died.

ETA - just googled and could not be bothered to wade through the censored although I remain intrigued that his remarkable naval career is not in the headlines that are unmissable
    There's a section on his Wikipedia page.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    If people entering the UK are supposed to self isolate for ten days, and the funeral is on 17th April, how is Harry Markel going to be able to attend it (legally) if he's still in the States at the moment?

The older I get, the better I was.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    edited April 2021
    You can still attend a funeral during the isolation period so he'll be ok to attend.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    capt_slog said:

If people entering the UK are supposed to self isolate for ten days, and the funeral is on 17th April, how is Harry Markel going to be able to attend it (legally) if he's still in the States at the moment?

I don’t think you get a virus in blue blood.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Harry had better be careful then
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

You can still attend a funeral during the isolation period so he'll be ok to attend.

How is that isolation? I thought you were supposed to stay at a hotel or home, not sure on the requirements from USA.

The older I get, the better I was.

• surrey_commuter
    Fvck me I did not realise he was a paedo!!! did they have that section on there when he was alive?
  • ddraver
    Wrong prince?
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    edited April 2021
    capt_slog said:

How is that isolation? I thought you were supposed to stay at a hotel or home, not sure on the requirements from USA.
    You can break your self isolation to attend a funeral of a close relative.

He'll have isolate at all other times and not share transport to the venue.
  • surrey_commuter
    ddraver said:

Wrong prince?

Maybe it does not count if you keep it in the family
  • shirley_basso

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Like father, like son.

But that "@fbi" has to be a spoof right?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

capt_slog said:

You can break your self isolation to attend a funeral of a close relative.

He'll have isolate at all other times and not share transport to the venue.
    Where is he going to find somewhere to stay?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shirley_basso
    orraloon said:

Like father, like son.

It's a fake tweet, yes
  • surrey_commuter

orraloon said:

Like father, like son.

It's a fake tweet, yes
    But very funny
  • surrey_commuter
    orraloon said:

Like father, like son.

Maybe being a nonce is hereditary and is passed to the 2nd born son
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    orraloon said:

This is an honest question, I'm not on a wind up or trollboting.

How much involvement did Phil the Greek have in the DofE award scheme? Did he initiate, promote, have a role (in earlier days obvs), be active? Or is it a bit like the QE2 bridge, there's the name crack on?

Actively involved not only with the organisation but also the young people that are provided with opportunity as a result of it.

a genuinely sustained over decades and first rate contribution to give young people the tools to be responsible and contribute to society.

And he wasn't involved for soshal meedya adoration or to become an influencer he did it selflessly from what i can tell. totally altruistic. one of the great british institutions and a right of passage for thousands of children and young adults.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk