In the Pink - The Pre Giro Warm Up Thread. News, Views and General Info.

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Depends how fresh Castroviejo is I'd have thought, but then he quit the Tour early I think? You'd think there was a team time trial in the race though with the amount of TT talent they've stacked in the team. 4 riders who have been in the top 4 in the Worlds TT, including the two most recent winners.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    edited September 2020
    gsk82 said:

jam1e said:

There's only really TGH who you'd hope to be climbing in a select group but Puccio, Castroviejo and Navarez will no doubt be doing the lion's share on the low-mid slopes. Particularly if Dennis & Ganna are there to control things on the flats.

As much as I like Ben Swift (former "my man") I think a better lightweight climber would have been a better shot, maybe Dunbar.

Edit - if there's any potential crosswind stages that team looks very capable?

Dunbar broke his collarbone at Tirreno-Adriatico, otherwise he'd be there.

Castraviejo should go well with the lower overall standard at the giro.
    Totally missed that!
  • To be honest, I'd forgotten Yates was riding. I think Thomas has the edge when the TTs are included, but that's the same with Fuglsang.

Nibali had a terrible Adriatico, was that form or bad luck?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730

To be honest, I'd forgotten Yates was riding. I think Thomas has the edge when the TTs are included, but that's the same with Fuglsang.

Had a bad lockdown apparently, so unlikely bad luck.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Looking at the provisional startlist on PCS, no team seems to have a particularly strong climbing presence except for Astana who have Fuglsang, Vlasov, Lopez and Rodríguez plus Feline for the lower slopes. It could make for an exciting race.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

To be honest, I'd forgotten Yates was riding. I think Thomas has the edge when the TTs are included, but that's the same with Fuglsang.

He traditionally needs a second rest day to find his form.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    phreak said:

I'd have thought the key is just how many of the mountains they actually manage to squeeze in. Yates needs the race to get over the Stelvio et al to really have a chance, and with those climbs being ridden in mid-October, I can just see re-routes all over the place and those three time trials being decisive as a result.

Maybe when the organisers had to re-schedule the Giro, they considered it could turn out that some Alpine stages may not be possible in full as planned, and that is why they introduced the MTF in stage 9 ??
    The originally-planned stage thereabouts was going to be 212 kms, over half of it dead flat, and with 4 small categorised climbs. Now there are two stages in the area, totalling 385 kms, the first of which has 3 harder categorised climbs plus the MTF, while the second has 4 small categorised climbs.

Even if the Stelvio and Agnel stages need re-routing, provided the snow level and closed roads isn't down to around 2000 m elevation, the stages can still remain mountainous and decisive – e.g. stage 18 over the Tonale and the Mortirolo, stage 20, instead of Agnel, over the Larche and the Vars.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    jimmyjams said:

phreak said:

I'd have thought the key is just how many of the mountains they actually manage to squeeze in. Yates needs the race to get over the Stelvio et al to really have a chance, and with those climbs being ridden in mid-October, I can just see re-routes all over the place and those three time trials being decisive as a result.

Maybe when the organisers had to re-schedule the Giro, they considered it could turn out that some Alpine stages may not be possible in full as planned, and that is why they introduced the MTF in stage 9 ??
    The originally-planned stage thereabouts was going to be 212 kms, over half of it dead flat, and with 4 small categorised climbs. Now there are two stages in the area, totalling 385 kms, the first of which has 3 harder categorised climbs plus the MTF, while the second has 4 small categorised climbs.

Even if the Stelvio and Agnel stages need re-routing, provided the snow level and closed roads isn't down to around 2000 m elevation, the stages can still remain mountainous and decisive – e.g. stage 18 over the Tonale and the Mortirolo, stage 20, instead of Agnel, over the Larche and the Vars.
    I feel stupid asking but what is MTF? I'm still hoping to go to those two stages, just waiting to see what the UK Govt announces in terms of quarantine today or tomorrow. Rumours are they are putting Italy on the list, which seems beyond comprehension to me given how the Italians have dealt with the virus after the initial wave.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Mountain Top Finish
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,814
    edited October 2020
    This is new.
    The Giro have what they call a TV roadbook, that can be read at source or shared simply by copying the link. Basically it's the standard roadbook in English, although the text they picked is tough to read.
    214 pages of race info.

https://issuu.com/giroditalia2020/docs/roadbook_interni_engl_bassa
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Oh dear god. The Carabinieri need to raid EF's premises immediately

Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    What is that?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • This is what happens when you're owned by ASDA.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    They're not actually going to race in that, are they?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

It's a visual representation of a 47 year old having a mid-life crisis.
  • ddraver
    whats Duck Palace...?
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

whats Duck Palace...?

It's where Scrooge McDuck lives
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

whats Duck Palace...?

It's where Scrooge McDuck lives

Although didn't an MP claim on expenses for a duck palace when there was a scandal about this sort of thing?

Edit: It was Peter Viggers. Here it is:

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Anything that makes the traditionalists foam at the mouth has got to be good; tradition is all well and good - but it's like a noose around road racings neck....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,790
    edited October 2020
    ddraver said:

whats Duck Palace...?

You could say unconventional non-conformists.
    Unconventional in that they know how to rake it in at the same time.
    https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/palace-skateboards-guide/
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andyrac said:

Anything that makes the traditionalists foam at the mouth has got to be good; tradition is all well and good - but it's like a noose around road racings neck....

Spot on. It’s job done for Rapha. Well played once again.

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 465
    Whatever happened to the Argyle Armada? Used to love their kits in the Garmin days
  • RichN95.
    Apparently this is their TT helmet. Nothing boosts performance like making your riders a laughing stock.

• ddraver
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

whats Duck Palace...?

Ok, so... I'm old now

So that explains what Palace is, but I still don't get the duck bit
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    Oh I saw that Palace x Rapha collab on Instagram. Wondered what was going on - it didn't have any pictures of the jersey.

Not really sure how a middle class cycling attire company and a skateboarding company match up but what do I know.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GFIXrybfKg

I don't know and I don't care, but this is when Jaws did the 25 at Lyon!
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

whats Duck Palace...?

Ok, so... I'm old now

So that explains what Palace is, but I still don't get the duck bit
    It's a logo used by Palace

• ddraver
    edited October 2020

I don't know and I don't care, but this is when Jaws did the 25 at Lyon!

First scene is not entirely unlike how I did my knee...

I wasn't quite 25 steps high tho

(I thought Jaws was a shark...)

- @ddraver