US Politics / Biden thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459

I went to a 'do' to mark the 25th anniversary of the end of the miners strike with the father in law who was on strike throughout. Me, the missus, fil and mil.
    Speaker was Dave Nellist. I admit I am a true blue Tory but will listen to any reasonable argument. Mil and fil as red as they come. Nellist delivered a speech of such bile, inciting violent insurrection that my in laws were shocked.

Blimey, anyone would think it was a glorious victory if they were celebrating the anniversary of getting their arrises kicked by a grocers daughter :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh said:

orraloon said:

I went to a work conference with OH, her work, where the after dinner speakers were Neil and Christine Hamilton. 😳 The total b ellend and her other half were as one would expect. Think lasted 4 minutes before heading out to the bar...

At least there is a political element to this post.

Who thought it would be a good idea to hire them...and probably pay money for it.
    You can find the prices online and it is staggering what celebs charge for these events £10-20k easily
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

I went to a 'do' to mark the 25th anniversary of the end of the miners strike with the father in law who was on strike throughout. Me, the missus, fil and mil.
    Speaker was Dave Nellist. I admit I am a true blue Tory but will listen to any reasonable argument. Mil and fil as red as they come. Nellist delivered a speech of such bile, inciting violent insurrection that my in laws were shocked.

Blimey, anyone would think it was a glorious victory if they were celebrating the anniversary of getting their arrises kicked by a grocers daughter :smile:
    At least one of us in that hall was celebrating a glorious victory. :)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Fair play if you know anyone over 70 working in a full time job.

My Dad finally retired when he hit 80.
    He said he'd get bored, and he was correct, he is bored.
    My dad retired when he was 72.

I hate to break the news, but working past 70 will be the norm when most of us get there.
    I know a few people who have retired, realised they just end up working unpaid for their OH and have gone back to work for a bit of peace with the added bonus that you get paid for it. Each to their own I suppose.
    I know somebody who went back to work when the twins were born but had to retire as could not cope with the post GFC compliance regs so retired again
    :D strong.

I'm hoping the massive focus on diversity in recruitment will do the same to my boss.
    Out of interest, what do you do when someone comes to you and says they need to hire a woman? I have come across that a bit lately.

Are you a pimp or a concierge in a top hotel?
    It was board level positions or equivalent. No regulatory requirement, but they were under pressure to diversify and were struggling to find a qualified woman. Diversity in this context means a privately educated white middle class woman to go with the privately educated white middle class men.
    Yup. FWIW plenty of investors will not invest in companies with male only boards.
    I once had to sit through a conference about this. A bunch of high earning privately educated white women moaning about the lack of opportunities they have. I know one of them received close to £400k as a bonus in the mid 90s. Anyway, I wanted to ask what they thought about the fact there wasn't a single black person in the entire audience, but needed to be professional, so didn't.
    I was at an awards do at the Grosvenor, so 1,000+ attendees, with Lenny Henry doing a warm up act and he pointed out that the only other black people there were serving drinks
    I went to an awards dinner at the Grosvenor and Michaela Strachen kissed me on the cheek. Childhood dream realised kind of
    Was competing in a skateboard tournament in the late 70s and the "celeb" presenting trophies was Linda Lovelace in a leotard and stilletoes. Possibly one for another thread. 😉
    Were you old enough at the time to know who she was?
    Not legally, but yes, I knew. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I hate to break the news, but working past 70 will be the norm when most of us get there.
    I know a few people who have retired, realised they just end up working unpaid for their OH and have gone back to work for a bit of peace with the added bonus that you get paid for it. Each to their own I suppose.
    I know somebody who went back to work when the twins were born but had to retire as could not cope with the post GFC compliance regs so retired again

I'm hoping the massive focus on diversity in recruitment will do the same to my boss.
    Out of interest, what do you do when someone comes to you and says they need to hire a woman? I have come across that a bit lately.

It was board level positions or equivalent. No regulatory requirement, but they were under pressure to diversify and were struggling to find a qualified woman. Diversity in this context means a privately educated white middle class woman to go with the privately educated white middle class men.
    Yup. FWIW plenty of investors will not invest in companies with male only boards.
    I once had to sit through a conference about this. A bunch of high earning privately educated white women moaning about the lack of opportunities they have. I know one of them received close to £400k as a bonus in the mid 90s. Anyway, I wanted to ask what they thought about the fact there wasn't a single black person in the entire audience, but needed to be professional, so didn't.
    I was at an awards do at the Grosvenor, so 1,000+ attendees, with Lenny Henry doing a warm up act and he pointed out that the only other black people there were serving drinks
    I went to an awards dinner at the Grosvenor and Michaela Strachen kissed me on the cheek. Childhood dream realised kind of
    Was competing in a skateboard tournament in the late 70s and the "celeb" presenting trophies was Linda Lovelace in a leotard and stilletoes. Possibly one for another thread. 😉
    Were you old enough at the time to know who she was?
    Not legally, but yes, I knew. 😉
    And Pross was happy with a kiss that a page 3 girl was handing out...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    elbowloh said:

orraloon said:

I went to a work conference with OH, her work, where the after dinner speakers were Neil and Christine Hamilton. 😳 The total b ellend and her other half were as one would expect. Think lasted 4 minutes before heading out to the bar...

