Spring (autumn) classics *spoilers*

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Like I say, other than the consequences I don't see a difference.

It's just unfortunate that there was a front wheel near Ackerman's back one, and there wasn't a front wheel near Sagan's

Isn't the relevant bit that there wasn't a front wheel near Sagan's back wheel? It's not like he made someone brake, veer or even stop pedalling.

It's not a case of judging the consequences.
    Yet that's what you seem to be doing.
    Not at all.

I'm judging the degree of risk. The consequences in these cases follow from the risk the riders took.

In other words the consequences of Sagan's move - no crash - are because it wasnt a high risk move as the space was there to make it.

The consequences of Ackerman's move - a crash - are because there was a front wheel overlapping his back wheel.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Like I say, other than the consequences I don't see a difference.

It's just unfortunate that there was a front wheel near Ackerman's back one, and there wasn't a front wheel near Sagan's

Isn't the relevant bit that there wasn't a front wheel near Sagan's back wheel? It's not like he made someone brake, veer or even stop pedalling.

It's not a case of judging the consequences.
    Yet that's what you seem to be doing.
    Not at all.

I'm judging the degree of risk. The consequences in these cases follow from the risk the riders took.

In other words the consequences of Sagan's move - no crash - are because it wasnt a high risk move as the space was there to make it.

The consequences of Ackerman's move - a crash - are because there was a front wheel overlapping his back wheel.

The point that other folks have already made and you seem to be conveniently ignoring, is that Sagan didn't look behind either, so he was no more aware as to what space he had, than Ackermann.
    Therefore you are judging from the respective consequences.

https://www.velonews.com/news/video-giro-ditalia-stage-11-highlights/

His initial swerve took Hodeg's racing line, too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    edited October 2020

Lots of riders move line without looking behind them in that sprint. Sagan has a fair gap when he makes that move - yes it's a pretty big deviation but the gap is there.

You are second guessing that he is unaware of that as would be any disciplinary panel.

He doesn't take anyone's racing line - nobody has their sprint impeded - I can't remember a DQ where everybody gets a clean sprint. Nobody seems to protest and the commissaires see nothing wrong with it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Cafés and restaurants closed all over Belgium for four weeks but only starting Monday. Interesting timing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    nickice said:

Cafés and restaurants closed all over Belgium for four weeks but only starting Monday. Interesting timing.

Every new set of measures in Britain has started on Monday, hasn't it
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nickice
    When they closed the bars and restaurants in Brussels, they told them on the Tuesday they'd be closing on Thursday.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    edited October 2020
    Right, well taking that as a positive, I think it's time for the race info........But I don't have it because it's a closely guarded secret. From their website:

On Sunday 18 October, the Tour of Flanders is on the programme. Given the current health situation in Belgium, we as organisation call on you to follow the race at home. It was therefore decided not to release any information about the course.

Anyhow, it will look something like this.

And we are really only interested in these three bergs.

* * * * * van Aert, van der Poel, Bettiol
    * * * * Pedersen, Asgreen
    * * * Andersen, Lampaert, Alaphilippe, Kristoff
    * * Sénéchal, Stuyven, Benoot, Politt, Trentin, Küng, Degenkolb,
    * Vanmarcke, Rowe, Teuns
  • RichN95. said:

nickice said:

Every new set of measures in Britain has started on Monday, hasn't it
    We went into tier 2 on Wednesday in the North West. The Dutch restrictions tightened midweek during the BinckBank Tour
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

FdJ putting rocket boosters up riders asses is surely a more egregious infraction no?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    ddraver said:

FdJ putting rocket boosters up riders asses is surely a more egregious infraction no?
    I think it's Gaviria with the bottom mounted rocket pack. The FdJ lead out man has gone for the more advanced Stark Industries Arc Reactor
  • nickice
    I really can't see how Belgium can justify the closures on Monday while holding the Tour of Flanders on Sunday though. Politically, I Ithink it can't go ahead though I hope it does.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    The Ronde will run come hell or high water.........
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    nickice said:

I really can't see how Belgium can justify the closures on Monday while holding the Tour of Flanders on Sunday though. Politically, I Ithink it can't go ahead though I hope it does.

