Grand Départ 2020 - Stage 1: Nice - Moyen pays - Nice 156kms *Spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

I don't think you can make an exception today or you set a precedent for later in the race

You what?

It's not as if they haven't done it in the past.
    Heck, Paul Sherwen for one.
    They may have done it in the past but it's not the norm otherwise why have a cut off. It rained and he missed the cut off - I like Degenkolb but I don't see that these are exceptional circumstances.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I don't think you can make an exception today or you set a precedent for later in the race

You what?

They may have done it in the past but it's not the norm otherwise why have a cut off. It rained and he missed the cut off - I like Degenkolb but I don't see that these are exceptional circumstances.
    A load of crashes caused by uci allowing soap to be thrown all over the road ahead of a wet race would be exceptional circumstances; or is uci incompetence just routine?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    If the above happens to be true then I can only imagine the "heated debates" happening in Nice tonight.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited August 2020

Valls taken to hospital too. Think he got caught up in the crash at 3km to go, as he's been given the same time.

He's got a broken his femur
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    That soap thing...it.... it just can't be that, right? Surely, not even the UCI are that dim....

ITV4 had lil Pete in the booth, who lives there, and he said it hadn't rained for ages (it is end of August now). Surely it's "just" that.

I'm pretty much ok with the whole Patron Tony thang, it was always going to be a bunch sprint, all that happened was it was a bit delayed and everyone ('cept Bennett) got down safely. I can dig that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited August 2020
    ddraver said:

That soap thing...it.... it just can't be that, right? Surely, not even the UCI are that dim....

ITV4 had lil Pete in the booth, who lives there, and he said it hadn't rained for ages (it is end of August now). Surely it's "just" that.

I'm pretty much ok with the whole Patron Tony thang, it was always going to be a bunch sprint, all that happened was it was a bit delayed and everyone ('cept Bennett) got down safely. I can dig that...

It's not just obviously, but the tweet that darkhairedlord looks fairly soapy. The UCI currently are very much that dim. They're run by a politician who is only good at winning elections, not governing. But Ian Boswell said he wouldn't train in Nice when it was raining and he lived there for eight years.

As for Tony Martin as 'patron' (an outdated concept from a different era), it seems that there's a group of riders from all the teams (maybe not all) that consult each other in the absence of CPA effectiveness.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Not so much a union as a WhatsApp group. A democratic pseudo-patron..?

I dig that too...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Its the diesel on the roads that causes the problems in the wet. Maybe the soap didnt help, but if thats the first rain for ages it was always going to be dangerous
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Gilbert out - broken kneecap
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    edited August 2020
    Anyone who’s ever ridden a motorbike knows that first rain after a dry spell is always lethal.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    RichN95. said:

Valls taken to hospital too. Think he got caught up in the crash at 3km to go, as he's been given the same time.

It's odd this - all the Spanish social media accounts were reporting a suspected broken collarbone, then the official confirmation says a broken femur. That's quite a difference.
  • andyp said:

RichN95. said:

It's odd this - all the Spanish social media accounts were reporting a suspected broken collarbone, then the official confirmation says a broken femur. That's quite a difference.
    We all know the international cyclist distress signal for "ow, my collarbone's gone" though. It only takes on rider saying "I thought I saw him holding his arm across his chest" for the rumours to start going round. Mistaken identity and trying to make sense of something they've only half seen at a stressful time explains enough for me.

The only thing that nags me slightly is that during an earlier crash - one of the ones where they went down at the same point on every circuit - there was an official car deep within the peloton and pushing through riders still on the ground. Made me think - as I'd been reading up - of the Mapei team car hitting Jacky Durand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yEcPS5LjCA
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    andyp said:

RichN95. said:

But if it's a Spanish broken femur he'll be right as rain for the Giro and will probably monster all the climbs there.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

I don't think you can make an exception today or you set a precedent for later in the race

You what?

A load of crashes caused by uci allowing soap to be thrown all over the road ahead of a wet race would be exceptional circumstances; or is uci incompetence just routine?
    Already covered but I'm not sure the soap was the issue. If it was then I agree with you but if it's "just" first rain on urban roads I don't see how that justifies reinstating Degenkolb.

It's a little harsh I know but you race the conditions.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • The caravan didn't go on the roads of the first 2 descents, so the soap theory is debunked.