Fitness decline after Covid vaccination..

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272

Had my first OxAZ shot yesterday afternoon and a couple of hours later, ~30mins of z1 on the turbo felt harder than it should have, but then I've gone on to develop typical flu aches/pains/fatigue since and feel quite pants today.

Really hope this is just a short term thing and not like my mum who felt rubbish for several weeks after her first OxAZ jab, I've got two weeks off work starting in the middle of next week and I was hoping for lots of nice outdoor cycling weather.

It's because you are weak...
    Folks like me, made of harder stuff, didn't feel a thing... ;)
    left the forum March 2023
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

Had my first OxAZ shot yesterday afternoon and a couple of hours later, ~30mins of z1 on the turbo felt harder than it should have, but then I've gone on to develop typical flu aches/pains/fatigue since and feel quite pants today.

Really hope this is just a short term thing and not like my mum who felt rubbish for several weeks after her first OxAZ jab, I've got two weeks off work starting in the middle of next week and I was hoping for lots of nice outdoor cycling weather.

Both times I had the Pfizer I felt the same as you did after the jab but only for 24 hours, after that I was fine.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited April 2021
    Had the first shot (O/AZ) coming up to three weeks ago now. Sore arm for days after, but now gone. Did a 2-hr ride a couple of days after and felt like superman. Unfortunately, I'm now back to normal...
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Getting mine on Thursday morning (I'm guessing it'll be the AZ as it's at a smaller venue). What I'm wondering is whether it's a good idea to be fatigued on the morning I get, it or if that will potentially make it less effective by compromising the immune system.

Good weather this week and my midweek pattern at this time of year is often to go out and hammer it for 2 hours quite late in the evening (6pm - 8pm, after the rush hour), usually on alternate days. I was out last night so would probably do the same again on Wednesday night. I'm often pretty fatigued the morning after though.

But I'm planning to take it easy for two or three days after the jab, so maybe I should make the best of it immediately before...
  • ugo.santalucia
    neeb said:

Getting mine on Thursday morning (I'm guessing it'll be the AZ as it's at a smaller venue). What I'm wondering is whether it's a good idea to be fatigued on the morning I get, it or if that will potentially make it less effective by compromising the immune system.

It will make no difference, you are overthinking it... it's not that you are trying to do LEJOG in under 2 days ahead of your vaccine
  • neeb
    Yeah, I overthink most things.. ;)

Anyway, will report back in due course with detailed analysis of any affects on my FTP.. :D
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 296
    I was fat and unfit before I had the jab.Now three weeks post jab, I am still fat and unfit.

#notacureforall 😀
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,424
    I had my 1st jab 10 weeks ago but I'm still thinking my performance really isn't where it should be at this time of year. Routes I had no trouble with in the past and were easy, I'm finding I'm having to make more of an effort/perceived effort. My HR is low/lower and on an easy slow pace barely gets into Z1. My resting HR has dropped by 10 beats too. Technically (according to blood tests) I'm in better shape than I was last year and on less medication but my performance says otherwise, and so does Strava. Lets see what the 2nd jab does for me in a few weeks.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Nothing to do with cycle fitness, but the wife's HR has been fluctuating from 50 up to 200 since having the AZ jab and we are now wondering if it's related?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ugo.santalucia
    I am in the same camp as Imposter.
    Yesterday I did my best power figure over 17 minutes in a TT, 273 Watt and this morning I smashed my best 2 minutes power figure up a Cotswolds climb, 420 Watt...

All courtesy of Astra Zeneca.... :wink:
  • neeb
    If anyone wants a bigger sample size on this subject:
    https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/covid-vaccine-shots-and-training/49055

I haven't read a fraction of this, but consensus seems to be that all should be OK, but take it easy for a few days afer getting the jab.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

Yesterday I did my best power figure over 17 minutes in a TT, 273 Watt and this morning I smashed my best 2 minutes power figure up a Cotswolds climb, 420 Watt...

You'll probably start mutating into a fly next
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • imposter2.0

Looking forward to the second dose.. ;)
  • ugo.santalucia
    neeb said:

I haven't read a fraction of this, but consensus seems to be that all should be OK, but take it easy for a few days afer getting the jab.

I wouldn't seek medical advice on Trainer road... nobody told me to take it easy at the vaccination centre and there is no NHS advice saying "take it easy". If you don't feel well, then rest, but if you are fine, I don't see why you should change your routine
  • neeb
    edited April 2021

neeb said:

I wouldn't seek medical advice on Trainer road... nobody told me to take it easy at the vaccination centre and there is no NHS advice saying "take it easy". If you don't feel well, then rest, but if you are fine, I don't see why you should change your routine
    The thing is that you won't get any official medical advice on this particular question (the interaction of the vaccine with training in athletes / fit people), because the data doesn't exist yet, and obtaining it isn't a priority. So a large sample of subjective experiences from people who are in the same situation as you is actually quite useful.

And one or two medical professionals have contributed to the thread, e.g:
    . said:

You’re going to get into some very confusing, very complex weeds here pretty quick.

To reduce down several med school classes on immunology, which is one of the most complex systems in your body, mRNA vaccines cause an immune response that includes inflammation. The inflammation is appropriate and an integral step in forming the future antibody response. Depending on the person-to-person variation in immune systems, between which the differences can be staggering, you may or may not “feel” the inflammatory response. For some people, it is big and lasts for a couple of days; for others, it is mild or not noticeable at all. This inflammatory response inhibits the adaptations you would be seeking with structured rides. Pure bro science: I bet it is related to intensity given what we know about illness recovery and exercise.

Again, this is a simplification, the scale of which goes beyond our ability to describe here. I don’t know of any well-structured studies on COVID19 vaccinations and athletes. Most reports are anecdotal.

Regardless, it lasts between 36 and 48 hours. Throwing an intense workout in there with an ongoing immune response such as this one seems counter-productive.

• Had my first OxAZ shot yesterday afternoon and a couple of hours later, ~30mins of z1 on the turbo felt harder than it should have, but then I've gone on to develop typical flu aches/pains/fatigue since and feel quite pants today.

Both times I had the Pfizer I felt the same as you did after the jab but only for 24 hours, after that I was fine.
    Frustratingly not the case for me, today is the worst I've felt since getting the jab mid afternoon on Monday.

There seems to be a correlation between more severe prolonged side effects to the first vaccine jab and having had Covid, moreso when the individual has had "long Covid" symptoms (which both apply to myself).

Ironically, I've felt worse these last three days than I did when I had Covid in March 2020, probably the roughest I've felt since my Xmas 2013 RTA and recovery.

Last March I originally thought I'd dodged a bullet with how mild my symptoms were compared to my partner who still has severe issues ~13 months on... It was only once I promptly resumed z5 hill efforts I realised I'd been more seriously affected (major fatigue for 3/4 days after these efforts instead of being fine two days after and I've had to be a lot more cautious about my training load schedule since).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia

Frustratingly not the case for me, today is the worst I've felt since getting the jab mid afternoon on Monday.

What do you have? Temperature?

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited April 2021

What do you have? Temperature?

Temperature was only an issue on Monday night.

"Brain fog" mental fatigue and physical fatigue.
    Heavy feeling arms and legs when lifting say a glass of water or walking between rooms (almost feels like my legs are slightly swollen when walking).
    Aching arms, legs, shoulder blade muscles.
    Painful around elbows; armpits; knees; ankles.
    A short walk a while ago, first "exercise" since jab, felt hard work and much more tiring than normal.

I'm sure things will improve given rest and I'll feel up to jumping on a bike and returning to my physically active job, I think my body is simply reacting strongly to the vaccine after having Covid ~13 months ago. My partner wasn't in a good way for about a week when she had her first OxAZ jab in mid January, she had her second jab last Friday and the side effects were far less severe and only really lasted the weekend.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Wife is also having "brain fog" post jab as well as the HR fluctuation issues.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited April 2021
    In other words, inflammation... your legs probably are swollen
    Some people are more prone to inflammation than others, I'm lucky I'm not.

