The Royals

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

Fvck me I did not realise he was a paedo!!! did they have that section on there when he was alive?

Puzzled where you are getting that from, I'd never heard any rumours and can't find any online references. I know he was rumoured to have been involved in the Profumo affair and involved in some activities (officially not but possibly covered up) but as far as I'm aware there is no suggestion anyone involved in that was underage.

Have to admit I was surprised to see Andrew being interviewed (and the BBC interviewing him). It felt like an error of judgement on all parts.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

Have to admit I was surprised to see Andrew being interviewed (and the BBC interviewing him). It felt like an error of judgement on all parts.

No way in hell that the beeb is going to throw in a question about Epstein and paedophilia at this time and the royals know it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

No way in hell that the beeb is going to throw in a question about Epstein and paedophilia at this time and the royals know it.
    Not suggesting they would, I just felt it was misjudged having him on TV. Surely they could have got another family member to give comment?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Wee bit of a pattern. Just saying.

Daddy is 18 and starts chatting up a 13yo.
    Big brother is 29 and starts dating a 16yo.
    Randy? Goodness only Ghislaine Maxwell for example knows but...
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    I thought Andrew was still on the naughty step
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    The queen sends you a card when you are 100. Prince Andrew sends you a card when you are 13.
  • orraloon
    Oh for goodness sake. Snowflake having a melt? In my flagged (humour, geddit?) post above, sentences 1 and 2 factually correct. Sentence 3, ongoing US investigations with the named individual remanded in custody. No likee facts or what?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    orraloon said:

Oh for goodness sake. Snowflake having a melt? In my flagged (humour, geddit?) post above, sentences 1 and 2 factually correct. Sentence 3, ongoing US investigations with the named individual remanded in custody. No likee facts or what?

dont be so sensitive :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited April 2021
    Pross said:

Fvck me I did not realise he was a paedo!!! did they have that section on there when he was alive?

Puzzled where you are getting that from, I'd never heard any rumours and can't find any online references. I know he was rumoured to have been involved in the Profumo affair and involved in some activities (officially not but possibly covered up) but as far as I'm aware there is no suggestion anyone involved in that was underage.
    I didn't see anything but the time I looked too. I wondered if it was one of the Pizzagate/Lizard/Jew/Illuminati/Priori of Sion/Alien/Thetan Soul type groups who added it only to have it swiftly removed...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Pross said:

It's just that Phil met Liz when she was 13 - far as I know there's no suggestion they entered a relationship then - it was news to me too.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Pross said:

It's just that Phil met Liz when she was 13 - far as I know there's no suggestion they entered a relationship then - it was news to me too.
    If we look back at social norms in the 1940s we can be pretty sure big Phil did not bang Liz on that first meeting.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Why the f@ck is that nonce top of the 10pm news without getting roasted?
  • orraloon
    State controlled meejah doing what they're instructed. Get the nonce back in view under the protection of dead old bloke deference full on BS, start the normalisation process. Meejah manipulation of public interest 1.01. And Do Not Mention Ghislaine Maxwell.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Appalling.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Pross said:

It was once at a wedding. They didn't meet again for another 5 years.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

It was at Dartmouth and is widely reported that is where she first caught his eye and started corresponding with her.

Now we just need to find a forumite with a 13 year old daughter and see how relaxed they would be about an 18 year old corresponding with her.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited April 2021

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

It was at Dartmouth and is widely reported that is where she first caught his eye and started corresponding with her.

Now we just need to find a forumite with a 13 year old daughter and see how relaxed they would be about an 18 year old corresponding with her.
    That's called grooming today. But we all know that. Some might claim it is innocent.
    Not sure I'd take that stance as a father of a 13 year old.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

That's called grooming today. But we all know that. Some might claim it is innocent.

Is that what the mean by a Royal groom?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

He made a heck of a job of it, seeing they were married for 73 years.

I think a little something called the internet shifted the goal posts as far as how an older teenager corresponding with a younger teen gets viewed nowadays.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles

The Vanuatu tribes mourning the death of the D of E.

Though Prince Philip was known for his frankness and has been criticised in the past for being culturally insensitive, on Tanna "he is seen as very supportive and sensitive,"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56713953
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

I think a little something called the internet shifted the goal posts as far as how an older teenager corresponding with a younger teen gets viewed nowadays.
    Who knows how other grooming scenarios will play out if left to it? The goal posts have only changed regarding immediacy and ease. Principle is the same.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Who knows how other grooming scenarios will play out if left to it? The goal posts have only changed regarding immediacy and ease. Principle is the same.
    You realise that the accounts of Elizabeth's cousin and governess suggest it was her that took a shine to him?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

You realise that the accounts of Elizabeth's cousin and governess suggest it was her that took a shine to him?
    That is very close to victim blaming.

Maybe at that time, in her family, it was the cultural norm to be nonced by a cousin
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

That makes it alright then. 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    We don't know do we. For obvious reasons people wrote letters more frequently then and it could - and I think we should assume that it was - a case of a younger teen simply corresponding with someone similar to a pen friend. Maybe it was exciting to hear first hand tales of the war.

Of course in royal circles at that time I would guess the pool of suitable partners was rather narrow so there may have been an element of an eye to the future - possibly even from adults encouraging her to keep in contact with someone they considered the right sort of man to marry into the royal family.

Either way it seems to have worked out well.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I don't think he was seen as suitable at the time. His family were relative paupers with no country to call home.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    elbowloh said:

I don't think he was seen as suitable at the time. His family were relative paupers with no country to call home.

Yes you are right - didn't realise that.

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

That is very close to victim blaming.

Maybe at that time, in her family, it was the cultural norm to be nonced by a cousin
    I think you are projecting a great deal on the very few facts, but let's leave it there.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• blazing_saddles
    edited April 2021
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Please don't let facts get in the way of any speculation and faux moralising.