In the Pink - The Pre Giro Warm Up Thread. News, Views and General Info.

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    ddraver said:

I don't know and I don't care, but this is when Jaws did the 25 at Lyon!

First scene is not entirely unlike how I did my knee...

I wasn't quite 25 steps high tho

(I thought Jaws was a shark...)

Ouch!
  • Not really sure how a middle class cycling attire company and a skateboarding company match up but what do I know.

They’re far from the brand they were a decade ago. They move on, break new ground, adapt. Motram isn’t daft, and Rapha in the Far East and the US is a different beast. I have no doubt this stuff will be sold out within hours of going on sale on Monday.

As I said before, today everyone is talking about Rapha, EF and over where the cool folk live...Palace. They’ve nailed it.

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

Not really sure how a middle class cycling attire company and a skateboarding company match up but what do I know.

They’re far from the brand they were a decade ago. They move on, break new ground, adapt. Motram isn’t daft, and Rapha in the Far East and the US is a different beast. I have no doubt this stuff will be sold out within hours of going on sale on Monday.

As I said before, today everyone is talking about Rapha, EF and over where the cool folk live...Palace. They’ve nailed it.

This is a business that's losing money hand over fist, in case you didn't know.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited October 2020

It's a logo used by Palace

Ok, got it.

I was thrown by its similarity with Donald and also Vaughters' tweets about The Mighty Ducks

Quack.....Quack....Quack...Quack..Quack.QuackQuackQuackQuackQuack...etc
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Ah now...

Is it because, post-Tour/Jumbo, the Giro has said they can't use pink?
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Not really sure how a middle class cycling attire company and a skateboarding company match up but what do I know.

I might actually buy some of it if it's a bit more muted than the team jersey.

According to that BR article "Palace Skateboards teams up with Rapha and Cannondale for 2020’s most millennial collab" - I am pretty millenial...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I can’t wait to hear what Carlton has to say.
  • bobmcstuff
    gsk82 said:

This is a business that's losing money hand over fist, in case you didn't know.
    Scaling, blah blah, private equity, blah blah, unicorn, blah blah...

I don't really think they are that far from where they were a decade ago. All that's changed is the generation of people in the bracket they're selling to has changed.

I'm 32 - smack bang in the middle of the "millennial" generation by most definitions - when I was 22 there was no way in hell I would pay Rapha prices for cycling gear.
  • ddraver
    webboo said:

🔊🔊*THEY'VE GOT DUCKS ON THEIR JERSEYS AND THEY RE QUACKING UP HERE SEAN!!*🔊🔊

(I hate myself)
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    webboo said:

I think commentators will welcome an easy to spot jersey.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    edited October 2020
    ddraver said:

webboo said:

🔊🔊*THEY'VE GOT DUCKS ON THEIR JERSEYS AND THEY RE QUACKING UP HERE SEAN!!*🔊🔊

(I hate myself)
    Carlton, is that you behind a pseudonym?
  • ddraver
    How DARE you!!!

Blocked!
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Ha! You seem to have his commentary style down pat.
  • ddraver
    Makes more sense with the right quote. I'll unblock you now...

;)
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    The Palace Cannondales actually look really nice, IMO
  • Not really sure how a middle class cycling attire company and a skateboarding company match up but what do I know.

I might actually buy some of it if it's a bit more muted than the team jersey.

According to that BR article "Palace Skateboards teams up with Rapha and Cannondale for 2020’s most millennial collab" - I am pretty millenial...
    I’d definitely buy the Colombian National jersey. It looks great!

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Liking the jersey/bike combo...looks stunning in Italy, not so great elsewhere!
    Half man, Half bike
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    And here I was thinking Vaughters was justifiably calling out Quinn Simmons for being racist with the old "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..."

Instead it was this piece of cancer for the eyes.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    m.r.m. said:

And here I was thinking Vaughters was justifiably calling out Quinn Simmons for being racist with the old "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..."

I'm claiming plagiarism...
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    I don't get it. Did I unwittingly steal your line?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,436
    ddraver said:

Ah now...

That's why I'd don't mind it, there were plenty people moaning about Jumbo during tour as the Yellow was very difficult to spot... there will only be one pink jersey surely that's a good thing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

ddraver said:

Ah now...

That's why I'd don't mind it, there were plenty people moaning about Jumbo during tour as the Yellow was very difficult to spot... there will only be one pink jersey surely that's a good thing.
    This should be a rule.
    Fairly certain it used to be, if only unwritten.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932
    ONCE alway used to change from their yellow jerseys to wear pink ones at the Tour.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    I prefer this to the pink tie-dye... it's so outrageously horrendous it's kinda cool.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Anyone know what the back of that jersey looks like?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    flite said:

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited October 2020
    It looks so filthy it may even work.

Edit: Regardless of how you think it looks, it does appear like the only jersey that has been properly designed, aside from the awesome WMN/Canyon one.

All the others are pretty bland and plain coloured, athough thinking about it, that's probably to improve visibility for sponsors.
  • flite said:

Here you go @flite
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    I’m not sure it’s so anti traditionalist. I get vibes of the old Z jersey from it, and Nick Craig had the duck helmet in the 90’s.
    I don’t like it as it’s so messy, but hey, good PR and well executed.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    I wish I hadn't asked!