Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Fitness decline after Covid vaccination..

Hi all,
This may sound a strange question.
I had my first covid vaccination at the beginning of February, I fall into the Clinically Extremely Vulnerable group, with had the Pfizer/Biontech vaccine.
I didn't have any side effects other than a sore shoulder were the injection had been but ive noticed I appear to be weaker on the turbo since.
In late December to late January my FTP was 264 watts down on last Summer but to be expected over winter.
Since the injection ive struggled to maintain fitness on the turbo although im doing around 5 sessions a week building up towards the Spring and warmer weather. I seem to lack power feeling tired after about 10 minutes even though ive warmed up nicely.
Has anyone else had the vaccine and they are finding it hard to even maintain their fitness levels?
Regards. Tony.

Posts

  • neebneeb Posts: 4,385
    A quick google comes up with this:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(21)00082-5/fulltext

    It does mention various side effects such as muscle soreness lasting up to a week in some cases. It makes intuitive sense that if you were traning intensively from three weeks ago up until now, and immediately since having had the vaccine, that might have a temporary effect on your fitness. Just another stress on the body that needs to be accounted for metabolically, like getting a cold or having a few bad nights' sleep...

    Or just as likely, there could have been some other impact on your fitness you aren't aware of. Or both..

    Maybe rest for a few days to give your body time to assimilate it all?
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 25,689
    But that's the American vaccine, the one with the microchip, innit?

    I take my coat... :D
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,135
    You say you do five sessions a week on the turbo. If your sessions are intervals which is what I tend to do on the turbo, you might be over training. This rather than the jab might be causing the fatigue.
    I didn’t even get a sore shoulder from my injection.
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,152
    The vaccination pretty much cleaned my clock and I was washed out that evening and the next day.

    I have noticed some turbo fatigue, but I honestly think it's coincidental. I've trained so hard since last March and I think now I'm just needing the rest.

    I'm exhausted - physically and mentally - in general and I am 99.9% certain that many others feel the same. Have some time off.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 1,979
    tbh, just sounds like the op has massively overtrained, his body needs a physical break, he needs to stop thinking about it and not blame the jab.

    alts, if his whole life has taken a fatigue related downturn, speak to his doctor.
  • neebneeb Posts: 4,385
    Seems to be some conflicting advice about whether it's better to exercise immediately after having the jab or not. On the one hand, there's evidence that exercise may actually increase the efficacy of vaccines immediately after having them, and short-term side effects are basically a sign that your immune system is responding. On the other, it's maybe best not to stress your system too much...

    I'm early 50s so should be lined up for the jab in a few weeks time. My current plan is to get some fairly intense sessions done in the days immediately before, take a couple of days rest after having it, and then do a few days of endurance level stuff, leaving off the high intensity stuff for a week maybe.

    In any case - there's an infintesimally small chance of any long-term side effects from the vaccine, but maybe a 10% chance of significant medium / long-term health problems if you catch the virus..
  • womackwomack Posts: 42
    Ben6899 said:

    The vaccination pretty much cleaned my clock and I was washed out that evening and the next day.

    Pretty much the same, went home after vaccine was fine, the next day absolutely wiped out, didn't do a thing.

    Only lasted the one day for me, but very unusual for me and don't know if it is a side effect but horrendous constipation! I'm usually a regular as clockwork every morning sort of person.


  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,152
    Nothing that I noticed particularly, beyond the fatigue.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,427 Lives Here
    I had the Pfizer one on Friday morning, felt fine for the rest of the day. Arm got a bit more that night and the following day. Other than that no ill effects, but I can now unlock car doors with my mind.
    The last bit is a lie but I have felt fine. I'm not training particularly hard or anything, I have been quite active since but nothing too strenuous.
  • photonic69photonic69 Posts: 1,077
    Had the AZ one back at the beginning of Feb. Fine that day. Evening had severe chills. Next day massive headache and extremely tired. Following day headache and a bit tired. Day three was fine. My loss of form has been due to me not riding so much, though I'll most likely blame it on the vaccine.
  • david37david37 Posts: 971
    edited 23 February
    i had covid last year, it wrote me off for the rest of the year, im hoping there are no effects from the jab.

    OTH the op says he's down 264watts on his FTP??????????? thats massive, Id say its alll over, take up bonsai whilst you can still lift the clippers.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,155
    david37 said:

    i had covid last year, it wrote me off for the rest of the year, im hoping there are no effects from the jab.

    OTH the op says he's down 264watts on his FTP??????????? thats massive, Id say its alll over, take up bonsai whilst you can still lift the clippers.


    I think he left out a comma. Certainly hope so. 😱

    "In late December to late January my FTP was 264 watts, down on last Summer but to be expected over winter."
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe_totale-2joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,188
    I had the Pfizer one about a month ago, rode home, felt fine.
    The following day I felt a little more tired than usual but still rode to and from work and did a full day, after that I felt fine.

    A drop of 264 watts on your FTP suggests that you totally binged during Christmas and have decided to carry on the debauchery until now.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,163
    I doubt I could muster 264 watts.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 2,844
    pblakeney said:

    david37 said:

    i had covid last year, it wrote me off for the rest of the year, im hoping there are no effects from the jab.

    OTH the op says he's down 264watts on his FTP??????????? thats massive, Id say its alll over, take up bonsai whilst you can still lift the clippers.


    I think he left out a comma. Certainly hope so. 😱

    "In late December to late January my FTP was 264 watts, down on last Summer but to be expected over winter."
    Eats, shoots and leaves...
  • tonysjtonysj Posts: 352
    Thanks for the input folks, my FTP was 264watts in January this year and hadn't reduced by 264 watts since last Summer lol. The summer is outdoors and Im never 100% happy with my PMs accuracy while the winter is measured on a turbo trainer.
    I've checked the number of sessions, all on the turbo, in the last 5 weeks and pre vaccine I was doing 4-5 sessions a week and slightly more post vaccine 5 with one occasion of 6 sessions a week.
    I don't feel over trained more a little lethargic but I suppose could be down to Covid isolation lockdown and it being sh*te weather of late.
    I was probably thinking/wishing my FTP would build with the sessions but I don't think that's been the case but I will try and ease off a little on the harder sessions ( Turbo sessions on RGT ) and see if a couple of Endurance sessions help the fatigue diminish.
    Thanks.
    T.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,155
    pinno said:

    I doubt I could muster 264 watts.

    Woose. 🤣 Us heavyweights need that power. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,135
    tonysj said:

    Thanks for the input folks, my FTP was 264watts in January this year and hadn't reduced by 264 watts since last Summer lol. The summer is outdoors and Im never 100% happy with my PMs accuracy while the winter is measured on a turbo trainer.
    I've checked the number of sessions, all on the turbo, in the last 5 weeks and pre vaccine I was doing 4-5 sessions a week and slightly more post vaccine 5 with one occasion of 6 sessions a week.
    I don't feel over trained more a little lethargic but I suppose could be down to Covid isolation lockdown and it being sh*te weather of late.
    I was probably thinking/wishing my FTP would build with the sessions but I don't think that's been the case but I will try and ease off a little on the harder sessions ( Turbo sessions on RGT ) and see if a couple of Endurance sessions help the fatigue diminish.
    Thanks.
    T.

    There is not a lot of rest in your schedule. Swopping power for endurance is not going to help you recover. You get stronger/fitter after you have rested.
  • I hope there's more to this than simply the vaccine leaving you fatigued, otherwise that's potentially another rollerecoaster ride for me to jump on in ~5+ weeks time, trying to regain fitness after multiple setbacks in the last 11 months has well and truly tested my resolve.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • tonysjtonysj Posts: 352
    Thanks again guys. Ive decided to take a few days off the bike/turbo and see how i feel. Hopefully it will help and ill come back more motivated and fresher.
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 9,134

    Had the AZ one back at the beginning of Feb. Fine that day. Evening had severe chills. Next day massive headache and extremely tired. Following day headache and a bit tired. Day three was fine. My loss of form has been due to me not riding so much, though I'll most likely blame it on the vaccine.

    Sounds just like what my dad had from the AZ vaccine. The AZ one is more of a traditional vaccine (compared to Pfizer) so these kinds of side effects are hardly surprising - you can get the same kinds of thing from the flu jab, although my dad says he never has done before. I got pretty sick for a few days after getting the yellow fever jab in 2019.

    In any case it's a sign your immune system is working, so it shouldn't be a serious concern.
Sign In or Register to comment.