US Politics / Biden thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,581

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Fair play if you know anyone over 70 working in a full time job.

My Dad finally retired when he hit 80.
    He said he'd get bored, and he was correct, he is bored.
    My dad retired when he was 72.

I hate to break the news, but working past 70 will be the norm when most of us get there.
    I know a few people who have retired, realised they just end up working unpaid for their OH and have gone back to work for a bit of peace with the added bonus that you get paid for it. Each to their own I suppose.
    I know somebody who went back to work when the twins were born but had to retire as could not cope with the post GFC compliance regs so retired again
    :D strong.

I'm hoping the massive focus on diversity in recruitment will do the same to my boss.
    Out of interest, what do you do when someone comes to you and says they need to hire a woman? I have come across that a bit lately.

Are you a pimp or a concierge in a top hotel?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I hate to break the news, but working past 70 will be the norm when most of us get there.
    I know a few people who have retired, realised they just end up working unpaid for their OH and have gone back to work for a bit of peace with the added bonus that you get paid for it. Each to their own I suppose.
    I know somebody who went back to work when the twins were born but had to retire as could not cope with the post GFC compliance regs so retired again

I'm hoping the massive focus on diversity in recruitment will do the same to my boss.
    Out of interest, what do you do when someone comes to you and says they need to hire a woman? I have come across that a bit lately.

You give them a shortlist which is maybe 50% longer than usual, with roughly the amount you would normally have for a shortlist as women (if they exist) and the rest will be the top top men.

So they have a decent choice of women but can compare them to the best men.

A female only shortlist is, on paper at least, illegal, but then people produce male only shortlists all the time and aren't called out on it, but I won't do it, unless all the top candidates happen to be women (which has never happened in FS as there aren't enough of them).
    Thanks for the explanation.
    There are exceptions for roles where there is a regulatory requirement to be diverse (like certain Boards require at least one woman on them).

• yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2021

Since Trump is out. Might as well kick this off.

I'll start. It is quite remarkable how old he is. Can't think of any other profession where you have a 78 year old just starting out their job as the big cheese.

I did wonder about his age but the strength of his speech yesterday and the conviction with which he delivered it (accepting that he'll have been well rehearsed), suggests he's got some energy to give. Problem at that age is health issues can crop up quickly and seriously.
    You would assume he's only thinking of 1 term anyway though, and will expect Harris to be a lot more prominent that many VPs have been to pave the way for a 2024 run. Against Ivanka lol.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,637
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

It was board level positions or equivalent. No regulatory requirement, but they were under pressure to diversify and were struggling to find a qualified woman. Diversity in this context means a privately educated white middle class woman to go with the privately educated white middle class men.
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

It was board level positions or equivalent. No regulatory requirement, but they were under pressure to diversify and were struggling to find a qualified woman. Diversity in this context means a privately educated white middle class woman to go with the privately educated white middle class men.
    Yup. FWIW plenty of investors will not invest in companies with male only boards.
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Yup. FWIW plenty of investors will not invest in companies with male only boards.
    I once had to sit through a conference about this. A bunch of high earning privately educated white women moaning about the lack of opportunities they have. I know one of them received close to £400k as a bonus in the mid 90s. Anyway, I wanted to ask what they thought about the fact there wasn't a single black person in the entire audience, but needed to be professional, so didn't.
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I once had to sit through a conference about this. A bunch of high earning privately educated white women moaning about the lack of opportunities they have. I know one of them received close to £400k as a bonus in the mid 90s. Anyway, I wanted to ask what they thought about the fact there wasn't a single black person in the entire audience, but needed to be professional, so didn't.
    The discussion is moving on beyond just referring to gender when considering diversity.
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

The discussion is moving on beyond just referring to gender when considering diversity.
    Yes, I've gone off the off-topic.
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Yes, I've gone off the off-topic.
    Haha no i meant in terms of 'diversity' on boards etc.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Point them to a number of anti discrimination laws that might see them lose money in the courts. That is unless it is a role in a film where a hairy guy is not going to meet expectations and being a woman is essential to the role.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Point them to a number of anti discrimination laws that might see them lose money in the courts. That is unless it is a role in a film where a hairy guy is not going to meet expectations and being a woman is essential to the role.
    Don't talk about what you don't know.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited January 2021
    Can anybody update me on something interesting Biden has done?
  • rick_chasey

Can anybody update me on something interesting Biden had done?

Removed Churchill's bust from the white house ;)
  • focuszing723

Johnson's going to be well miffed. Didn't Obama do that too?
  • rick_chasey

Johnson's going to be well miffed. Didn't Obama do that too?

Yes. It's beginning to take on a comic vibe.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638

He recycled all the take out menus I think.

And removed the Nazi memorabilia.
  • focuszing723

Ha. I like the spoof Trump handover letters people made up too.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

There weren't any. Trump only had maccy D's and had the same meal every time.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

There weren't any. Trump only had maccy D's and had the same meal every time.

• Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I was at an awards do at the Grosvenor, so 1,000+ attendees, with Lenny Henry doing a warm up act and he pointed out that the only other black people there were serving drinks
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Don't talk about what you don't know.
    Hope you are planning on reducing your post count on that basis. What above was factually incorrect. Can I ask for a male only list where the male criteria is not essential to the role.
  • elbowloh

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I was at an awards do at the Grosvenor, so 1,000+ attendees, with Lenny Henry doing a warm up act and he pointed out that the only other black people there were serving drinks
    I went to an awards dinner at the Grosvenor and Michaela Strachen kissed me on the cheek. Childhood dream realised kind of
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I went to an awards dinner at the Grosvenor and Michaela Strachen kissed me on the cheek. Childhood dream realised kind of
    Was competing in a skateboard tournament in the late 70s and the "celeb" presenting trophies was Linda Lovelace in a leotard and stilletoes. Possibly one for another thread. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Was competing in a skateboard tournament in the late 70s and the "celeb" presenting trophies was Linda Lovelace in a leotard and stilletoes. Possibly one for another thread. 😉
    Were you old enough at the time to know who she was?
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Who? I remember skiving off school to go and see Maria Whittaker opening Top Shop in Cardiff and getting a kiss and signed photo.

Also got one Doro Pesch from Warlock when she was signing albums in the local record shop before a gig but she probably fits into the "who?" category for most of you!
  • Pross
    BTW, how did this become a topic of discussion in a US politics thread? I assumed I was in nostalgia or trivially cheering up threads!
  • focuszing723
    Pross said:

BTW, how did this become a topic of discussion in a US politics thread? I assumed I was in nostalgia or trivially cheering up threads!

It's the Biden thread though, you have to think of something else interesting to talk about.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    edited January 2021
    I went to a work conference with OH, her work, where the after dinner speakers were Neil and Christine Hamilton. 😳 The total b ellend and her other half were as one would expect. Think lasted 4 minutes before heading out to the bar...

At least there is a political element to this post.
  • elbowloh
    orraloon said:

I went to a work conference with OH, her work, where the after dinner speakers were Neil and Christine Hamilton. 😳 The total b ellend and her other half were as one would expect. Think lasted 4 minutes before heading out to the bar...

At least there is a political element to this post.

Who thought it would be a good idea to hire them...and probably pay money for it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I went to a 'do' to mark the 25th anniversary of the end of the miners strike with the father in law who was on strike throughout. Me, the missus, fil and mil.
    Speaker was Dave Nellist. I admit I am a true blue Tory but will listen to any reasonable argument. Mil and fil as red as they come. Nellist delivered a speech of such bile, inciting violent insurrection that my in laws were shocked.