Festive 500 2020

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Too true!
    Am I subversive for doing the Rapha 500 wearing Castelli? 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ibr17xvii said:

Ive done the last few Festive 500's and enjoyed getting the roundels. Id certainly have paid for one upon completion. I'll still try again this year ... I'm just getting back to normal after getting a moderate case of C-19, so it'll be a good thing to finish.

Regarding the Zwift thing - getting these miles in over Xmas has been tough some years with the weather, especially balancing riding opportunities against Xmas commitments. I see Zwift 500 as a real cop out.

Nonsense.

For some they have no other alternative.
    It’s not nonsense. Doing 500 km on a trainer is fine, it’s an achievement, but very different to 500km outdoors at that time.

Plus

= several gazillion Kms.
    It’s no wonder they aren’t sending patches out anymore.

• To be fair, this ‘challenge’ is mainly aimed at the sort of chod that plods around R.P. for a couple of hours, then sits outside Grind for the rest of the day, looking like they’ve been doing hill reps on the Angliru.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    500 km on a turbo sounds just as grim as riding outside in crap weather - it's just a different variation of sadism.
  • Sending patches was probably very staff time intense, rather than costly per se. That's why they should make it available for sale to anyone who wants one, without prior checks...
    left the forum March 2023
  • To be fair, this ‘challenge’ is mainly aimed at the sort of chod that plods around R.P. for a couple of hours, then sits outside Grind for the rest of the day, looking like they’ve been doing hill reps on the Angliru.

Speaking of hill reps, I am tempted to do a "Matterhorn", also called a Basecamp challenge (4424 mt of ascent) on December the 12th, to remember my dad, who passed away last year on that day and was a keen Alpine mountaineer in his hey days...
    They've fucked me over with this tier 3 though, so I am quite limited in the choice of local hills...
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

500 km on a turbo sounds just as grim as riding outside in censored weather - it's just a different variation of sadism.

I'd disagree.

Although 500km no matter how you do it is an achievement, I'd suggest 500km on Zwift is far more palatable than 500km outdoors freezing your a**e off, getting p**s wet through whilst trying to stay upright.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Outside or not at all, didn’t Rapha have a north south hemisphere version a few years back?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I know it is very much an 'each to there own' kind of thing but I love riding in winter. By 4:30pm round my way there is nothing on the roads, I can get 2-3 hrs in down country lanes and see no other person. Riding as dusk settles in the middle of the countryside with complete peace and quiet is a great experience and part of why I ride a bike all year round.

Do agree that the festive 500 is perhaps only a true challenge if you are based in the Northern hemisphere and do all the rides outdoors, that was the spirit in which it was intended when Graeme Raeburn at Rapha set it up.
  • left the forum March 2023
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Is that an actual woven patch?

Not a virtual one.
  • joe2019 said:

Not a virtual one.
    It seems so... a patch and a badge are not the same thing. I've never heard of a virtual patch. The form also asks for a physical address at the end, so clearly they do aim to send something through the post
  • joe2019

joe2019 said:

Not a virtual one.
    It seems so... a patch and a badge are not the same thing. I've never heard of a virtual patch. The form also asks for a physical address at the end, so clearly they do aim to send something through the post
    Cool, a virtual patch is what Strava 'awards' to anyone who completes any of their pointless challenges.
  • pblakeney
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Not a virtual one.
    Cool, a virtual patch is what Strava 'awards' to anyone who completes any of their pointless challenges.
    I only found out by accident recently that Garmin do this too.
    I have 24 Garmin "badges" that I knew nothing about.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Not a virtual one.
    If they help people get out on the bike how are they pointless?
  • bobmcstuff
    I'm going to try and get out and do it on the road again. Was helped by the great weather last year though. Looks like it'll be heavily backended till the last 3 days this year, working till Christmas Eve then away till the 27th.

For a real challenge, I might try 500 on the road plus 500 on Zwift...

I was kinda hoping they would have a separate challenge for Zwift and on the road. It's not like it really matters though,
  • joe2019
    edited December 2020

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Not a virtual one.
    If you need that kind of help, then you need probably help to be honest.

