Giro 2020 - Stage 19: Morbegno – Asti 253 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    No
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    Yes now I think (I'm only taking quick looks today).
  • Černý trying for a solo win today - currently more than half a minute ahead of the chasing four, well, five now that Keisse has joined them.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Did he not have quite a thoughtful blog at one point or an I thinking of someone else?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    Pross said:

I have to go out tomorrow morning and run a solo 'virtual' marathon in the rain and wind. When I get home I'll have a quick shower and then will no doubt have some jobs I have to do around the house. I haven't got any sympathy with the riders today.

Next you'll be telling us that you're not even being paid and have to fun it yourself.
  • This stage would be more interesting now if they were really tired after a long day's riding.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I have to go out tomorrow morning and run a solo 'virtual' marathon in the rain and wind. When I get home I'll have a quick shower and then will no doubt have some jobs I have to do around the house. I haven't got any sympathy with the riders today.

Next you'll be telling us that you're not even being paid and have to fun it yourself.
    It's a hardship I tell you but at least I'll get a finisher's medal. I might gone on strike on Sunday though.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited October 2020
    Pross said:

I’m fairly sure your livelihood doesn’t depend on your run and although I find diy taxing I’m pretty sure it doesn’t equal riding up a mountain a couple of times the day after. Then a time trial the day after that. But then again what do I know because your run and diy might just be the equivalent to that Giro.
  • mididoctors
    Well what a controversial little drama that was .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464

gsk82 said:

I've actually just remembered the day after I rode the Stelvio, it was wet, cold, and miserable. We rode 131km, and at least one of us had to get in the minibus because they couldn't stop shaking with the cold. Hadn't realised till I just checked strava that I'd ridden up Madonna di Campiglio that day. All I remember about it is a restaurant.

The day after I did the stelvio I woke up with a fever... Then did mortirolo and gavia, partly in the rain.

250km at this stage is too much. But reducing it to 133km is piss weak.
    I used to.ride laps of the stelvio for training when I lived in Italy . The last time I did it I had the plague and felt a bit rough so I cut it down to 3 instead of 5 laps
    That's still good going. Chateau!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    webboo said:

Pross said:

I’m fairly sure your livelihood doesn’t depend on your run and although I find diy taxing I’m pretty sure it doesn’t equal riding up a mountain a couple of times the day after. Then a time trial the day after that. But then again what do I know because your run and diy might just be the equivalent to that Giro.
    I didn't think I'd need to put a wink emoji on that post but it looks like I should have.

That said, most of these riders have two more days left in their season, they came to the race knowing what the stages were and I don't recall any teams complaining about the final week in advance even though it has been discussed as being incredibly difficult from when the route was announced and the curtailing of the Saturday stage had already made it slightly 'easier'. Also, some riders didn't want it reduced and it has potentially affected the racing for the GC - the ability to recover from tough days is a big part of winning a GT after all and some were looking in better shape than others.
  • mididoctors
    Hindley didn't react
  • Pross
    What happened at the end? I saw a replay of Tao looking like he'd tried getting a gap in the sprint from the peloton. I notice many of the riders did the whole stage in their winter training kit in the end.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    edited October 2020
    I'm fed up. It was really hard to organise this race. We did it for the fans despite covid. This strike came out of the blue. This isn't finished. It is intolerable. Well look at it after Milan and the responsible people will pay. I'm disillusioned with the teams. - Mauro (organisation)
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

webboo said:

Pross said:

I didn't think I'd need to put a wink emoji on that post but it looks like I should have.

That said, most of these riders have two more days left in their season, they came to the race knowing what the stages were and I don't recall any teams complaining about the final week in advance even though it has been discussed as being incredibly difficult from when the route was announced and the curtailing of the Saturday stage had already made it slightly 'easier'. Also, some riders didn't want it reduced and it has potentially affected the racing for the GC - the ability to recover from tough days is a big part of winning a GT after all and some were looking in better shape than others.
    It's new territory thou . Different season more demanding energy wise because of the colder weather etc .so it may not have entered people's mind till they were there ... Lot of factors .. I am.bit meh on it to be frank ... What did the forum think of the route back whenever ? I think someone did mention unwise long flat stages ..

At the end of the day the peloton just weren't up for it in the moment. I wonder what the split on that was ?
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

It's a hardship I tell you but at least I'll get a finisher's medal. I might gone on strike on Sunday though.
    If they can have a Grand Tour stage of 120kms on the flat.
    I don't see why you can't have a 10 mile marathon.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    edited October 2020
    Pross said:

What happened at the end? I saw a replay of Tao looking like he'd tried getting a gap in the sprint from the peloton. I notice many of the riders did the whole stage in their winter training kit in the end.

Ceny soloed the win ... Tao tried for a gap
  • mididoctors
    edited October 2020
    There was that mad 50 k road stage in the tour once ..not shortened .. Tarbes Pau down the main road iirc 80s
  • mididoctors
    davidof said:

I'm fed up. It was really hard to organise this race. We did it for the fans despite covid. This strike came out of the blue. This isn't finished. It is intolerable. Well look at it after Milan and the responsible people will pay. I'm disillusioned with the teams. - organisation

That's a quote ? Or you dave
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited October 2020
    davidof said:

I'm fed up. It was really hard to organise this race. We did it for the fans despite covid. This strike came out of the blue. This isn't finished. It is intolerable. Well look at it after Milan and the responsible people will pay. I'm disillusioned with the teams. - organisation

They probably should have ridden the full course. Sort of learn to pick your battles.

Glad CCC got that win with czerny.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    I don't think anyone needed another 130km of that though
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross

Pross said:

webboo said:

Pross said:

It's new territory thou . Different season more demanding energy wise because of the colder weather etc .so it may not have entered people's mind till they were there ... Lot of factors .. I am.bit meh on it to be frank ... What did the forum think of the route back whenever ? I think someone did mention unwise long flat stages ..

At the end of the day the peloton just weren't up for it in the moment. I wonder what the split on that was ?
    I'm disappointed as a spectator but appreciate that rider safety has to be taken into account. I've been saying for years that riders are put back onto their bike far too easily after a crash even though it has helped conjure up the images of the hardship and toughness of the sport over the years. However, as Hatch and Wiggins were saying it was an odd time to make a stand when there have been so many instances this season of race routes having genuine dangers for riders and they haven't stood their ground.

The main thing for me today is that the weather conditions weren't extreme (it could have been just as bad or worse in May and is far from the worst the Giro has thrown up even in recent years) so it was really only the stage length on top of a nasty stage yesterday. The aggravating factor was the reduction in tomorrow's stage having already been confirmed making it less of a platform for those wanting to try to take time before the TT so going into it after a 250km slog today could have been vital.

Another factor is whether it is a good look for a sport that desperately needs to attract sponsorship both for teams and races.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Pross said:

webboo said:

Pross said:

I'm disappointed as a spectator but appreciate that rider safety has to be taken into account. I've been saying for years that riders are put back onto their bike far too easily after a crash even though it has helped conjure up the images of the hardship and toughness of the sport over the years. However, as Hatch and Wiggins were saying it was an odd time to make a stand when there have been so many instances this season of race routes having genuine dangers for riders and they haven't stood their ground.

The main thing for me today is that the weather conditions weren't extreme (it could have been just as bad or worse in May and is far from the worst the Giro has thrown up even in recent years) so it was really only the stage length on top of a nasty stage yesterday. The aggravating factor was the reduction in tomorrow's stage having already been confirmed making it less of a platform for those wanting to try to take time before the TT so going into it after a 250km slog today could have been vital.

Another factor is whether it is a good look for a sport that desperately needs to attract sponsorship both for teams and races.
    I don't disagree with much of that tbh . But why did the riders strike ...must have been brewing ... The weather first thing was appalling no one could assume it was going to.clear up... What drove them to strike . It was a surprise .
  • Matti66
    RichN95. said:

Seconded. Nevertheless.
  • davidof

davidof said:

That's a quote ? Or you dave
    A quote but I'm on my phone. I've translated from what was said in Italian but my Italian is poor
    Instagramme
  • Matti66
    Thats what he said in the english language reports. Said it was an unexpected and unwelcome suprise.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited October 2020
    RichN95. said:

Depends.
    If Tao ends up losing this Giro by 5 seconds, I am guessing a few folks will be looking at this stage and pointing.

This is the first Giro stage I have not bothered to watch when able.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • davidof
    Hindley said Sunweb would put TGH to the sword tomorrow
    Instagramme
  • Matti66
    Trying to upset him?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    Does anyone think it would've been shortened if froome was there and at his prime?

This is a third rate race this year. Almost 3/4 cat
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago