Fitness decline after Covid vaccination..

Hi all,
This may sound a strange question.
I had my first covid vaccination at the beginning of February, I fall into the Clinically Extremely Vulnerable group, with had the Pfizer/Biontech vaccine.
I didn't have any side effects other than a sore shoulder were the injection had been but ive noticed I appear to be weaker on the turbo since.
In late December to late January my FTP was 264 watts down on last Summer but to be expected over winter.
Since the injection ive struggled to maintain fitness on the turbo although im doing around 5 sessions a week building up towards the Spring and warmer weather. I seem to lack power feeling tired after about 10 minutes even though ive warmed up nicely.
Has anyone else had the vaccine and they are finding it hard to even maintain their fitness levels?
Regards. Tony.

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    A quick google comes up with this:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(21)00082-5/fulltext

It does mention various side effects such as muscle soreness lasting up to a week in some cases. It makes intuitive sense that if you were traning intensively from three weeks ago up until now, and immediately since having had the vaccine, that might have a temporary effect on your fitness. Just another stress on the body that needs to be accounted for metabolically, like getting a cold or having a few bad nights' sleep...

Or just as likely, there could have been some other impact on your fitness you aren't aware of. Or both..

Maybe rest for a few days to give your body time to assimilate it all?
  • But that's the American vaccine, the one with the microchip, innit?

I take my coat... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You say you do five sessions a week on the turbo. If your sessions are intervals which is what I tend to do on the turbo, you might be over training. This rather than the jab might be causing the fatigue.
    I didn’t even get a sore shoulder from my injection.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The vaccination pretty much cleaned my clock and I was washed out that evening and the next day.

I have noticed some turbo fatigue, but I honestly think it's coincidental. I've trained so hard since last March and I think now I'm just needing the rest.

I'm exhausted - physically and mentally - in general and I am 99.9% certain that many others feel the same. Have some time off.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    tbh, just sounds like the op has massively overtrained, his body needs a physical break, he needs to stop thinking about it and not blame the jab.

alts, if his whole life has taken a fatigue related downturn, speak to his doctor.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Seems to be some conflicting advice about whether it's better to exercise immediately after having the jab or not. On the one hand, there's evidence that exercise may actually increase the efficacy of vaccines immediately after having them, and short-term side effects are basically a sign that your immune system is responding. On the other, it's maybe best not to stress your system too much...

I'm early 50s so should be lined up for the jab in a few weeks time. My current plan is to get some fairly intense sessions done in the days immediately before, take a couple of days rest after having it, and then do a few days of endurance level stuff, leaving off the high intensity stuff for a week maybe.

In any case - there's an infintesimally small chance of any long-term side effects from the vaccine, but maybe a 10% chance of significant medium / long-term health problems if you catch the virus..
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Ben6899 said:

The vaccination pretty much cleaned my clock and I was washed out that evening and the next day.

Pretty much the same, went home after vaccine was fine, the next day absolutely wiped out, didn't do a thing.

Only lasted the one day for me, but very unusual for me and don't know if it is a side effect but horrendous constipation! I'm usually a regular as clockwork every morning sort of person.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Nothing that I noticed particularly, beyond the fatigue.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I had the Pfizer one on Friday morning, felt fine for the rest of the day. Arm got a bit more that night and the following day. Other than that no ill effects, but I can now unlock car doors with my mind.
    The last bit is a lie but I have felt fine. I'm not training particularly hard or anything, I have been quite active since but nothing too strenuous.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Had the AZ one back at the beginning of Feb. Fine that day. Evening had severe chills. Next day massive headache and extremely tired. Following day headache and a bit tired. Day three was fine. My loss of form has been due to me not riding so much, though I'll most likely blame it on the vaccine.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2021
    i had covid last year, it wrote me off for the rest of the year, im hoping there are no effects from the jab.

OTH the op says he's down 264watts on his FTP??????????? thats massive, Id say its alll over, take up bonsai whilst you can still lift the clippers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    david37 said:

i had covid last year, it wrote me off for the rest of the year, im hoping there are no effects from the jab.

OTH the op says he's down 264watts on his FTP??????????? thats massive, Id say its alll over, take up bonsai whilst you can still lift the clippers.

I think he left out a comma. Certainly hope so. 😱

"In late December to late January my FTP was 264 watts, down on last Summer but to be expected over winter."
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I had the Pfizer one about a month ago, rode home, felt fine.
    The following day I felt a little more tired than usual but still rode to and from work and did a full day, after that I felt fine.

A drop of 264 watts on your FTP suggests that you totally binged during Christmas and have decided to carry on the debauchery until now.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    I doubt I could muster 264 watts.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    pblakeney said:

david37 said:

I think he left out a comma. Certainly hope so. 😱

"In late December to late January my FTP was 264 watts, down on last Summer but to be expected over winter."
    Eats, shoots and leaves...
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Thanks for the input folks, my FTP was 264watts in January this year and hadn't reduced by 264 watts since last Summer lol. The summer is outdoors and Im never 100% happy with my PMs accuracy while the winter is measured on a turbo trainer.
    I've checked the number of sessions, all on the turbo, in the last 5 weeks and pre vaccine I was doing 4-5 sessions a week and slightly more post vaccine 5 with one occasion of 6 sessions a week.
    I don't feel over trained more a little lethargic but I suppose could be down to Covid isolation lockdown and it being sh*te weather of late.
    I was probably thinking/wishing my FTP would build with the sessions but I don't think that's been the case but I will try and ease off a little on the harder sessions ( Turbo sessions on RGT ) and see if a couple of Endurance sessions help the fatigue diminish.
    Thanks.
    T.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

I doubt I could muster 264 watts.

