Giro 2020 - Stage 19: Morbegno – Asti 253 km *Spoilers*

12346»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863

I’d be well cheesed if I was RCS.

We all knew the route. For some time. Why only decide on the day?

All that effort to get the race to go ahead in corona.

not sure the "think of the covid sacrifice people had made" thing will resonate with the peloton
    some of these riders have not been able to see their families for a goodly stints all season

basically 130k got chopped off a boring stage from a tv pov

Might as well make MSR shorter than.

The KMs add up
    Yeah buts that the point of msr. they don't ride over the stelvio the day before going up the poggio so tha analogy is bit broken from the get go ... I would have preferred they rode all of today's stage tbh . I am more interested in understanding it .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863

Adam hanson has twittered about it if you are interested.

Don't use Twitter is he @adamhansen
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794

gweeds said:

gweeds said:

Meh. It’s a censored GT. They knew the route. Tomorrow is already an easier day. It’s hardly Arctic and rain is a part of this sport.

Can you imagine Hinault mincing about like this. He’d have asked for another 50km to sort the men from the boys.

Well, if they had to lengthen the stage (if true) I have a bit of sympathy I guess. Is there a stage length limit in GTs?

But yeah, being wet and long shouldn't be a problem (hyurr).

so the re-routed stage bypassing the bridge would have been against the UCI rules at over 260km
    In that case, far easier for the riders to hang around in the cold (allegedly) and wet for a couple of hours, wait for the coaches that were already en route to the finish to turn around and pick them up, drive 130kms and start the race again, than chop off the offending 5 kms.

not.
    You rewatched Borat. Go on, admit it. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Adam hanson has twittered about it if you are interested.

Don't use Twitter is he @adamhansen
    Don't think so. Let me try and embed the tweet.

He did have some other posts but have edited them

https://mobile.twitter.com/HansenAdam/status/1319710361658994693
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    edited October 2020

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/someone-will-pay-says-giro-ditalia-race-director-following-stage-shortening-debacle-473545

“I’m very upset about the way this has happened. It isn’t the right way to resolve the issues that we face today,” Vegni told Eurosport.

The race director says he didn’t receive any request yesterday for the stage to be shortened, contradicting Adam Hansen’s account that the proposal had been brought to RCS Sport after the finish of stage 18.

>>> Giro d’Italia peloton forced into protest after initial refusal to shorten stage, says Adam Hansen

“We didn’t receive any request yesterday. We have been approached by some of the Lotto-Soudal riders [at the start of the stage].....

Plus:

Meanwhile, Bahrain-McLaren boss Rod Ellingworth told Eurosport that his team wasn’t aware of the strike until his riders radioed through on the start line to say what was happening, with Ag2r La Mondiale’s Larry Warbasse claiming in a since-deleted tweet that all teams had been consulted.

Ellingworth says his squad would have preferred to profit from rider fatigue the day after the tough Stelvio stage and the day before three ascents of the Sestriere.

(The point that some of us have been at pains to point out.)

Plus:

Rai Sport had suggested both Ineos Grenadiers and Bora-Hansgrohe also wanted to race the full length of the course, while Arnaud Démare told L’Équipe that his Groupama-FDJ were ready to take on the whole 258km.

Plus:

Bardiani CSF sports director Bruno Reverberi cut a less serene figure than his Bahrain-McLaren counterpart, incadescent with rage as he gave his opinion to Rai 2.

“I saw a lot of these stupid protests. The two main CPA representatives weren’t even warned about the protest. They should resign if they see that group is not with them.

“Many riders don’t agree with the decision. There are always those three-four riders that are all trying to destabilise the environment for their own convenience.

90% of the riders didn’t know anything about today’s protest.
    My riders didn’t know anything about it. If you support things like that you shall not complain about team sponsors not remaining in the cycling environment."

I would call that a serious communication problem.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    I can see why the race Director was upset, plus the fans and the people who would have been at the side of the original route.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/someone-will-pay-says-giro-ditalia-race-director-following-stage-shortening-debacle-473545

“I’m very upset about the way this has happened. It isn’t the right way to resolve the issues that we face today,” Vegni told Eurosport.

The race director says he didn’t receive any request yesterday for the stage to be shortened, contradicting Adam Hansen’s account that the proposal had been brought to RCS Sport after the finish of stage 18.

>>> Giro d’Italia peloton forced into protest after initial refusal to shorten stage, says Adam Hansen

“We didn’t receive any request yesterday. We have been approached by some of the Lotto-Soudal riders [at the start of the stage].....

Plus:

Meanwhile, Bahrain-McLaren boss Rod Ellingworth told Eurosport that his team wasn’t aware of the strike until his riders radioed through on the start line to say what was happening, with Ag2r La Mondiale’s Larry Warbasse claiming in a since-deleted tweet that all teams had been consulted.

Ellingworth says his squad would have preferred to profit from rider fatigue the day after the tough Stelvio stage and the day before three ascents of the Sestriere.

(The point that some of us have been at pains to point out.)

Plus:

Rai Sport had suggested both Ineos Grenadiers and Bora-Hansgrohe also wanted to race the full length of the course, while Arnaud Démare told L’Équipe that his Groupama-FDJ were ready to take on the whole 258km.

Plus:

Bardiani CSF sports director Bruno Reverberi cut a less serene figure than his Bahrain-McLaren counterpart, incadescent with rage as he gave his opinion to Rai 2.

“I saw a lot of these stupid protests. The two main CPA representatives weren’t even warned about the protest. They should resign if they see that group is not with them.

“Many riders don’t agree with the decision. There are always those three-four riders that are all trying to destabilise the environment for their own convenience.

90% of the riders didn’t know anything about today’s protest.
    My riders didn’t know anything about it. If you support things like that you shall not complain about team sponsors not remaining in the cycling environment."

I would call that a serious communication problem.
    Sounds like classic pro cycling to me.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    No mention anywhere of that apparent diversion due to a damaged bridge then. Hansen also claimed the riders all raced fully once they got started, I'm not sure that's the case. They gave up the chase of the break early and many were still wearing longs and jackets at the end. Sure, it wasn't a protest ride but that would have been counterproductive if one of the gripes is late finishes.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Pross said:

Pross said:

webboo said:

Pross said:

I have to go out tomorrow morning and run a solo 'virtual' marathon in the rain and wind. When I get home I'll have a quick shower and then will no doubt have some jobs I have to do around the house. I haven't got any sympathy with the riders today.

I’m fairly sure your livelihood doesn’t depend on your run and although I find diy taxing I’m pretty sure it doesn’t equal riding up a mountain a couple of times the day after. Then a time trial the day after that. But then again what do I know because your run and diy might just be the equivalent to that Giro.
    I didn't think I'd need to put a wink emoji on that post but it looks like I should have.

That said, most of these riders have two more days left in their season, they came to the race knowing what the stages were and I don't recall any teams complaining about the final week in advance even though it has been discussed as being incredibly difficult from when the route was announced and the curtailing of the Saturday stage had already made it slightly 'easier'. Also, some riders didn't want it reduced and it has potentially affected the racing for the GC - the ability to recover from tough days is a big part of winning a GT after all and some were looking in better shape than others.
    It's new territory thou . Different season more demanding energy wise because of the colder weather etc .so it may not have entered people's mind till they were there ... Lot of factors .. I am.bit meh on it to be frank ... What did the forum think of the route back whenever ? I think someone did mention unwise long flat stages ..

At the end of the day the peloton just weren't up for it in the moment. I wonder what the split on that was ?
    I'm disappointed as a spectator but appreciate that rider safety has to be taken into account. I've been saying for years that riders are put back onto their bike far too easily after a crash even though it has helped conjure up the images of the hardship and toughness of the sport over the years. However, as Hatch and Wiggins were saying it was an odd time to make a stand when there have been so many instances this season of race routes having genuine dangers for riders and they haven't stood their ground.

The main thing for me today is that the weather conditions weren't extreme (it could have been just as bad or worse in May and is far from the worst the Giro has thrown up even in recent years) so it was really only the stage length on top of a nasty stage yesterday. The aggravating factor was the reduction in tomorrow's stage having already been confirmed making it less of a platform for those wanting to try to take time before the TT so going into it after a 250km slog today could have been vital.

Another factor is whether it is a good look for a sport that desperately needs to attract sponsorship both for teams and races.
    Excellent post!
    I'm conflicted really; I have a problem with the reasons, as they've known for a while - so that sits slightly uneasy with me.
    However, they've actually shown some balls; maybe in future it will be for a 'proper' cause. (as discussed on Eurosport)
    Finally, some organisers need to realise it's 2020 - you can't treat riders like serfs any longer. It seems like many are stuck in a sepia tinged world, whilst other sports have moved on and embraced the modern world.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Maybe the pros were worried their carbon frames would melt?

Not like back in the day of metal frames

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    I guess the pros wouldn't be up for this?

Briançon - Aix les Bains, 263 km, Galibier, Croix de Fer, Col de Porte, Col du Cucheron, Col du Granier

No, we are not entertained !
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Still, good bit of drama...

That's been more exciting than the race would have been probably.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    davidof said:

Maybe the pros were worried their carbon frames would melt?

Not like back in the day of metal frames

Does this myth have its origins in the Pascal Simon’s special Peugeot carbon tubed climbing bike. I can vaguely remember it collapsing or something.

• Big break up the road, including Demare who has won the sprint and Viviani who is seemingly desperate for a stage win.

No Ineos, Sunweb or Astana riders, but Tratnik from Bahrain.

Brandon McNulty is in there, but he lost a lot of time the other day so he's half an hour down overall

7' of a lead with 135 k to go
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Some good points from the DK Eurosport panel this morning

Firstly, they noted that there was far from universal backing from riders/teams - Ineos, Bahrain and the Italian wildcards wanted to ride (though I can see why the wildcard teams might feel a bit of pressure if they want to be there next year).

Secondly, there was very little structure to how the decision was made - just general chaos, which meant that the loudest voices carried the day. Anyone who didn't have a strong opinion either way wouldn't really have been heard. Anyone who wasn't in the tent, or wherever the discussion took place, wouldn't have been heard. There was also a strong possibility that GT tactics came into play, as to which teams would benefit from the stage and which teams might lose out.

Thirdly, they pointed out that having ridden 4km from buses to start, already completely knackered from riding most of a GT and now wet and cold, the riders might not have been in the best mindset to make a decision like that. Very few of them would have wanted to be there, but that's not a good basis for making a decision supposedly based on rider safety.

Most of this could have been avoided if there was a) a proper riders union, that could actually organise the discussion b) a proper independent safety board with representation from the riders who could make a decision like this purely on safety grounds.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I recommend listening to last nights cycling podcast... lots of interviews with riders about what happened.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

I heard the above concerning Ineos and Bora at the same time I heard the story about the bridge collapse - but I didn't include it in my post, partly because also heard at the same time that Bora DS Jens Zemke had already criticised the length of the stage during the evening of the Stelvio stage, which to me rather cast a bit of doubt on what Bora later claimed about wanting to ride the whole distance.

This morning I heard (like No_Ta_Doctor mentions above) that the Italian wildcard teams (Androni, Bardiani und Vini Zabù) were also willing to ride the whole distance, which would have made 4-6 teams of the 20 remaining teams willing to ride.
    And that the riders voted 80%-20% in favour of a shortening, which roughly equates with the teams' willingness or not.

One of the CPA men is Gianna Bugno, former rider and twice World Champion, Giro winner in 1990.
    (Useless info note: In his first decade after retiring in 1998, Bugno continued to be connected with the Giro in an unusual capacity – he got a helicopter-pilot licence, and then was employed by RAI as one of the pilots of the helicopters used to follow and film the Giro)

I see meantime the organisers have withheld all the prize money allocated to yesterday's stage and have said they are going to donate it to some cause to do with fighting Corona. Apparently the CCC-team have accepted this, although the stage victory by Cerny will mean they are the team to lose out most.