Should Chris Froome swallow his pride and retire?

Comments

• I would be astonished if he finishes top 10 at the Tour from where he is now. He just doesn't look capable of staying with anyone when the going gets uphill
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    The way Pogacar is riding, I don't know if Froome wouldn't have aged out of beating him even without his injury.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Pog has said he had to target this race as it's the team's home game and they need to keep the sponsors happy.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Being super strong in February is not necessarily key to winning the Tour is it.

Not that I think Froome can - just that there's more of a risk that Pog might be coming in a bit hot a bit early. Except it's so early there is plenty of time to peak and rebuild by then.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036

I would be astonished if he finishes top 10 at the Tour from where he is now.

#metoo

He put 9 minutes into Cav on the Ventoux stage though.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    davidof said:

#metoo

davidof said:

#metoo

And 11 minutes on today's fake Queen stage.
    He was actually the third best ISN rider behind Dan Martin and Woods.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • davidof
    edited July 2021

And 11 minutes on today's fake Queen stage.
    He was actually the third best ISN rider behind Dan Martin and Woods.

so another year then?

He's lower than Omer Goldstein on the GC. I've not seen him at all on TV coverage, has he been doing domestic duties or just cruising along in the gruppetto ?

I'm thinking he's saving himself and doing some training miles for the Vuelta.

I don't blame him tbh, I would probably do about 50km of today's stage then take a rest day :-)

Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    He's been on screen most days at some point. Usually just riding along and looking quite happy or going out the back with the sprinters on the first serious climb of the day. He's the road captain but I'm not really sure what that will entail with ISN as there's not much involved in their tactics - try to get Martin and / or Woods in the break on mountain stages
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    A good interview with him here - https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/chris-froome-2022-tour-de-france-would-be-a-dream-scenario - sounds like he's finally overcome any lingering injury issues and we'll see how competitive he can be in the next few months.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Good luck to him, but unless things change dramatically, I don't see what he brings to a tour de france team (cycling wise).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

Good luck to him, but unless things change dramatically, I don't see what he brings to a tour de france team (cycling wise).

You could say the same for the rest of their team though. They'll be in it for the breakaways. I'm dubious that Woods & Fuglsang have a top ten in them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    edited April 2022
    ….
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
  • seanoconn

I don't see what he brings to a tour de france team (cycling wise).

Beauty, style, elegance?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    andyp said:

A good interview with him here - https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/chris-froome-2022-tour-de-france-would-be-a-dream-scenario - sounds like he's finally overcome any lingering injury issues and we'll see how competitive he can be in the next few months.

I'd be delighted to see him come back to somewhere approaching his best, or at least be able to target a few stage wins to recapture some of what he has achieved in the past - that would be a monster comeback if he could achieve it.

I was disappointed to see Pinot only just fail in his attempt to win a stage at the tour of the alps recently - similar really, was hoping he could show form he had displayed previously.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    RichN95. said:

You could say the same for the rest of their team though. They'll be in it for the breakaways. I'm dubious that Woods & Fuglsang have a top ten in them.
    Woods at least has a potential stage win in him. So would Nizzolo (if he went). Mads Wurz Schmidt if he got in the right breakaway on the right day. I don't see how Froome helps any of them.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited April 2022

Woods at least has a potential stage win in him. So would Nizzolo (if he went). Mads Wurz Schmidt if he got in the right breakaway on the right day. I don't see how Froome helps any of them.

But my point was that I don't think any of the others helps either. At least Froome brings publicity and the possibility of improvement. If Israel were on the Netflix show he'd definitely be in.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I think he is finished. In 2020 I thought maybe he could come back and still be decent, but at 37 he is too old now as a credible stage rider and realistically he can’t do anything else… waste of space IMO
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    The boring answer is if his numbers justify it pick him.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    25'54 down today.
  • kingstongraham
    Can't really leave either of the Danes out.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    What a shitty way to end such a great career. 🙁
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • davidof

25'54 down today.

That was quite a long way down, 84th place. Goldstein beat him again !
    Instagramme
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

I think he is finished. In 2020 I thought maybe he could come back and still be decent, but at 37 he is too old now as a credible stage rider and realistically he can’t do anything else… waste of space IMO

You'd fancy your chances then.... Ugo, Dog, Brad?
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

A bit harsh. Does the same apply to us amateurs when we’re racing and get repeatedly shelled out the back or come last on a hill climb. I guess we’re all waste of space too?

Froome is one rider for which racing is truly in his blood. Even being back of the pack probably gives him some enjoyment because he’s out there racing. If he has been smart enough to secure a contract then hats off to him.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    m.r.m. said:

What a shitty way to end such a great career. 🙁

wavefront said:

A bit harsh. Does the same apply to us amateurs when we’re racing and get repeatedly shelled out the back or come last on a hill climb. I guess we’re all waste of space too?

Froome is one rider for which racing is truly in his blood. Even being back of the pack probably gives him some enjoyment because he’s out there racing. If he has been smart enough to secure a contract then hats off to him.

I never actually finished last, but no, there are rankings and I only get into a race if I am better than the guy who doesn’t get a spot, it’s all very fair, really. I think Froome at this point is not fit for the PRO peloton and it’s hard to see this changing. That said, if someone is happy to give him a shot, then good on him… probably some youngster would deserve it better though

left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    edited April 2022

... That said, if someone is happy to give him a shot, then good on him… probably some youngster would deserve it better though

This. Except pro cycling is a business and Chris attracts much, much more attention than a youngster.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I guess his team took a bit of a punt he'd get back to a decent level - no doubt the publicity he generates is big part of him getting that contract but they must have been hoping for a lot more.

If he gets a Tour spot on the basis of who he used to be I wonder how that affects team unity - if he doesn't get a spot then it's pretty much accepting signing him was a mistake.

I'd like to see him there though even if he is off the pace.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    Given they took him last year, and they'll certainly take their newly signed Danish rider, I don't see why they wouldn't take him. It's nice for there to be like a sunset retirement home for them.