ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Ineos are bluffing right..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    ddraver said:

Unless you mean bluffing by putting their train on the front to make themselves appear stronger than they actually are...
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I've only just remembered that their team was pretty useless last year as well. Until the really high mountains the leaders weren't up to much either.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver said:

I think everyone is winging it at the moment. No-one really knows where they will be in two weeks time. Even Roglic's stellar form is basically just him winning by a handful of seconds from groups of ten due to better acceleration in the last k.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

I think everyone is winging it at the moment. No-one really knows where they will be in two weeks time. Even Roglic's stellar form is basically just him winning by a handful of seconds from groups of ten due to better acceleration in the last k.
    This. I don't think we've seen anyone good properly attacking the Jumbo train from any sort of distance yet. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    edited August 2020
    Millar was very complimentary of Froome yesterday given where he’s come from.

Good to see Buchmann taking it on a bit, he looks a great rider. That final group had so many top names it was unreal. Kuss looked like he could’ve cycled back down and still caught everyone up 😂
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    ddraver said:

Up until the finial 3k 👌🏻

• rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

Fairly sure Thomas won a Tour doing that.
  • I'm looking forward to the real battle of the Tour. Forget Jumbo v Ineos, it's Rick vs Rich x
  • rick_chasey

I'm looking forward to the real battle of the Tour. Forget Jumbo v Ineos, it's Rick vs Rich x

:)

The way I see it ineos don't have enough riders in good enough nick to ride the way they are accustomed to, and I am sceptical they can really ride in another way.

They can still win of course, it's not a done deal, but I think Bernal will have to force a strong enough selection and go man-v-man rather than scoot off on the first big stage and then hide behind a phalanx of teammates.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited August 2020

They can still win of course, it's not a done deal, but I think Bernal will have to force a strong enough selection and go man-v-man rather than scoot off on the first big stage and then hide behind a phalanx of teammates.

Similar tactics, different team. 😉
    Just sit on the back of the Jumbo train (Roglic) until the last (?) kms.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

And that's worked for who exactly?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235

pblakeney said:

Arguably, it was working for Pinot last year until his injury.
  • RichN95.

I'm looking forward to the real battle of the Tour. Forget Jumbo v Ineos, it's Rick vs Rich x

He's not even a proper Richard. (I've always believed his was a made up name)
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

If your team isn't strong enough, and you aren't strong enough then you are not going to win anyway.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020
    So if you are a British resident currently working at the Dauphine, you're going have stay in France until the Tour if you want to work there. I'm thinking particularly of journalists here.

I'm sure any journalist not complying with quarantine will be called out by their colleagues ;)
  • pblakeney
    RichN95. said:

So if you are a British resident currently working at the Dauphine, you're going have stay in France until the Tour if you want to work there. I'm thinking particularly of journalists here.

Oh, the hardship. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Can confirm.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    edited August 2020

Tour isn't that far away...

No it's not . A million years ago before covid ineos would have be crushing it for months leading into the tour . Bernal is not far off thou ..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

RichN95. said:

Can confirm.
    Rick's real name is Rick Chasse-Patate
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors

pblakeney said:

Bernal and pinot are likley to be there . In this manner I doubt sky will come good in the 3rd if they are tussling it team to team with jumbo in week 1 .. if they hide maybe but it's not very controlling . Very un-ineos . Loads of other squads will do the same or target the mountains jersey actually the Kom may disrupt things looking at this parcours .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I think jumbo will control from beginning to end with rivals falling off the pace one by one and only Buchman pinot bernal and a distant nairoman staying in contact right till the plank tt where a tired roglic won't win but will do enough . It's not how I will play ptp thou .
  • We all know that current form, as with everything else, is pretty much irrelevant until the second Saturday.
    Until then it's all about survival.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    edited August 2020

We all know that current form, as with everything else, is pretty much irrelevant until the second Saturday.

'irrelevant' is too strong - and likely completely refuted by a glance at the 'past editions' tab on PCS re Dauphine :wink:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • 9 riders have 1'-10" over the peloton after a fast start.

Daniel Oss (Bora-Hansgrohe), Bob Jungels (Deceuninck-Quick Step), Pierre Latour (AG2R-La Mondiale), Davide Formolo (UAE Team Emirates), Christopher Juul Jensen (Mitchelton Scott), Soren Kragh Andersen and Jasha Sütterlin (Team Sunweb), Guy Niv (Israel Start-Up Nation) and Maxime Chevalier (B&B Hotels-Vital Concept)
  • rick_chasey
    Decent group that.
  • ddraver
    edited August 2020
    Pierre Latour has been very frisky the last few weeks, I like it.

Never any success but that would rather ruin it.
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited August 2020
    josame said:

We all know that current form, as with everything else, is pretty much irrelevant until the second Saturday.

'irrelevant' is too strong - and likely completely refuted by a glance at the 'past editions' tab on PCS re Dauphine and Tour de Suisse :wink:

A glance at the past kind of makes my point.

The Tour de Suisse only needs to be included in your form guide, because Bernal won it last year.
    Previous Suisse winners were: Porte, Spilak twice, Lopez, Costa.
    Not much Tour success there!
    Meanwhile last year's Dauphine winner did take 2 weeks to crash out.

Thomas won the Dauphine in 2018 and then rode a completely incident free Tour.

2017: two thirds of the Dauphine podium DNFs. Froome 4th wins 3rd consecutive Tour.

2015+16: Froome's double double.

2014: two thirds of the Dauphine podium DNFs.

• Davide Formolo and Pierre Latour had attacked on the Madeleine, but the Italian has dropped the Ag2r riders and is building a significant lead.

Looks like he will be around the crest by the time we get live pictures.

The bunch is over 5 minutes behind.
  • ddraver
    edited August 2020
    I drove over the Madeleine early one morning, and there was a huge stag in the middle of the road with the mist swirling around it's knees

We stopped and stared at each other for a few minutes.

Was cool...
    - @ddraver