At least there is a political element to this post.

Who thought it would be a good idea to hire them...and probably pay money for it.
    It was embarassing for all. This was a FTSE250 company do. Have to assume whoever did the hiring was into the cash in brown envelopes mode of operation as per the (male) b ellend. The little I saw of the 'double act' showed she was streets sharper than him. It was such a xxxx show, I think the room was about 40% full by the time their gig was over.

I assume the company organiser is now a Spaffer's cabinet minister, about the correct performance level.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Quite amusing that Clinton (presidency ended 20 years ago) and Bush (ended 12 years ago and always seemed quite old) are still younger than Biden.

That said, it's refreshing to see a President talking straight into a camera, not showboating for an audience and managing to talk with mentioning how great they are despite all evidence to the contrary.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    Pross said:

Quite amusing that Clinton (presidency ended 20 years ago) and Bush (ended 12 years ago and always seemed quite old) are still younger than Biden.

That said, it's refreshing to see a President talking straight into a camera, not showboating for an audience and managing to talk with mentioning how great they are despite all evidence to the contrary.

Also, Fauci could hardly contain his delight this afternoon at being treated with respect, and (somehow) avoiding the 'what if' question about the past year:

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Yeah, that's great. Cheers for posting.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    One of things about the very lengthy article you published the other day is that Faucci doesn't come out of it smelling of roses.
  • Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • What I don’t understand is why I see our obsession with a non-existent special relationship as a national humiliation yet the nationalists see it as a source of pride.

Surely the roles should be reversed?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

HAHHAH you could A ask why they think there arent more women in that level / type of role, suggest a review and a rethink on selection / hiring process / corporate culture to address diverstiy issues

B as above

C hire a woman

D repeat with "diversity". one groups selection for diversity reasons is another groups discrimination.

My recommendation is go with C and for diversity go with hiring diversity candidates. unless youre very senior and can talk with authority on the legal AND the reputation costs AND the effect on motivation and culture.

But Im guessing youre not the CEO or Business owner. so just hire what youve been told to hire.

Discrimination is evil in all its forms.

• david37

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

that would not have been unproffesional at all. In fact a very relevant issue.
  • david37
    john80 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Point them to a number of anti discrimination laws that might see them lose money in the courts. That is unless it is a role in a film where a hairy guy is not going to meet expectations and being a woman is essential to the role.
    Don't talk about what you don't know.
    Hope you are planning on reducing your post count on that basis. What above was factually incorrect. Can I ask for a male only list where the male criteria is not essential to the role.

NO
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    david37 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

HAHHAH you could A ask why they think there arent more women in that level / type of role, suggest a review and a rethink on selection / hiring process / corporate culture to address diverstiy issues

B as above

C hire a woman

D repeat with "diversity". one groups selection for diversity reasons is another groups discrimination.

My recommendation is go with C and for diversity go with hiring diversity candidates. unless youre very senior and can talk with authority on the legal AND the reputation costs AND the effect on motivation and culture.

But Im guessing youre not the CEO or Business owner. so just hire what youve been told to hire.

Discrimination is evil in all its forms.

You seem a bit confused
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited January 2021
    Stevo_666 said:
    Yeah, I would say that's a positive thing and I don't understand why people are using Google to hunt for the negative.

Jeez, a flurry of posts, I thought something interesting had happened!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    ddraver said:

Just as amusing that it took three Telegraph writers to string that "He called me first, na na na!" twaddle together.
  • Stevo_666
    Not sure why the LoL? Unless you're the one doing the clutching here with your attempt to find the negatives in this? ;)

Three questions for you consider:-
    - Why do you think Biden called Boris before any EU leaders?
    - How much weight do you attribute to Daily Express articles?
    - Does the EU have trade deal with the USA?
  • Stevo_666
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:
    Yeah, I would say that's a positive thing and I don't understand why people are using Google to hunt for the negative.

Jeez, a flurry of posts, I thought something interesting had happened!
    Agree, it is a positive thing. Some people just cannot handle positive things it would appear.
  • ddraver said:

Just as amusing that it took three Telegraph writers to string that "He called me first, na na na!" twaddle together.
    Carefully written. On a casual basis you think he was the first call not “one of the first outside of North America”

Why can’t these fervent nationalists climb off their knees and gain some self respect?
  • Stevo_666

ddraver said:

Carefully written. On a casual basis you think he was the first call not “one of the first outside of North America”

Have a cracking at answering my first question to Rick.
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2021

Keep digging.

Rick has his shovel out...

Care to answer my three questions above, as Rick will simply avoid them as usual.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    edited January 2021
    I just find it funny you’re highlighting a fairly meaningless symbol and ignoring the actual words coming out from Biden and people in his administration.

Maybe you only read the telegraph so you haven’t seen the words, I don’t know, but the focus on the sequencing of the phone calls looks really desperate.