Tour de l’Ain and Critérium du Dauphiné 2020 *Spoilers*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    MST?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Scott
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Whatever there dodad is
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Is MST bothering contesting the tour? Or on don't come good in the third secret sauce stratergy

I believe they have already stated that they aren't.
    Something said about targeting stages with Adam and having a crack at the Giro with Simon......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Roglic looked barely out of breath at the end there.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    All a bit crap that. Glad that Formolo won.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Ineos remind me of a fancied horse for the Derby running poorly in one of the trials.....whereas Jumbo-Visma appear to cruising.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyrac said:

Ineos remind me of a fancied horse for the Derby running poorly in one of the trials.....whereas Jumbo-Visma appear to cruising.

Ha. Maybe they’re rigging the betting. As soon as Froome drops to 33/1, Ratcliffe’s going stick a billion on him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Primoz Roglic results this season: 1-2-2-1-1-1-9-1-2.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

Conditions were really desperate for Dan.

Great shot if it weren't for the car.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Slovenian National Champs, Tour de l'Ain (including GC) and so far in the Dauphine? Impressive but not bonkers I'd have thought, especially as his winning margins haven't been huge.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Bernal's form appears to be in decline since Occitanie. Froome had already been dropped from the lead group by the time I managed to start watching and Thomas hasn't shown much so far. Sivakov's form seems to be following the same trajectory as Bernal's. Could there be an explanation for this (some super hard training camp designed to get them in peak shape for the TDF for example) or are Ineos about to have their worst Tour since 2014? Personally, at the moment, I think it is unlikely that they will even have anyone on the podium but they do have a habit of coming good when they need to.
  • rick_chasey
    I’m not expecting it to be so one sided in the Tour but it is nice to see a race with the big names in where Ineos are on the back foot, even when they’re probably not trying to win in like they normally are.
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    edited August 2020

I’m not expecting it to be so one sided in the Tour but it is nice to see a race with the big names in where Ineos are on the back foot, even when they’re probably not trying to win in like they normally are.

Completely agree, there needed to be a change in the narrative. It sets things up nicely for the tour really.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Last year Roglic won the UAE tour, Tirreno Adriatic and Romandie before not winning the Giro.
  • RichN95.

Last year Roglic won the UAE tour, Tirreno Adriatic and Romandie before not winning the Giro.

The counterpoint is that the last first time Tour winner (before DQs) who didn't come in with a lot of winning momentum was Carlos Sastre.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    RichN95. said:

The counterpoint is that the last first time Tour winner (before DQs) who didn't come in with a lot of winning momentum was Carlos Sastre.
    Just saying he was winning without looking like he was trying before his first GT last year, so nothing is nailed on. It's possible he might run out of steam. His team looks way stronger than he had in the Giro though.
  • RichN95.
    The standard disclaimer applies. This is not an normal season
  • RichN95. said:

Just saying he was winning without looking like he was trying before his first GT last year, so nothing is nailed on. It's possible he might run out of steam. His team looks way stronger than he had in the Giro though.
    His team is also way stronger but I don’t believe everything is clear cut yet for the tour particularly because of the abnormal season factor mentioned above. People coming in from all sorts of different training blocks/altitude camps. I think there’ll be some surprises at the tour still.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

No and they may not even finish the Tour.

Get your winning and your lead in while you can.
  • RichN95. said:

Given Jumbo's luck when it comes to winning big, Roglic will probably be 5 minutes up, then the race gets cancelled on the first rest day.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

RichN95. said:

Given Jumbo's luck when it comes to winning big, Roglic will probably be 5 minutes up, then the race gets cancelled on the first rest day.
    Wouldn't that mean a Roglic win?
    Although there would always be the asterix next to it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

Winning what though?
    Can a 9 stage race be considered a GT?
    Some folks thought Bernal's win last year was by default and that only lost one stage finish and one stage start.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited August 2020

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

Winning what though?
    Can a 9 stage race be considered a GT?
    Some folks thought Bernal's win last year was by default and that only lost one stage finish and one stage start.
    I *think* that has been decided to be the way to declare the winner of this year's TdF, should it happen. Two ways to play it.
    1. Decide that if it doesn't finish then it's not real, although the record will say otherwise.
    2. Go full gas from the start in case it does happen.

Could be a good race if No.2 is implemented.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Bernal won't race today. Has a back injury.
  • rick_chasey
    50x11 said:

Eek
  • RichN95.
    50x11 said:

Injured it carrying his teammates?
  • I think Bernal riding these 5 mountain finishes off the back of l'Ain and Occitanie is a bridge too far.
    Think he's knackered.

Intimated that maybe he should DNF this race, yesterday.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2020
    Ugh

A lot of shoulder to dislocate too