Giro 2020 - Stage 7: Matera – Brindisi 143 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Earlier than I'd hoped! Nibali up front. This could be a race defining day and what would have looked like the easiest stage of the race on paper. Typically I'm overloaded with work and whilst I have it on in the background I can't watch.
  • Well, I said it was a forlorn break. Already caught.
    This is going to be a whole stage effort.
    Brilliant!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Kruijswijk and Kelderman in the front group too. Demare and possibly Viviani for the sprinters.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Ineos totally missed the split. Luke Rowe would never have allowed that.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • The second group has now split into pieces
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    So the "crazy" one day/GC Italian rider and the Dutch make the front echelon.

This is a real life cliche!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    DeadCalm said:

Why make the effort? They won't win the stage or be up there on GC. Might as well have a day off.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Second group is larger so may get back. Fuglsang showing as around a minute back the last I saw. The whole DQS team made the front group.
  • DeadCalm
    gsk82 said:

DeadCalm said:

Why make the effort? They won't win the stage or be up there on GC. Might as well have a day off.
    They are doing most of the work at the front of group 2. They clearly wanted to be in the front group.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    Only 19 seconds?
    Team My Man 2022:

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    only 20 secs or so
    cars stuck in the gap
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    DeadCalm said:

gsk82 said:

DeadCalm said:

They are doing most of the work at the front of group 2. They clearly wanted to be in the front group.
    Help out Fulsang today, get a free pass later?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • If Ineos are striking some kind of deal it's put Yates right into trouble - stuck in a group a further minute back.
  • Both Yates and Pozzovivo pulling at the front of their group so it's costing them big time.

G2 closing down on G1
  • Pross
    Boo front 2 groups and most GC contenders back together and eased up. I think it went a bit too early and with too small a front group but I'm sure it will kick off again later. There's going to be some tired riders by then too.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    just tuned in. what happened there on a day where splits were forecast?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    4 Ineos in the front group now for those who are counting
  • This stage is going to be less than three hours of flat out effort.
    The last 50kms are far more prone to splits than the first.

If Yates's group does get back, it's only going to be temporary.
  • Pross
    All back together, quick breather and time for it to be done all over again with a new set of winners and losers.
  • Pross
    Autobus of around 60 riders still a minute or so down but no-one important. Yates not learning and content to sit on the back having regained the front group. He needs to be right at the front.
  • Fuglsang's day not getting any better as he gets to taste Taranto tarmac.
  • Zakarin returns! :D
  • Huge crash!
  • mididoctors
    No one taking advantage
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo thinking about trying to split it again
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    "Demare is the favourite bar none. I'm going for Gaviria."
    🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    Fast day
  • I wonder what could have caused the crash?

• mididoctors
    DQS Trying
  • DeadCalm
    Its not going to happen, is it?
    Team My Man 2022: