La Vuelta 2020 - Stage 12: Pola de Laviana > Alto de l'Angliru - 109,4 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    david37 said:

Pross said:

47 minute time cut then. Could be a struggle for some despite the generosity.

If I had a ten. minute start I still wouldnt come in in the time.

My best time for the climb is 1:28:35.
    Perspective. 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    the zoncalan and angliru are ok in my book. bit silly but so what.. i was in stitches
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    It's odd, four riders within 35" of the lead and yet it feels like the race is over with a week to go.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

It's odd, four riders within 35" of the lead and yet it feels like the race is over with a week to go.

golden age of cycling . this. new era. savour it

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Totally agree with Saddles on getting these last two days the wrong way round.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    pblakeney said:

david37 said:

Pross said:

47 minute time cut then. Could be a struggle for some despite the generosity.

If I had a ten. minute start I still wouldnt come in in the time.

My best time for the climb is 1:28:35.
    Perspective. 🤣🤣🤣
    Hat. I'd struggle to drive up it in that time.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mididoctors

That's what I said
  • It's different to most iconic climbs in that I have zero ambition to ever ride it.
  • Totally agree with Saddles on getting these last two days the wrong way round.

That's what I said
    Credit has to go to Andy P for bringing the subject up before yesterday's stage:
    andyp said:

The looming Angliru may impact the racing today.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited November 2020
    All 151 starters made it within the time limit (last group of five, including Sam Bennett and Harry Tanfield was 8' 16" inside). Not bad, considering Tanfield never even heard of the Angliru, or knew he was going to ride up it until a few days prior (or so this Twitter conversation implied).

A far cry from the world of team pursuits. :D
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 465
    Maybe if Carapaz had some domestiques he’d have a bigger lead.

Roglic can only Chuck this away now unless Ineos have something up their sleeve.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    roscoe said:

Maybe if Carapaz had some domestiques he’d have a bigger lead.

Roglic can only Chuck this away now unless Ineos have something up their sleeve.

I don't see how a domestique helps on that climb. As Roglic himself showed all you can do is get up it at your own pace. I couldn't understand why Ineos chose today or all days to get Wurf in the break, the only thing I can assume is they were worried Carapaz would be isolated earlier so wanted someone who could drop back if he had a mechanical.
  • mididoctors

That's what I said
    Credit has to go to Andy P for bringing the subject up before yesterday's stage:
    andyp said:

The looming Angliru may impact the racing today.

point
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited November 2020
    I get your point and you may well be right here but i think it does help to have wheel to focus on limpet like . Kuss did this at a slightly quicker pace than Roglic would have managed on his own once he was gapped ... Maybe ! Any way sep Kuss seems to be the best climber of all them! .- even if he does look weird on a bike. Edit : This was supposed to be a reply to the post by Pross .
  • Matti66
    Carapaz looks like a Scary Bandit on podium with the beanie and mask .
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I don't really understand JVs train. When did you see the Sky train with 5 riders left that close to the finish? Why aren't they burning riders off sooner to put the others under more pressure? Or if they don't want to do that, why not give 1 or 2 of them the day off? Makes no sense, they aren't helping.
  • Matti66
    edited November 2020
    Would burn off Roglic too perhaps ? . Take out the TT and Kuss looks the strongest . But thats just an impression I get . The whole Jumbo team is on a different level . I think Groenwagon would drop half the field now. They hit pay dirt this season seems to be a momentum thing they gained in lockdown
  • bobmcstuff
    Matti66 said:

Would burn off Roglic too perhaps ? . Take out the TT and Kuss looks the strongest . But thats just an impression I get . The whole Jumbo team is on a different level . I think Groenwagon would drop half the field now. They hit pay dirt this season seems to be a momentum thing they gained in lockdown

Maybe... I don't think Roglic would struggle on shallower slopes though. If that was the case though why not leave Roglic with say 2 guys and let the other 2 have an easy day? Then they would be more help later.

I really hope they lose it again to be honest.
  • Matti66
    edited November 2020
    Hehe! I agree They are irritating in a way i can’t put my finger on . I think its that the whole squad is so well and evenly conditioned and swarm around Roglic like ... well wasps. And Roglic whilst respecting his talents isn’t a very exciting Rider.
  • pblakeney
    Jumbo are the new Sky. Simple as that.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

I don't really understand JVs train. When did you see the Sky train with 5 riders left that close to the finish? Why aren't they burning riders off sooner to put the others under more pressure? Or if they don't want to do that, why not give 1 or 2 of them the day off? Makes no sense, they aren't helping.

Yeah. If Froome had three or four riders left with 5km to go it was usually a sign that he was having an off-day.

Roglic only seems to us his team as a defensive measure, not as a means to attack
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    pblakeney said:

Roglic is not fit to tighten Froome's Boa dials.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited November 2020
    pblakeney said:

As per Rich's post. Not that simple.

Sky would have let two of them have an easy day to help later on. They wouldn't have had 5 riders left that late, unless as Rich said, Froome was having an off day.
  • Matti66
    mrb123 said:

pblakeney said:

Twas a Feeble troll any way .
  • pblakeney said:

Sky would have let two of them have an easy day to help later on. They wouldn't have had 5 riders left that late, unless as Rich said, Froome was having an off day.
    I think they are there as a psychological deterrent as much as anything else.

Just think, if Dumoulin had been on half decent form, they would have had 7 riders starting the Angliru, which is ridiculous overkill.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Say what you like about the Angliru but it does negate that team strength a bit. Had the slope been shallower you suspect Kuss would have towed Roglic back.
  • pblakeney
    mrb123 said:

pblakeney said:

Current Froome is not fit to tighten Froome's Boa dials.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

If you were watching then Roglic was struggling, or having an off day.
    As a tactic Jumbo are just doing what Sky did. People moaned then, and they are moaning now.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited November 2020
    pblakeney said:

If you were watching then Roglic was struggling, or having an off day.
    As a tactic Jumbo are just doing what Sky did. People moaned then, and they are moaning now.

But there's no variation in their tactics. If Roglic is having a good day he'll attack from 300m rather than 150m. Jumbo are riding like Wiggins's Sky, not Froome's. Roglic is only interested in winning and this is likely to work, so you can't blame him
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    edited November 2020
    If they (jumbo) rode super defensibly and slowed down letting the stage go to a break whatever it would signal.earlier roglic was weak . You don't want to.lose the wheel 6 k.to go . Maintain the fiction