Woose. 🤣 Us heavyweights need that power. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    tonysj said:

Thanks for the input folks, my FTP was 264watts in January this year and hadn't reduced by 264 watts since last Summer lol. The summer is outdoors and Im never 100% happy with my PMs accuracy while the winter is measured on a turbo trainer.
    I've checked the number of sessions, all on the turbo, in the last 5 weeks and pre vaccine I was doing 4-5 sessions a week and slightly more post vaccine 5 with one occasion of 6 sessions a week.
    I don't feel over trained more a little lethargic but I suppose could be down to Covid isolation lockdown and it being sh*te weather of late.
    I was probably thinking/wishing my FTP would build with the sessions but I don't think that's been the case but I will try and ease off a little on the harder sessions ( Turbo sessions on RGT ) and see if a couple of Endurance sessions help the fatigue diminish.
    Thanks.
    T.

There is not a lot of rest in your schedule. Swopping power for endurance is not going to help you recover. You get stronger/fitter after you have rested.
  • I hope there's more to this than simply the vaccine leaving you fatigued, otherwise that's potentially another rollerecoaster ride for me to jump on in ~5+ weeks time, trying to regain fitness after multiple setbacks in the last 11 months has well and truly tested my resolve.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Thanks again guys. Ive decided to take a few days off the bike/turbo and see how i feel. Hopefully it will help and ill come back more motivated and fresher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Had the AZ one back at the beginning of Feb. Fine that day. Evening had severe chills. Next day massive headache and extremely tired. Following day headache and a bit tired. Day three was fine. My loss of form has been due to me not riding so much, though I'll most likely blame it on the vaccine.

Sounds just like what my dad had from the AZ vaccine. The AZ one is more of a traditional vaccine (compared to Pfizer) so these kinds of side effects are hardly surprising - you can get the same kinds of thing from the flu jab, although my dad says he never has done before. I got pretty sick for a few days after getting the yellow fever jab in 2019.

In any case it's a sign your immune system is working, so it shouldn't be a serious concern.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Had the AZ vaccine . Not even a sore arm? Got worried it hadn't worked. Left a pimple on my arm.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172

Had the AZ vaccine . Not even a sore arm? Got worried it hadn't worked. Left a pimple on my arm.

Haven't had side effects either... anyone I know who rides a bike regularly, hasn't had any side effect from AZ, FWIW.
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    I had the AZ and absolutely no side effects as reported.
    I do now struggle to maintain sustained high watts. Peak power for a short burst is fine. Also thirsty and dry skin. I am assuming coincidence until I read of similar.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I had the AZ and had a very sore shoulder for a day and thought no more of it. Then, about 24hrs after the jab, I got a high temperature, shakes and fever that lasted a couple of days. Felt wiped for a few days after the fever went away.

I had Covid back in January and it lasted about 3 weeks all told. The jab was just like that but a lot shorter and came on really quickly. It could perhaps be that I already had an immune system that recognised the virus and so it reacted more quickly?

But then again, my wife had Covid (I prob caught it from her) and was ill for just short of a week. Everyone's different, I guess.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

Haven't had side effects either... anyone I know who rides a bike regularly, hasn't had any side effect from AZ, FWIW.
    Was vaccinated at about 9.30am. I was fine for the first few hours then got hit with 12 hours of the shakes (not particularly feverish though). The day after the night of discomfort had me feeling tired but that was down to not sleeping. Was fine by the following day. I seem to always end up with a cough that lasts for a couple of weeks whenever I catch a cold - maybe I’m more susceptible to these things. Makes me glad I didn’t catch the actual virus though.

They say that AZ side effects are reduced after the second jab. Fingers crossed.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    johngti said:

Was vaccinated at about 9.30am. I was fine for the first few hours then got hit with 12 hours of the shakes (not particularly feverish though). The day after the night of discomfort had me feeling tired but that was down to not sleeping. Was fine by the following day. I seem to always end up with a cough that lasts for a couple of weeks whenever I catch a cold - maybe I’m more susceptible to these things. Makes me glad I didn’t catch the actual virus though.

They say that AZ side effects are reduced after the second jab. Fingers crossed.
    Pretty much the side effects i had, plus a very sore arm.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    edited April 2021

That's the RFID chip, you should get that cut out.

My wife and I had AZ on the same day. Wifey had really bad flu symptoms for 3 days and is still a bit under the weather 2 weeks later. I was ok but was tired a few days later and this lasted about a week but nothing too dramatic. Was able to cycle but as I don't do numbers I couldn't say what the impact was.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    I had my 2nd Pfizer dose last week, no issues or after effects noted.

Did a 5 hr ride the following day :-)
  • Had my first OxAZ shot yesterday afternoon and a couple of hours later, ~30mins of z1 on the turbo felt harder than it should have, but then I've gone on to develop typical flu aches/pains/fatigue since and feel quite pants today.

Really hope this is just a short term thing and not like my mum who felt rubbish for several weeks after her first OxAZ jab, I've got two weeks off work starting in the middle of next week and I was hoping for lots of nice outdoor cycling weather.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo