Giro 2020 - Stage 19: Morbegno – Asti 253 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Whether the decision to shorten the stage was the right one or not, there's no doubt in my mind that the stage has already been more exciting than it would have otherwise been.

@daniellloyd1
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    DeadCalm said:

Interesting tactics from FDJ. Jersey beats a stage win. Didn't anticipate that.

Has to be at this stage
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95. said:

Who thought a pancake flat 250km stage was a good idea in the first place?

Especially at this end of a 3 week race, in between two mental mountain stages (yes, I know tomorrow's has been emasculated somewhat).
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906

I think mine is a dissenting voice but I do get it. I can see people's point about having enough time to complain before-hand but the circumstances right now are pretty unique. Riders do get ill in bad weather and such a long stage in poor conditions, after nearly three weeks this late in the season will leave them susceptible; and with COVID knocking around, and within the Giro itself I wouldn't want to be taken unnecessary chances.

And riders/teams might look at a parcours but not clock how hard that + transfers will be until they're on the spot.

Brands are advertising waterproof jackets at around the £300 mark. Are they all a con? Are we really saying that this ridiculously expensive kit can't keep riders dry for 5 hours?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041

The race is finally underway.
    It's grey and wet, but atrocious?
    Looks pretty much like a standard rainy day in the UK.

Even Bernie Eisel isn't impressed by the riders behaviour and he's still a rider rep apparently.

A rainy day in summer. I've just got in and it's quite tropical.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • salsiccia1
    phreak said:

I think mine is a dissenting voice but I do get it. I can see people's point about having enough time to complain before-hand but the circumstances right now are pretty unique. Riders do get ill in bad weather and such a long stage in poor conditions, after nearly three weeks this late in the season will leave them susceptible; and with COVID knocking around, and within the Giro itself I wouldn't want to be taken unnecessary chances.

And riders/teams might look at a parcours but not clock how hard that + transfers will be until they're on the spot.

Brands are advertising waterproof jackets at around the £300 mark. Are they all a con? Are we really saying that this ridiculously expensive kit can't keep riders dry for 5 hours?
    Well, cycling kit manufacturers seemingly overprice and overpromise on their kit, so possibly yes ;)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

RichN95. said:

Who thought a pancake flat 250km stage was a good idea in the first place?

Especially at this end of a 3 week race, in between two mental mountain stages (yes, I know tomorrow's has been emasculated somewhat).
    ...and a slightly Dutch accented scream doth rang out from the somewhere-around-Cambridge area...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

I've actually just remembered the day after I rode the Stelvio, it was wet, cold, and miserable. We rode 131km, and at least one of us had to get in the minibus because they couldn't stop shaking with the cold. Hadn't realised till I just checked strava that I'd ridden up Madonna di Campiglio that day. All I remember about it is a restaurant.

The day after I did the stelvio I woke up with a fever... Then did mortirolo and gavia, partly in the rain.

250km at this stage is too much. But reducing it to 133km is piss weak.
    I used to.ride laps of the stelvio for training when I lived in Italy . The last time I did it I had the plague and felt a bit rough so I cut it down to 3 instead of 5 laps
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    craigus89 said:

I can't believe they are showing live coverage from the motos of the team buses. Haha!

This is all just because they had a hard day yesterday and don't want to get cold. You signed up to ride a race in the italian alps in late October, what did you expect!? There is no danger to the riders, I really can't understand it to be honest.

What a shambles.

They should race the team buses.... Who's got the best bus driver?
  • mididoctors
    Bora not enjoying this
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited October 2020
    51.8km/h average so far this stage. What chances the mass start record (51.234km/h in stage 7) goes again today?

Dowsett's in an aggressive mood, I see. Better chance today than the Milan denouement, perhaps.
  • mididoctors
    Break disintegration
  • mididoctors
    Everyone does look sluggish
  • davidof
    edited October 2020
    Bora are weak kneed according to Cyril Guimard
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    What's the deal with the French bloke in the Citroen advert that can't stop talking. Why is he there? The couple clearly can't stand him. If he was a brother they'd tell him to shut up
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    davidof said:

They look buggered
  • davidof
    RichN95. said:

What's the deal with the French bloke in the Citroen advert that can't stop talking. Why is he there? The couple clearly can't stand him. If he was a brother they'd tell him to shut up

The poor woman is sweating with stress in the end
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    Bora gives up
  • mididoctors
    Lol
  • davidof

davidof said:

They look buggered
    I thought the comment by Guimard was amusing because in the 72 tour he had to be carried to the start his knees were so weak
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    That peloton is on its knees
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    TGH seems like a proper geezer.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • mididoctors
    edited October 2020
    davidof said:

davidof said:

They look buggered
    I thought the comment by Guimard was amusing because in the 72 tour he had to be carried to the start his knees were so weak
    Thats before even my time
  • mididoctors
    They are going to rue getting in late if they piano it all the way
  • davidof
    edited October 2020
    Sagan is fedup. His DS is trying to cheer him up

Peto cheer up Rob Hatch said you won the stage of the century.
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    DeadCalm said:

TGH seems like a proper geezer.

He is sound .
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I have to go out tomorrow morning and run a solo 'virtual' marathon in the rain and wind. When I get home I'll have a quick shower and then will no doubt have some jobs I have to do around the house. I haven't got any sympathy with the riders today.
  • mididoctors
    edited October 2020
    He fitted into the bcf development structure and followed good advice all his career . Talent in itself .
    Has his head on correct . Kier Appleby deserves credit mentoring him early on ...Kier gets stick for his "personality" at times but there's no denying his importance . Looking at the ages of cyclists coming through these days , who they come into contact with in their teens may be more important now than ever ...
  • salsiccia1
    Pross said:

I have to go out tomorrow morning and run a solo 'virtual' marathon in the rain and wind. When I get home I'll have a quick shower and then will no doubt have some jobs I have to do around the house. I haven't got any sympathy with the riders today.

Good for you, mate
  • mididoctors
    Campers splitting the group did dowsett bridge ?