Drink a lot of water, try eating with no salt for a few days, avoid alcohol... might help
  • Just to update my situation, I went through nine days of feeling absolutely rubbish after the OxAZ jab, including a headache that lasted four days which I ended up contacting 111 about. I'm still not free of all symptoms, but a damn sight better than I was.

Managed a very gentle pootle on the Marasa for 15mins just before dinner on Weds and 30mins on the turbo last night... 128W average has never felt so tough, bearing in mind I apparently averaged 278W for 30mins a month ago.

But at least I can now ride again, I've got a new 32mm GP5000 to fit on the rear wheel and I've got just under two weeks off work to get some steady miles in.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Would it put you off having the second dose ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Would it put you off having the second dose ?

Definitely not, I had very mild Covid in March 2020 followed by long Covid post-exercise fatigue that has been worse at some points more than others ever since, meaning I now have to spread out my "hard" days more.

On the flip side, my partner had far worse symptoms at the start and she has had much more severe long Covid since, including breathing issues and raised heartrate while doing very gentle exercise such as climbing stairs. She hasn't been able to work since Xmas, her situation is makes my vaccine side effects seem so minor in comparison.

Her first OxAZ jab hit her badly for a week or so back in Jan, but thankfully her second jab three days before my first had much more minor side effects that lasted about two days.

My retired mum thinks the OxAZ made her feel rough for several weeks having had her first shot in March, having had mild Covid in March 2020. My younger sister, who lives with her and also had Covid in March 2020, felt a bit rough for a few days after her first Pfizer shot.

Until my very gentle short ride on Weds, all the exercise I'd done in nine days was three 15-30min walks and walking between rooms in our flat. It shocked me how rough I felt after my jab, but unlike last year after Covid I plan to take a much more cautious approach on recovery and presume my second shot in July will not upset my body anywhere near as badly.

I've been through quite a fitness rollercoaster over the last ~13 months and while I'm now ~8Kg heavier than Feb '20, each time I've had setbacks I've always managed to get back to my ballpark power figures. I don't intend this setback to be any different.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Good to hear you are getting back. I do think there is more to come out over time about Covid and the long term symptoms. There may also be more to come out about why the vaccine affects others badly and hopefully when they understand it they can fix it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kageds
    kageds Posts: 35
    Had second jab Wednesday, went out today to get some milk on my tourer and overtook a Ferrari, my cadence was hitting 200, my legs would not slow down whatever i did, I broke 30 KOM,s on the way too the shop
    On the way home is a 2 mile 10% hill and I hit 47mph at one point !!!
    When I got home I had to change my tires as there was smoke coming from them
    I’m still wondering what was in the jab
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    kageds said:

Had second jab Wednesday, went out today to get some milk on my tourer and overtook a Ferrari, my cadence was hitting 200, my legs would not slow down whatever i did, I broke 30 KOM,s on the way too the shop
    On the way home is a 2 mile 10% hill and I hit 47mph at one point !!!
    When I got home I had to change my tires as there was smoke coming from them

EPO probably lol.
  • imposter2.0
    kageds said:

Hallucinogens, by the sound of it..

• kageds
    kageds Posts: 35
    Yes, .. it was a dream of what I hoped would happen, in reality I was over 2 minutes down on my normal loop at 80/90 ftp.
    I don’t feel achy 48hrs after jab, but I guess your body fighting or building immunity to something at the same time as trying to do an intense workout is not best.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    2x AZ. Absolutely no effects what so ever. Wouldn't know I'd had it.
    Didn't even feel the needle.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • neeb
    First Pfizer 8 weeks ago - no effects other than my GF said I was very warm during the night (I felt fine), and the next day after moving some boxes around I had a slightly weird episode of sudden low blood sugar (like when you bonk on the bike). Totally fine since then. Did my first 10 mile TT in two years the other day and got a PB. I get my second jab on Wednesday.