People have been cycling for a 100 odd years without needing a Strava challenge to get out on the bike.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Not a virtual one.

People have been cycling for a 100 odd years without needing a Strava challenge to get out on the bike.
    So one day to go it’s p*ssing down and you’ve done 425k. It might just get you out.
  • joe2019
    webboo said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Not a virtual one.

So one day to go it’s p*ssing down and you’ve done 425k. It might just get you out.
    Pffffff

• pblakeney
    webboo said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Not a virtual one.

That was me 4 years ago, almost exactly, 420kms. Dragged my sorry Harris out and was mightly glad that I did. I rather enjoyed it, and the guilt free drink & munchies afterwards. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    webboo said:

Or 3 days to go and you've done 400k when an old lady pulls out of a junction and sends you on your way to a&e :astonished:
    Completing the festive 500 was motivation to go back out on the MTB to finish it, a Strava badge probably not!
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,599

ibr17xvii said:

Ive done the last few Festive 500's and enjoyed getting the roundels. Id certainly have paid for one upon completion. I'll still try again this year ... I'm just getting back to normal after getting a moderate case of C-19, so it'll be a good thing to finish.

Regarding the Zwift thing - getting these miles in over Xmas has been tough some years with the weather, especially balancing riding opportunities against Xmas commitments. I see Zwift 500 as a real cop out.

Nonsense.

For some they have no other alternative.
    It’s not nonsense. Doing 500 km on a trainer is fine, it’s an achievement, but very different to 500km outdoors at that time.

Plus

= several gazillion Kms.
    It’s no wonder they aren’t sending patches out anymore.

Had to Google the image. I can’t imagine anyone would be so sad.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • bobmcstuff
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Not a virtual one.

Not recently, but when I was just getting into road cycling in 2014 I set myself the target of completing the Strava elevation challenge every month - it made me a lot fitter.
    I've also gone out on the 31st to knock the counter over 1,250km for the distance challenge before now.

People have always defined their cycling in terms of weekly, monthly, yearly distance targets etc. - I don't see how it is any different.

These days I train by power so I define my targets a bit differently, but I still keep an eye on my distance, elevation totals etc.. I do also look and see if any of the Strava things have prize competitions associated with them - most of them are really easy and I figure if I was going to do whatever it was anyway I may as well get the prize draw entry :smile:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I need just shy of 500 miles this month to hit my self appointed target of 8k miles but the weather and boredom i've totally lost interest, normally winter would see an increase in turbo time but even that holds no interest now.

Festive 500 could be away to hit my target

Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    At the end of November, I had a conversation with my cycling pals about distance ytd. I was on about 7400 so was confident 8k was doable and I might push on to beat my highest previous total, which is 8600. Had a lousy week last week, and I still have 250 to go for 8k, going away for 4 nights at Christmas now too, so the highest ever for me is out the window. Wish I'd never said anything!
  • This year I am on 2,200. I think 2,500 is out of reach. I just did 75k in the freezing-ish conditions and my bib tights are quite restrictive. Wouldn't want to do it again in a hurry!
  • Going to be an uphill struggle. Wife has given me lots of little tasks for Christmas day, meaning I can't cycle that day... I could early in the morning, but it looks icy and I'd rather not visit A&E right now.
    I'm also a bit short of motivation... not that I need a woven patch to ride my bike, but I might need a woven patch to cover 500 km over Christmas... also, with Christmas curbed, there is really no need to go crazy with exercise to avoid getting fat this year.

I'll give it a go, Boxing day looks good enough to make up the missing mileage, but beyond that it looks cold again... might be a DNF this year, oh well...
  • pblakeney
    Subzero forecast on the hills for the period, and undesirable roads on the flat routes.
    I'm out. Wuss.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pretty flat Zwift route to supplement outdoor rides and reach the target...

https://www.strava.com/segments/26741693
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pretty flat Zwift route to supplement outdoor rides and reach the target...

https://www.strava.com/segments/26741693

Any point in doing the watered down indoor version of the 500? You don't even get the roundel...