Giro 2020 - Stage 7: Matera – Brindisi 143 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Nope.
    Blows my PTP selection.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeadCalm said:

Its not going to happen, is it?

Crosswind fail.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228

I wonder what could have caused the crash?

The inability to see a fucking massive arch on a dead straight bit of road?
  • neonriver said:

The inability to see a censored massive arch on a dead straight bit of road?
    My thoughts exactly. It's not hidden from view.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    edited October 2020
    neonriver said:

You are missing the point.
    Looking for reasons to blame admin for anything that happens in the peloton is
    de rigueur.
    Eurosport were straight in there with the blame.

Oh and in the meantime, Demare 1st, Viviani 10th. How the mighty have fallen, in what turned out to be a most disappointing stage.
  • Very straightforward for Demare - head and shoulders above the rest.
  • neonriver said:

de rigueur.

Didn't know that - I saw it on S4C.

They maybe should have put more high viz on it.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    Pross said:

Boo front 2 groups and most GC contenders back together and eased up. I think it went a bit too early and with too small a front group but I'm sure it will kick off again later. There's going to be some tired riders by then too.

Do you mean it went without Ganna?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    sagan is going well but not well enough
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,453
    gsk82 said:

Pross said:

Boo front 2 groups and most GC contenders back together and eased up. I think it went a bit too early and with too small a front group but I'm sure it will kick off again later. There's going to be some tired riders by then too.

Do you mean it went without Ganna?
    Just too soon really, there weren't enough in the front group to drive it along for virtually the whole stage when so many key players missed out. They'd have probably been better keeping their powder dry until after the sprints.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,453

neonriver said:

de rigueur.

Oh and in the meantime, Demare 1st, Viviani 10th. How the mighty have fallen, in what turned out to be a most disappointing stage.
    Did Viviani resort to smacking his handlebars as though he'd been a little bit unlucky like whenever he got beaten in his early career?
  • Was it Ballerini leading Demare out? Was that supposed to be for Hodeg, or just an early sprint?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    edited October 2020
    Pinot's 29th place at the Tour looks ever more costly for Groupama
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Average speed today 51.23 kmh
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    Criminally short stage for a GT
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722

Thought you liked short aggressive stages?
    My memory may be letting me down, I can't remember. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Criminally short stage for a GT

The last two stages were originally supposed to be one, but when Hungary fell through, this was the stop gap.

Don't worry, there are three 200km mountain stages in the last week for that old school feel.
  • RichN95.
    pblakeney said:

Thought you liked short aggressive stages?
    My memory may be letting me down, I can't remember. 😉

Rick only likes short stages if they follow three 300km stages
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540

The last two stages were originally supposed to be one, but when Hungary fell through, this was the stop gap.

Don't worry, there are three 200km mountain stages in the last week for that old school feel.
    Fair, fair
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Brindisi, where inter railers used to spend the day waiting for the ferry to Corfu and the rest of Greece.....

Is inter rail still a thing ?
    Obviously not in 2020, but I think it had been making a bit of a come back over the last few years having faded away over the previous 10-15 years.
    I did it in 2010. It was really great.

I've done a few legs again since with nicer trains and hotels, really a good way to see a place (although not as good as bike touring IMO!)
  • Tony Gallopin suffered a left wrist fracture, finished 21 minutes down and dead last and will not start on Saturday.
    Edoardo Affini looks like he will be out of the race with a broken bone in his hand.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    Gaviria's looking second rate. What gives?
  • Tony Gallopin suffered a left wrist fracture, finished 21 minutes down and dead last and will not start on Saturday.
    Edoardo Affini looks like he will be out of the race with a broken bone in his hand.

👎
  • RichN95. said:

Haha. Better than Thomas's dnf from a neutral zone 😁😁😁
  • Great riding from FdJ
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020

RichN95. said:

So do you genuinely think leaving the best sprinter this year at home for the Tour in the French Champion's jersey was worth it for fully backing a rider who once got on the podium and had since got two GT top tens in eight attempts and five DNFs

The sooner French cycling realises at Pinot is not a great talent denied, but is actually a poor man's Rafa Majka the better. It should instead embrace Demare's genuine A-list talent.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    edited October 2020

Tony Gallopin suffered a left wrist fracture, finished 21 minutes down and dead last and will not start on Saturday.

The backstage pass also has Howson with a broken hand.

Edit: they've confirmed Affini is out, needs surgery on his hand.
  • RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

So do you genuinely think leaving the best sprinter this year at home for the Tour in the French Champion's jersey was worth it for fully backing a rider who once got on the podium and had since got two GT top tens in eight attempts and five DNFs

The sooner French cycling realises at Pinot is not a great talent denied, but is actually a poor man's Rafa Majka the better. It should instead embrace Demare's genuine A-list talent.
    The championship was the weekend before the Tour. IE post selection Pinot beat Pogacar at the Dauphine and was fourth at Occitaine Pinot had Gaudu Mollard and Reichembach Pinot crashed on stage 1 and damaged his lower back. Pinot finished the tour -keep up. Have you ever thought of being a DS?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

The championship was the weekend before the Tour. IE post selection Pinot beat Pogacar at the Dauphine and was fourth at Occitaine Pinot had Gaudu Mollard and Reichembach Pinot crashed on stage 1 and damaged his lower back. Pinot finished the tour -keep up. Have you ever thought of being a DS?
    4th at Occitane sounds about Pinot's level, yeah.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    I know enough about DS-ing to know that someone who can't podium at the Route d'Occitane ain't gonna trouble the top step of The Tour....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver