Festive 500 2020

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    100km outside for me today. Was far too icy this morning but got out at noon.

That's 250km total in 4 days so well on track, plus have more free time over the next 4 days than the previous 4.
  • elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

There were some chaps doing laps round Richmond Park yesterday trying to do 500km in 24 hours. They started at midnight, but had to abandon after about 350km due to storm Bella.

Not a bad effort... 350 km in December is hard going!
    Especially doing laps. I get board after about 3.
    Richmond Park is about 10km, so it's 35 laps, not too bad... there are deer and nice countryside... it's more the tiny climbs, which become a huge drag after a while... if it was pan flat, it would be very bearable
    left the forum March 2023
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    After Christmas eve’s paltry 24.77K and not riding on Christmas Day as it never got above freezing and it was an official White Christmas round here. I managed 80.83 yesterday and 124.87 today. I just hope it warms up abit tomorrow to get a ride in.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,933
    67 kms round Watopia today so up to 337 kms now. Shame RF500 didn't start on Monday as I've done 534 kms since Monday.
  • Up to 319 after my first ever fake Gran Fondo.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    221.2mi/341km complete so well on track to finish. Started xmas eve with 58 mi in the morning and 30 mi in afternoon. 83 mi on 25th before lunch and 40 mi today. All outside as i dont have a trainer.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    65km today , roads like rivers here so wet feet again and then cold.
    Will try and do a bit tomorrow to hit 300km which is a nice point to be at.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Forecast deteriorating over the next few days... now looks unlikely I will complete...
    Not worth risking a collar bone for a virtual brown badge... now, if it was woven, then it would be a different story... :D
  • webboo
    Still freezing round my way. Went for a walk with the missus, roads were so bad I don’t think I could have got to end of the street. Tomorrow looks possible but then next two days look like an ice fest as well.
  • mrb123
    The mornings round here are a write off at the moment - far too icy. The problem is that everywhere is totally sodden so water is running off the fields and over the roads which are then freezing up in the early hours.

I will get the miles done but about half will be on the turbo I think. Have at least been trying to do hilly routes on Rouvy rather than bashing out flat, easy miles on there.
  • I hadn’t heard of the festive 500 till a few months ago, I thought of giving it a go but the poor weather stopped me (I’ve been hiding away on my rollers). Nevertheless I am still curious about how you’re all doing, so reading the posts again, I put this together…

kilometres taken from your posts, I do hope you don't mind, I know it's not a race
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I hadn’t heard of the festive 500 till a few months ago, I thought of giving it a go but the poor weather stopped me (I’ve been hiding away on my rollers). Nevertheless I am still curious about how you’re all doing, so reading the posts again, I put this together…

kilometres taken from your posts, I do hope you don't mind, I know it's not a race

That detective outfit and magnifying glass is very fitting.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy
    @Charlie_Croker You don't have my Christmas Day distance down which was 53 kms and you can add 64 kms for today. With the extra odds and sodds I'm now at 402 kms total.
  • It's always been a race... they are just trying to ruin it... so away goes the leaderboard, showing you folks in Thailand having covered 1,000 km, while you have struggled to do 200... now you don't know where you stand anymore.
    Away goes the woven roundel, a permanent reminder that you actually did it.
    In goes the Zwift brigade, who can now compete from their basement or living room, whilst sipping hot cocoa...
    To make matter worse, they introduce a brown logo, which nobody is quite sure what it represents (I am told it's radar cloud coverage... yeah, whatever)...

It's really gone downhill, let's face it...
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

I hadn’t heard of the festive 500 till a few months ago, I thought of giving it a go but the poor weather stopped me (I’ve been hiding away on my rollers). Nevertheless I am still curious about how you’re all doing, so reading the posts again, I put this together…

Think I'm up to just over 200 (nearly all of it indoors) but work & other stuff will mean I will lucky to break 250.
  • mrb123

Great work Charlie. Put me down for 336 after today please...
  • Another 67Km of fakery completed to take tally to 386...

There'll be some real Kms tomorrow.🤯
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    If we're having a leader board...
    I should be 105, 18, 66, 102 and 60 today.
    I make that 351km but Strava says it's 354km so maybe there's a bit lost due to rounding somewhere.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699
    edited December 2020
    @thistle_ I have you at 349: 25th you reported 10 miles = 16k not 18k (correct me if I’m wrong), 27th you reported just over 100k, I've corrected that to read 102 now, alright?

any more for any more?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    You could put me down for an imaginary 500. 😉
    In reality it has been a virtual 46. Once you are out, you are out! 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    Given it’s been snowing/ sleeting overnight round here and it’s only 1 degree. I think my efforts over.
  • webboo said:

Given it’s been snowing/ sleeting overnight round here and it’s only 1 degree. I think my efforts over.

Beginning to snow here too...
  • mrb123
    Another morning, sheet ice here again in the North East. Looking like more turbo time today unless it rapidly warms up.
  • I managed to squeeze in 24 km after a modest snowfall.... temperature outside 0.8 degrees, but roads were clear of ice.
    I have now rebranded it The Festive 400... I might be able to complete that if tomorrow afternoon is ice free
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Nice one Charlie , please update mine -

Dec 24 - 101.65km
    Dec 26 - 103.13km
    Dec 27 - 64.73km
    Dec 28 - 40.99km
    Dec 29 - 101.85km

Yesterday and today in the sleet and snow but avoided flooded roads. Health aside, it’s been really tough in the elements, it really is a different beast to the Zwift challenge.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Dorset_Boy
    102 of Watopia's finest kilometres completed today, which with the extra part kms from the last week makes 504 Rapha#Festive500 kilometres completed! Roughly 1/3 outside, 2/3 inside.
  • Well, that's gone t*ts up.
    Rode over to Lincoln on Sunday - 100km, then done nothing at all yesterday and a mere 20km today.
    Therefore I need to eek out another 200km in the next 48 hours which is looking less likely as every hour passes.
  • 68Km added today, through a combination of commuting and some Zwift after work.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrb123
    65km for me today, 401 total now.

All turbo time today sadly, riding outside would have been impossible without ice spikes.

Even a two mile walk this morning was a struggle, paths totally ice covered. Had to stick to the bus routes that were gritted and walk on the road, not the paths.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    You can put me down for another 49 virtual kms. I'm not looking for prizes, just to not be pathetic. Looking at the state of the shaded backroads indoors looks like the sensible option.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.