Politically is most likely the reason it's going ahead. The morale of the people is important. Cancelling a huge national event would be damaging. This why things like the Giro need to keep going. Sports people are low risk and they are providing entertainment for people who have had very little in the last six months.
  • nickice
    I hope so but if you're a bar owner in Wallonia (not a big cycling region) you might be a little annoyed
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    They had their fun...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329

Right, well taking that as a positive, I think it's time for the race info........But I don't have it because it's a closely guarded secret. From their website:

On Sunday 18 October, the Tour of Flanders is on the programme. Given the current health situation in Belgium, we as organisation call on you to follow the race at home. It was therefore decided not to release any information about the course.

* Vanmarcke, Rowe, Teuns

Wait, what? In 2020's latest kick in the nuts The Ronde doesn't get its own spoiler thread? :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020

Wait, what? In 2020's latest kick in the nuts The Ronde doesn't get its own spoiler thread? :(

There's no block to starting a thread. Who is the most bullish to start one? The Van Aert fan boys or the Van der Poel fanboys. It's got to be one of the two.
    No-one thinks anyone else can win. Although maybe if the weather is bad then a further northern European could win. Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Poland, Estonia, one of them

But without a thread it's just one of the Vans.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited October 2020

* Vanmarcke, Rowe, Teuns

Not from me it's not.
    I am juggling two GTs and countless fantasy teams atm.
    Besides, Rick will tell you it's about 10 kms short of being a puckka monument.

As Rich says, there's always a chance one of the Van Fans will crack.
  • nickice
    RichN95. said:

nickice said:

Politically is most likely the reason it's going ahead. The morale of the people is important. Cancelling a huge national event would be damaging. This why things like the Giro need to keep going. Sports people are low risk and they are providing entertainment for people who have had very little in the last six months.
    I don't disagree but since they've decided to close cafés and restaurants I'm not so sure that half the population will be happy about that. It's not that important in Wallonia.

The whole 'not releasing the route thing' will not work. Anyone who can't take a good guess at 95% of the important parts of the route hasn't been trying hard enough.

I'm not heading over now anyway. They're begging people not to come so I'm not going to be a d1ck
  • nickice
    And I'm guessing they won't have big screens on the Kwaremont so I'd end up watching most of the race in my phone.
  • nickice
    Anyway, they obviously knew they could get away with cancelling Paris-Roubaix as Belgians don't vote in French elections.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Thread created by a van fan.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95. said:

There's no block to starting a thread. Who is the most bullish to start one? The Van Aert fan boys or the Van der Poel fanboys. It's got to be one of the two.
    No-one thinks anyone else can win. Although maybe if the weather is bad then a further northern European could win. Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Poland, Estonia, one of them

But without a thread it's just one of the Vans.
    I used to start the occasional spoiler thread, but I've become intimidated by the quality of Blazing's work, and now sit passively being spoon fed profiles and cuisine guides.

The absence of Denmark in your list of Northern European countries with a chance of a win has been duly noted. You'll be hearing from my lawyers.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

* Vanmarcke, Rowe, Teuns

Not from me it's not.

I have no idea how you manage, but it's appreciated!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

* Vanmarcke, Rowe, Teuns

Not from me it's not.

I have my wrist in plaster as I broke it twice in one accident so my other hand can only tolerate short messages
  • No_Ta_Doctor

* Vanmarcke, Rowe, Teuns

Not from me it's not.

I have my wrist in plaster as I broke it twice in one accident so my other hand can only tolerate short messages
    Ouch. That's not ideal for participation in a cobbled monument spoiler thread. God bedring!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

* Vanmarcke, Rowe, Teuns

Not from me it's not.

Story?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Coopster ran him over :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

* Vanmarcke, Rowe, Teuns

Not from me it's not.

Amateur. I broke both wrists in one accident. As a nearly 13 year old it put my love life on hold for 6 weeks!

On the plus side it hopefully means you can watch on Sunday without having to deal with any nappy explosions.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited October 2020
    Edit......wrong Fred.