Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Unpopular Opinions

1434445464749»

• rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,538 Lives Here
    edited 15 January

I guess my opinion might be unpopular here then: that, if you don't rate an artist as highly as others do, they didn't make the music they did just because they hated you and wanted to see you suffer, nor is their success due to a massive worldwide conspiracy set up purely to wind you personally up.

Lies, lies!

• pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,117
    secretsam said:

I would put Queen in room 101

I utterly agree, they're absolute bobbins. Overblown, pompous shite.
    I was at a party as a young man, I mentioned that Queen were carp, chap says to me "name another band that have more massively influenced music". I listed a huge great number, starting with The Smiths.

He just looked at me, and said: "B**tard"
    The Smiths massively influenced music?
    That comes as news to me. Is it an unpopular opinion thinking Morrisey is a knob?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723focuszing723 Posts: 1,538
    pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

I was at a party as a young man, I mentioned that Queen were carp, chap says to me "name another band that have more massively influenced music". I listed a huge great number, starting with The Smiths.

That comes as news to me. Is it an unpopular opinion thinking Morrisey is a knob?
    And heaven knows I'm miserable now.
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 18,895
    pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

No, that is a verifiable fact.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • kingstongrahamkingstongraham Posts: 13,766
    pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

edited 15 January

pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

Johnny Marr with The Killers
    Can Johnny Marr play the guitar? Yes.
    Did The Smiths massively influence music? No.
    I suppose SS's post is in the correct thread. 😉
    veronese68 wrote:
  • ProssPross Posts: 25,314

I guess my opinion might be unpopular here then: that, if you don't rate an artist as highly as others do, they didn't make the music they did just because they hated you and wanted to see you suffer, nor is their success due to a massive worldwide conspiracy set up purely to wind you personally up.

It's a pet hate of mine when people dismiss anything they don't like as rubbish rather than just not to their taste. There's plenty I don't like but it's a bit arrogant to dismiss it as censored on that basis (I'm sure I have done / will do again and am open to accusations of hypocrisy but I do try to avoid it).
  • kingstongrahamkingstongraham Posts: 13,766
    edited 15 January
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

Johnny Marr with The Killers
    Can Johnny Marr play the guitar? Yes.
    Did The Smiths massively influence music? No.
    I suppose SS's post is in the correct thread. 😉
    If you can't hear the influence, I can't help you. (Ignoring Morrissey as we have to try to nowadays.)

(Plus Live Forever by Oasis is basically a bad Johnny Marr impression.)
  • Dorset_BoyDorset_Boy Posts: 3,341
    Pross said:

It's a pet hate of mine when people dismiss anything they don't like as rubbish rather than just not to their taste. There's plenty I don't like but it's a bit arrogant to dismiss it as censored on that basis (I'm sure I have done / will do again and am open to accusations of hypocrisy but I do try to avoid it).
    Although Morrisey & The Smiths were utter shite.
  • ProssPross Posts: 25,314

Pross said:

Although Morrisey & The Smiths were utter shite.
    Ha ha, I nearly said that myself. My first memory of Morrisey is him on Top of The Pops singing Panic with what appeared to be half a hedge attached to his censored . They've never been to my taste ;)
  • carbonclemcarbonclem Posts: 948
    edited 15 January
    Viewed now, Quadrophenia is a clunky naff film. Massive impact back in the day though and best viewed with a nostalgic view - modernist sympathies improve it somewhat.

Queen - overrated and saved by Live Aid. Since Mercury died the band (all only moderately talented) have torn any dignity from the hollow husk of the band.

The Smiths - great legacy as a band. The abhorrance of Morrisey is only countered however by the wonder of Marr. They were plagiarists but I can see that the would also influence onwards.
    2020 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Johnny Marr is a supremely gifted guitarist.
  • focuszing723focuszing723 Posts: 1,538
    As a kid I used to think that, 'What the hell is he on about?'. Now when I hear the lyrics in passing, yeah I get it and how it would have meant a lot to some kids in that era when I didn't understand. Basically, I was happy when I was young and didn't feel isolated. I'm still am as an adult too, but maybe with more experience and inevitable empathy I don't just dismiss it.

I mean who here can't have empath with the lyric:

"Punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet?"
  • carbonclemcarbonclem Posts: 948

Johnny Marr is a supremely gifted guitarist.

Absolute top chap, too.
    2020 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 3,973
    Jonny Marr has also played with the Charlatans, the Cribs, Electronic...the list goes on.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • secretsamsecretsam Posts: 4,612
    pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

Nope, he was always a bell-end, he has just become a more fascist bell-end.
    Doesn't mean that The Smiths weren't hugely influential.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
    secretsam said:

pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

Nope, he was always a bell-end, he has just become a more fascist bell-end.
    Doesn't mean that The Smiths weren't hugely influential.
    I must enjoy having unpopular opinions. 🤣
    Some good songs but I don't see where they were influential. Hey ho...
    veronese68 wrote: