Festive 500 2020

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited December 2020
    Not going to happen for me i expect. Got to paint the mural in the boy's room in the xmas to NY break and the wife is stressed at the moment with both her parents ill with COVID.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

Pretty flat Zwift route to supplement outdoor rides and reach the target...

https://www.strava.com/segments/26741693

Any point in doing the watered down indoor version of the 500? You don't even get the roundel...
    The concept of spinning away while munching mince pies seems contrary to the original concept. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Just started snowing quite heavily here. Looks like turbo today - so much for doing it all outside.
  • mrb123 said:

Just started snowing quite heavily here. Looks like turbo today - so much for doing it all outside.

Sunny here, temperature hovering around zero. After the rainfall, it's probably black ice galore. I'll wait until lunchtime
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

mrb123 said:

Sunny here, temperature hovering around zero. After the rainfall, it's probably black ice galore. I'll wait until lunchtime
    Yeah, seemed like a perfect storm for ice, absolutely pi$$ing down last night to wash away all the grit, then freezing up in the early hours.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I finally picked up my old bike which has been winterised, as far as that is possible, and rode it in to work this morning. Of course, today the roads are drier than they have been for weeks, and it is quite sunny! :/
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    edited December 2020
    Day one... 86 km... at 3 degrees... cold, occasionally nice, often a drag

https://www.strava.com/activities/4512421965
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    My day was 15 and bit miles, lots of flooded roads. Turned back when I hit slush covered roads.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Lovely here today but I've opted for the indoor version (I've done the outdoor version twice so indoor is a different challenge).
    Last year I did a hilly (outdoor) 120k on the first day. Today it was 105k in Watopia and I nearly died both physically and mentally.
    I think it's going to be hard work this year.
    pblakeney said:

The concept of spinning away while munching mince pies seems contrary to the original concept. 😉

All the cafes around here are shut (tier 4) so I think eating mice pies on the turbo is fair game as long as they stay down.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    thistle_ said:

pblakeney said:

All the cafes around here are shut (tier 4) so I think eating mice pies on the turbo is fair game as long as they stay down.

I never stopped when doing them in the past. The incentive was to get home to the munchies and hot chocolate ASAP. Coffee was pre-ride. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    79 kms outside and 51 kms inside today. Decent start, but fully recognise doing all 500 kms outdoors is the biggest achievement.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,420
    Was working, managed 47km at lunchtime... Weather looks bad Saturday and Sunday, but Monday-Thursday looks alright. So I'll be backloading it.

I have been Zwifting a lot this year, so I am doing this one outdoors like last year.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    Just over 100km today. Wet feet from a flooded road early on meant cold feet all ride. Went high then to stay safe and battled cold winds. Slowest I’ve ridden in ages but first 100k in a while so kind of happy.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • yeah, very slow here too... I tried not to push, as when I do, I sweat and then half an hour later I get very cold regardless of how many layers I wear... it seems to have worked just about OK...
  • Day 2... in the end I managed to scrape 55km... an hour before lunch and an hour between the main and the pudding... ;)
    That's dedication.
    Very cold but very sunny, I did stick to deserted and gritted A roads
  • thistle_
    edited December 2020

Was working, managed 47km at lunchtime... Weather looks bad Saturday and Sunday, but Monday-Thursday looks alright. So I'll be backloading it.

Might be worth trying to get a couple of short rides in Sat/Sun if possible to ease the pressure later on.
    In 2018 I had 2km left to do on the last day, went for play on my MTB and crashed 1km from home (failing to bunny hop up kerb), managed to limp back home to complete it :smiley:

Just a quick 10 miles for me this morning, stuff to do and feeling sore after yesterday.
  • Balls!
    Decided to have a bash at this seeing how officially I'm not working until Tuesday.
    Just cycled down to Loughborough, a mere 35km, half of which is on a nicely tarmaced old railway line. By the time I've cycled back I'll have the first 70km under my belt.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited December 2020
    It's all a bit rubbish this year, there seems to be no leaderboard on Strava

• After dither and delay this morning, being able to more than double today's distance while chatting on the phone at easy recovery pace was a bonus, 130Km of fakeness over ~4hrs20mins so far.

The con is still on! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • 93 km today and almost half the way (235 km)...

tomorrow after the storm should be a decent day, then it's downhill on Monday. If I can get to 300 tomorrow, then I have a decent enough cushion
  • thistle_
    edited December 2020

93 km today and almost half the way (235 km)...

tomorrow after the storm should be a decent day, then it's downhill on Monday. If I can get to 300 tomorrow, then I have a decent enough cushion

66km today so scraping along but could do with building in a bit of a buffer so I can have a day off at some point.
    I think I've figured out this pacing malarky which made it more enjoyable.
  • Derby to Leicester via Loughborough and back today. Another 115km in the bag.

Weather dependent, but hoping to do Derby to Lincoln tomorrow with a train ride back against the headwind, then cycle back from Nottingham on the return leg instead of waiting for ages for connecting trains. Potentially another 135km. So, that would give me 320km and a day off on Monday, meaning I'd have Tuesday through to Friday to polish off another 180km while at work.

Easy-peasy.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    Another 100k today so 40% done. Might do a couple of half days next to take it easy? See I I feel and how the wind blows.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    edited December 2020
    Another 85Km of fakery, not sure what hurts more, the legs or my backside after ~2.3 hours on the turbo... 217 tally, slightly ahead of even pace, but just two more days off work before I've then got to fit bike time in around walking ~4+ hours (~9+ miles) at work on Tues plus Weds.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    86 kms today to bring me up to 270 kms, so a bit over half way.
  • thistle_
    Set out to do 70k on Zwift, carried on and did just over 100k so pleased with that.
    Pacing and mince pies on the long descents are the way forward.

Was a bit surprised to see a couple of people doing the PRL 100 route chucking out 6w/kg up box hill and one of them getting the KOM spot after 125k.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited December 2020
    thistle_ said:

Set out to do 70k on Zwift, carried on and did just over 100k so pleased with that.
    Pacing and mince pies on the long descents are the way forward.

Was a bit surprised to see a couple of people doing the PRL 100 route chucking out 6w/kg up box hill and one of them getting the KOM spot after 125k.

... although I very much doubt 6 W/Kg will get you anywhere near the KOM on the real hill. For reference, in Hill Climbing, you'd need 8.5-9W/Kg to win a race up Box Hill... definitively 9 W/Kg if it was the National

Managed 76 km today... starting to take the toll on my resolve... ultimately it's all for a brown virtual badge innit? Anyway, 311 done, 189 to go... tomorrow probably day off, looking at the forecast
  • elbowloh
    There were some chaps doing laps round Richmond Park yesterday trying to do 500km in 24 hours. They started at midnight, but had to abandon after about 350km due to storm Bella.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

There were some chaps doing laps round Richmond Park yesterday trying to do 500km in 24 hours. They started at midnight, but had to abandon after about 350km due to storm Bella.

Not a bad effort... 350 km in December is hard going!
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Not a bad effort... 350 km in December is hard going!
    Especially doing laps. I get board after about 3.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk