Giro 2020 - Stage 19: Morbegno – Asti 253 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Oh, the humanity
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    davidof said:

Ineos and Bora want to ride the full 250km

not surprised sunweb dont.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    i dont know what position to take over this.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    and that would have been a single stage back in the day
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    edited October 2020

davidof said:

Ineos and Bora want to ride the full 250km

not surprised sunweb dont.
    Keldo Wilcoman is spent apparently.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • i dont know what position to take over this.

It's easy - sit on your sofa, in a nice warm house, and say they should put themselves through a horrible boring ride that no-one will want to watch, to possibly increase your entertainment tomorrow.

That's what I'm doing. There should be long stages, it's a GT.
  • mididoctors
    i think the weather was the main issue. really atrocious
  • I can't help but think people's views on this are being coloured by the fact Carlton is doing the Vuelta.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    I don’t have any strong feelings on the merits either. I assume both days will be faster than if the original route was used. It is late in the year and end of third week. Let us hope for good racing.
  • mididoctors

It's easy - sit on your sofa, in a nice warm house, and say they should put themselves through a horrible boring ride that no-one will want to watch, to possibly increase your entertainment tomorrow.

That's what I'm doing. There should be long stages, it's a GT.
    aesthetically I feel that argument
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I can't believe they are showing live coverage from the motos of the team buses. Haha!

This is all just because they had a hard day yesterday and don't want to get cold. You signed up to ride a race in the italian alps in late October, what did you expect!? There is no danger to the riders, I really can't understand it to be honest.

What a shambles.
  • salsiccia1

My take: I've no problem with it. All things being equal it wouldn't happen but all things aren't equal right now.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    New start time scheduled for 2.30 CET.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • I've actually just remembered the day after I rode the Stelvio, it was wet, cold, and miserable. We rode 131km, and at least one of us had to get in the minibus because they couldn't stop shaking with the cold. Hadn't realised till I just checked strava that I'd ridden up Madonna di Campiglio that day. All I remember about it is a restaurant.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

My take: I've no problem with it. All things being equal it wouldn't happen but all things aren't equal right now.
    I could understand it if the weather was colder as well as wet. If there's a risk of snow or ice or temperatures are dangerously high fair enough, not ideal but rider safety needs to be taken into account. Today just feels like riders are finding things a bit tough and want an easy day. If I was Ineos or Bahrain I'd be furious. It's just a shame the wind isn't a bit stronger so that the teams who want to race could make life hard work when they finally get going.
  • PCS saying 124.5km
  • craigus89
    Agree completely Pross.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited October 2020

PCS saying 124.5km

Apparently they still can't find a decent spot to start.

At this rate they won't have enough kms left for a decent time trial.
    This is a complete joke.
    RCS should withhold all stage prize money and 5% of the total purse.

(which is probably about 50p)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • craigus89
    Race organiser talking about getting lawyers involved. :D
  • The race is finally underway.
    It's grey and wet, but atrocious?
    Looks pretty much like a standard rainy day in the UK.

Even Bernie Eisel isn't impressed by the riders behaviour and he's still a rider rep apparently.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    I think the short notice of foisting this on the organisers is a valid complaint . But the idea they knew what was coming is kinda invalid too given the time of year covid protocols etc... Who made the decision ? The whole thing sounds confused
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228

The race is finally underway.
    It's grey and wet, but atrocious?
    Looks pretty much like a standard rainy day in the UK.

Even Bernie Eisel isn't impressed by the riders behaviour and he's still a rider rep apparently.

I’d agree with Bernie the stage length and it following the Stelvio has been known for over a year, that’s your time for discussion not the night before the stage.

And they’ve know the giro would be in October for a few months again perfect time to start a dialogue about the concerns. I’m willing to bet that most riders were banking on the Stelvio being impassable and didn’t expect it too be this hard.

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Some of the most incredible cycling has been undertaken in rotten weather. It's a fundamental part of the sport. Given the parcours, it would have taken them, what, five hours? Ffs.
  • craigus89
    edited October 2020
    And what has happened instead? They rolled out and got pretty wet, then dossed around in the rain getting more wet while they found their buses, sat on the bus in their uncomfortable damp kit while they found a spot to start. Saving what, an hour and a half or so?

It's not even raining now FFS!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466

I've actually just remembered the day after I rode the Stelvio, it was wet, cold, and miserable. We rode 131km, and at least one of us had to get in the minibus because they couldn't stop shaking with the cold. Hadn't realised till I just checked strava that I'd ridden up Madonna di Campiglio that day. All I remember about it is a restaurant.

The day after I did the stelvio I woke up with a fever... Then did mortirolo and gavia, partly in the rain.

250km at this stage is too much. But reducing it to 133km is piss weak.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    I am still in two minds .
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Interesting tactics from FDJ. Jersey beats a stage win. Didn't anticipate that.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    gsk82 said:

I've actually just remembered the day after I rode the Stelvio, it was wet, cold, and miserable. We rode 131km, and at least one of us had to get in the minibus because they couldn't stop shaking with the cold. Hadn't realised till I just checked strava that I'd ridden up Madonna di Campiglio that day. All I remember about it is a restaurant.

The day after I did the stelvio I woke up with a fever... Then did mortirolo and gavia, partly in the rain.

250km at this stage is too much. But reducing it to 133km is piss weak.
    Surely with the cost of modern cycling kit, it should be possible to ride in the rain for 5-6 hours without getting a fever?
  • salsiccia1
    edited October 2020
    I think mine is a dissenting voice but I do get it. I can see people's point about having enough time to complain before-hand but the circumstances right now are pretty unique. Riders do get ill in bad weather and such a long stage in poor conditions, after nearly three weeks this late in the season will leave them susceptible; and with COVID knocking around, and within the Giro itself I wouldn't want to be taken unnecessary chances.

And riders/teams might look at a parcours but not clock how hard that + transfers will be until they're on the spot.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Who thought a pancake flat 250km stage was a good idea in the first place?
    Twitter: @RichN95