La Vuelta 2020 - Stage 12: Pola de Laviana > Alto de l'Angliru - 109,4 km *Spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I dunno,

I definitely thought that Roglic had a moment but "recovered" and brought some gap back today. I'm not sure Kuss really had much to do with it.

Carapaz didn't/couldn't capitalise on his advantage
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

If they (jumbo) rode super defensibly and slowed down letting the stage go to a break whatever it would signal.earlier roglic was weak . You don't want to.lose the wheel 6 k.to go . Maintain the fiction

That's fair. But he can't have been struggling every stage this season.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    edited November 2020
    RichN95. said:

If they (jumbo) rode super defensibly and slowed down letting the stage go to a break whatever it would signal.earlier roglic was weak . You don't want to lose the wheel 6 k.to go . Maintain the fiction

That's fair. But he can't have been struggling every stage this season.
    I guess that is why the fiction will work 9 times out of 10 ...that said I think kuss was kinda surprised roglic was nailed to one speed and couldn't lift it. Maybe you don't know till you are there
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Without Kuss Roglic would have lost a lot more I think. He would have slipped a lot further back, but he manger to stick on and get some momentum back.
    Then again Hugh looked terrible at one point as well. Woods rode well to support Carthy. Dan rode well alone. Ineos had the Land Rover at the side of the mountain blocking the view! I would be fuming if I was Carapaz.

love the idea of swapping the two stages.

Lancashire won that War of the roses, Tanfield book ended the stage.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

If you were watching then Roglic was struggling, or having an off day.
    As a tactic Jumbo are just doing what Sky did. People moaned then, and they are moaning now.

But there's no variation in their tactics. If Roglic is having a good day he'll attack from 300m rather than 150m. Jumbo are riding like Wiggins's Sky, not Froome's. Roglic is only interested in winning and this is likely to work, so you can't blame him
    I'm not arguing, and that's why I said Sky, not Ineos. I think both used tactics to suit them. I'd like to know if any Jumbo haters were Sky fanbois. Curious.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Jumbo were always going to ride defensively weren't they - Roglic's record on that climb and with the TT to come the only tactic was to ride a tempo that deterred attacks without blowing it to pieces on the lower slopes.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    pblakeney said:

david37 said:

Pross said:

47 minute time cut then. Could be a struggle for some despite the generosity.

If I had a ten. minute start I still wouldnt come in in the time.

My best time for the climb is 1:28:35.
    Perspective. 🤣🤣🤣
    oooft you could be my domestique at that pace. (though you might drop me :) )
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

If you were watching then Roglic was struggling, or having an off day.
    As a tactic Jumbo are just doing what Sky did. People moaned then, and they are moaning now.

But there's no variation in their tactics. If Roglic is having a good day he'll attack from 300m rather than 150m. Jumbo are riding like Wiggins's Sky, not Froome's. Roglic is only interested in winning and this is likely to work, so you can't blame him
    Riding to win is why he's here. It is good to see that whilst the other teams look weak by comparison the other leaders are not too far away. Albeit the time trial is on Tuesday.

And there is tons of TT in the tour next year so we'd all better get used to seeing a yellow team sky :)
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    i thought Roglic did remarkably well yesterday to not sustain big losses and just carry on churning out what he could. It takes skill to know when you're right on your limit and not push beyond in the heat of the moment and properly blow up and more or less have to unclip. Maybe it takes skill and a robust and level head associated with your power meter.

Given everyone said he would be poor at a steep climb, based on Montirolo, I actually thought he squeezed a better day out of it than might have been feared.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    larkim said:

Given everyone said he would be poor at a steep climb, based on Montirolo, I actually thought he squeezed a better day out of it than might have been feared.

I think what was said, certainly what I said, was that not much to go on other than the Mortirolo in the 2019 Giro, we didn't know if the super steep climbs like this were a potential weakness.

From what I saw yesterday, the answer is no. He did, as you rightly say, really well to ride to his limits and ensure the losses he incurred were minimised.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Tanfield rode a 34x36 up the climb. On the Cycling Podcast he said the climb was dreadful and that gear was what he needed.
  • mididoctors
    amrushton said:

Tanfield rode a 34x36 up the climb. On the Cycling Podcast he said the climb was dreadful and that gear was what he needed.

I have ridden steeper but not that length it's bonkers
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I rode the mortirolo a ways back was very tough ...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yeah alright Tanfield, some of us require 34x34 on boring normal climbs ok!!!!

Bitches... 😡
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    amrushton said:

Does that mean I can boast doing it on a 34x30 then? 🤣🤣🤣
    It was virtual but I have my settings at 100% so as not to kid myself.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    pblakeney said:

amrushton said:

Not the same at all, especially if it's a hot day. You'll be going so slowly in real life that you will get absolutely no wind to cool you down. An event I did that went over the Mortirolo went to the lengths of having a drink station half way up (as well as at the bottom and the top) for that very reason. Having a fan blowing air on you indoors doesn't really replicate that.
  • pblakeney
    phreak said:

pblakeney said:

amrushton said:

Not the same at all, especially if it's a hot day. You'll be going so slowly in real life that you will get absolutely no wind to cool you down. An event I did that went over the Mortirolo went to the lengths of having a drink station half way up (as well as at the bottom and the top) for that very reason. Having a fan blowing air on you indoors doesn't really replicate that.
    Who mentioned a fan? 😂
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I think he rode it on 36 inner with a 34 sprocket. Although Matt Stephens on Eurosport said when he asked him, he was going for 36 x 32.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

I think he rode it on 36 inner with a 34 sprocket. Although Matt Stephens on Eurosport said when he asked him, he was going for 36 x 32.

That makes much more sense. Still surprisingly low for a pro IMO.
    Nice to know that we all suffer, but I suffer at a lower pace. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    phreak said:

pblakeney said:

amrushton said:

It's easier to go that slowly on the turbo - in real life when it gets below a certain point you end up effectively track standing and just trying to turn the pedals often enough that you get to the top before you fall off... Which is not really a problem on the turbo!
  • It's like this, right? https://www.strava.com/segments/4479066 but going on forever.
  • pblakeney

It's like this, right? https://www.strava.com/segments/4479066 but going on forever.

Not forever. The hard part "only" lasts for 4 miles.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

phreak said:

pblakeney said:

amrushton said:

It's easier to go that slowly on the turbo - in real life when it gets below a certain point you end up effectively track standing and just trying to turn the pedals often enough that you get to the top before you fall off... Which is not really a problem on the turbo!
    Well, my average speed over the hard part was 3.9mph.
    Slow, but not falling off slow. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

It's like this, right? https://www.strava.com/segments/4479066 but going on forever.

Not forever. The hard part "only" lasts for 4 miles.
    And I couldn't see any moss on it, which must make the Angliru easier.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    webboo said:

Carthy used 53/34 with 11-32
  • pblakeney
    amrushton said:

webboo said:

Carthy used 53/34 with 11-32
    He must have hated switching between front rings. 😱
    That's a huge gap requiring double shifting.
    Veronese68 wrote: