In the Pink - The Pre Giro Warm Up Thread. News, Views and General Info.

1235»

Comments

• I don't think anyone's mentioned S4C on this thread - they're also doing live coverage every day at 1pm (in Welsh obviously*). Unless you're stuck with Freeview, you don't even have to be in Wales to watch their content.

G will be the big draw for their audience, but even without him they also covered it last year.

[* Well, they did for the 2018 Tour IIRC]

Welsh commentary sounds like a better option than Kirby.

You can also get S4C on iPlayer
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You mean Carlton isn’t commentating in Welsh. Well I never.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited October 2020
    webboo said:

You mean Carlton isn’t commentating in Welsh. Well I never.

This week he's been like he's had a canister of laughing gas attached to his microphone.
    He's hardly managed a complete sentence without bursting into a giggling fit.
    Mind you, it's good that even he thinks he's a running joke.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Is it Magnus Backstedt who has been co-commentating this week on Binckbank? Been several occasions he has called out CK and/or just left him wriggling. Respec' Maggy.
  • Yeah, "Mags" has done it on a couple of occasions when Kirby has got it completely wrong.

Now I know the BinckBank Tour isn't exactly the most thrilling race at times, but at least talk about the racing from time to time.

I did an experiment the other day and flicked over to the French commentary, then rewound and listened to CK. While the French were talking about the racing, Carlton was explaining about animals being used in barns to dry wheat in the rafters above.

Sums the oaf up, and shows what he's good for (and that ain't commentating on bike races)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Seems like an appropriate place to put this:

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    DeadCalm said:

All teams finally confirmed barring last minute issues.

http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=Mjk4MDc=

It looks a very weak field below the obvious suspects. Cycling News have even resorted to including Zakarin in their list of 10 riders to watch for GC. It's that weak. FWIW, I'd rate the favourites:

***** Thomas
    *** Fuglsang, Kruiswijk
    ** Vlasov, Nibali, Yates
    * Lopez

Astana look to have by far the strongest team but not the strongest rider. If they try and dominate in a Team Sky / J-V style,, that will play into Thomas's hands so they need to attack him. It hopefully should lead to some entertaining racing.

Edited to include the overlooked Yates.

Revised after the first stage.

***** Thomas
    ** Yates, Almeida
    * Someone else

Yates, Almeida and someone else are only there in case Thomas crashes.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    UCI not impressed by the Mighty Ducks...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    They should be disqualified.

How long has Kangert been at EF?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    Last season and this one apparently. I'd have sworn blind he'd only been there this season. He's off to Mitchelton-Scott for next season.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Vaughters has been around the sport long enough to know the regs around registering kit. His team's fault entirely, so he should shut up and look closer to home for where to lay the blame for the fine.
  • bobmcstuff

Vaughters has been around the sport long enough to know the regs around registering kit. His team's fault entirely, so he should shut up and look closer to home for where to lay the blame for the fine.

He says he did register it and the UCI says he didn't. He says the UCI forgot. That does sound quite plausible to me.
  • ddraver
    edited October 2020

(Don't imagine the Alpi and much different this weekend. It's only shallow tho)
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,473

All part of the marketing. Small price to play for more publicity.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Pross said:

All part of the marketing. Small price to play for more publicity.
    Yes, sales of duck face helmets have gone through the roof...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm said:

Thomas must be looking at that start list like your the only E in a E 1 2

He's in good form and the field is a bit slim. Fuglsang and Kruijswijk the biggest threats I guess.
    I'd have Vlasov as the bigger threat from Astana. Yates should make a showing too. But, looking at the startlist as it stands at the moment, Thomas should comfortably win it barring calamities.

Edit: Given it seems to be a year for the youngsters and UAE seem to be on a bit of a roll at the moment, I wouldn't be too surprised if Brandon McNulty managed a decent (top 6) finish.
    The first paragraph of my post hasn't aged well.

With regard to the second, given that McNulty was abandoned by more than half of the team to chase potatoes on Viviani's behalf, I'm not holding out huge amounts of hope either.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • bobmcstuff
    DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

He's in good form and the field is a bit slim. Fuglsang and Kruijswijk the biggest threats I guess.
    I'd have Vlasov as the bigger threat from Astana. Yates should make a showing too. But, looking at the startlist as it stands at the moment, Thomas should comfortably win it barring calamities.

Edit: Given it seems to be a year for the youngsters and UAE seem to be on a bit of a roll at the moment, I wouldn't be too surprised if Brandon McNulty managed a decent (top 6) finish.

With regard to the second, given that McNulty was abandoned by more than half of the team to chase potatoes on Viviani's behalf, I'm not holding out huge amounts of hope either.
    Well you did specifically say "barring any calamities"...
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

Well you did specifically say "barring any calamities"...
    Yes, but I bigged up Yates and Vlasov too, both of whom were also out of the running by the end of stage 3.
    Team My Man 2022:

• ddraver
    Some of these👌

Jumbo & NTT in particular for me
    - @ddraver
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    The big jessies swerved il muro! I had a great time, although a misunderstanding between me and my pal meant I had no cleats so had to drive rather than ride. Didn't think twice about abandoning a new Cinquecento hire car for 3 hours, would not have been able to leave a 2k road bike that long!

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,729
    edited October 2020
    Not so much the Canyon one, but I think Vans could do a better job than Palace if they wished. As a wearer since 1979. Quite liked the Brooks shoes.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    Oh that scored high for me...
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    ddraver said:

Some of these👌

Jumbo & NTT in particular for me
    Same here. I like Groupama x Hilfiger as well. Is really clean and reminds me of IAM Cycling.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    Yeah that Groupama one looks good. Don't really like the Jumbo one.

I quite like that Zabu Prada one... Bora one would be a good regular jersey (without the stuff on the front).