Festive 500 2020

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I did some weights for a couple of hours, how many K’s is that in pretend money :D
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I did 32.47 mi yesterday and 70.61 today to finish with 507km/315mi, 13,700 ft climbing over 6 rides, all outside.
    Good luck everyone over next 2 days
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    edited December 2020
    +53km for me today. Legs were shot, was going to do a bit more this evening but it didn't happen.

Apparently I've done 16k feet of climbing (albeit simulated) which might explain the legs.

@thistle_ I have you at 349: 25th you reported 10 miles = 16k not 18k (correct me if I’m wrong),

Yes it should be 18k - it was a 16k route but with 2km of faffing around at the start/end :smile:
    Hopefully I won't need those extra 2kms.
  • thistle_
    Just had a look on Rapha's website at the festive 500 shop (the ideal place to sell woven badges) and a lot of the kit seems to be sold out already.
  • Update:

anymore for anymore?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611

Update:

anymore for anymore?

Milemuncher needs to get his finger out.
  • thistle_ said:

Just had a look on Rapha's website at the festive 500 shop (the ideal place to sell woven badges) and a lot of the kit seems to be sold out already.

I did ask them about why they don't sell badges... I got a generic reply along the lines of "... there are many reasons... and we might offer badges in the future... "
    left the forum March 2023
  • thistle_
    +77km for me today.
    Strava reckons that puts me on 485 km for the challenge, a manual recount on Strava gives 304.85 miles (490 km), leaderboard above will have me on 481 km.
    No idea where the counting's all gone wrong - I'll make sure I do at least 19km tomorrow just to be sure!
  • +40 km today...
    If I get an hour ice free tomorrow, I'll manage to finish at least the Festive400
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,586
    I’m done. 101.85 km done today , that’s 514 km in total. Day off tomorrow!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    Another 47kms for me today giving a total of 142kms. If I get an easy 18kms tomorrow then I'll be happy with 160kms/100 miles for a week at this time of year.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Never got above freezing round here. Went for a walk with the missus again very slippy under foot. Did see two guys out riding by the time we got to gritted roads, but I would have needed to drive to get to them.
  • thistle_
    webboo said:

Never got above freezing round here. Went for a walk with the missus again very slippy under foot. Did see two guys out riding by the time we got to gritted roads, but I would have needed to drive to get to them.

It's a bit weird weather wise this week.
    I've just been for a hike to to the supermarket and back and it was fine apart from a wooden bridge in the park which was all iced over and I nearly went flying.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698
    edited January 2021
    Tonight's update:

congrats to:
    @Dorset_Boy
    @carbonclem
    @N0bodyOfTheGoat
    @thistle_

Anymore for anymore?

Edit:
    I don't know what happened but I managed to delete a post completly !!!
    so I'll put this here

Final Table
  • mrb123
    70km for me today. 471 total. The end is in sight!
  • 51Km registered today to get me to 505Km, despite my commute home from work not recording on the GPS computer and manual entries don't count for the challenge, but vitual rides do so I'm done.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • thistle_
    Add another 24km on for me :sunglasses:
    Convinced someone to do a quick group ride on zwift this evening which was good fun.

Might go for an outside ride tomorrow just to remind myself what it's like. Probably a lockdown dodging zombie apocalypse again.
  • pblakeney
    thistle_ said:

Add another 24km on for me :sunglasses:
    Convinced someone to do a quick group ride on zwift this evening which was good fun.

Might go for an outside ride tomorrow just to remind myself what it's like. Probably a lockdown dodging zombie apocalypse again.

Not if the roads are like around this Tier 4 today.
    Ice is what is stopping me though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Who is going to finish the Real Thing, I mean ALL outdoors?
  • mrb123
    Well I'm done. Polished off the final 29km needed for a round 500.

It has been disappointing not to do more outside, but it quickly became apparent with conditions as they were that completion would be impossible without involving the turbo trainer.

Plus, now more than ever it felt like it would be foolish in the extreme to risk an accident in pursuit of a Strava challenge! For a future attempt I think I'd definitely consider getting some studded tyres fitted to one of my bikes in case of it turning icy like it has.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,916
    Finished off the year with a 51 kms Ven-Top this morning.
    Too icy even down here to risk going out with the amount of surface water there is around.
    Well done to everyone who gets to the 500 kms, or close to. Different challenges to indoors and outdoors.
  • mrb123

Finished off the year with a 51 kms Ven-Top this morning.
    Too icy even down here to risk going out with the amount of surface water there is around.
    Well done to everyone who gets to the 500 kms, or close to. Different challenges to indoors and outdoors.

Yeah, doing it mostly indoors had it's own challenges. Had hoped to get around 300km of the 500 done over 2 big rides outdoors, but instead it has been a case of going into the garage to the turbo for 2 or 3 hours every day.
  • Managed another 26 km to complete my Festive400. We had 6 days out of 8 with icy roads, so I am not overly disappointed by only having done 400. I was 4 hours away from 500, but I am not sure there were another 4 hours to ride safely since the 26th.

Sure, I could have gone up and down the same gritted mile of A road, but that's even worse than cycling indoors... :D
  • Compelling... AND you can buy the sew on Badge!

https://www.pvsevents.com/festivefuckall
  • mrb123

Compelling... AND you can buy the sew on Badge!

Spending time with your family. Sounds pretty gruelling!
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,586
    Shout out to the two guys who did laps of Herne Hill velodrome. 500 k in a oner!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Shout out to the two guys who did laps of Herne Hill velodrome. 500 k in a oner!

Is it open 24/7?
  • thistle_

I think by doing 400k you've disqualified yourself.
    Wish I'd know about that challenge earlier and I would've signed up.
  • pblakeney
    mrb123 said:

Spending time with your family. Sounds pretty gruelling!
    Liked this part...

"...To take up this challenge all you have to do is sign up, join our non-existant Strava group, then upload none of your ride data to it."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698
    edited January 2021
    Final day

Well done all, almost anybody could of completed this in the middle of summer and if everybody could complete it, it wouldn't be such a challenge would it?

Anymore for anymore?

It's appeared again! What's going on?
    Test Edit: