Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

As well as preferring to eat in pubs for the simplicity, I prefer the service in cheap cafes to posh restaurants.

You not into parting with £500 to be fawned over for 3 hours?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

As well as preferring to eat in pubs for the simplicity, I prefer the service in cheap cafes to posh restaurants.

Hookers?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

When someone else pays it is ok, and granted on a taste/mouthful basis it scores highly, but the fawning and half-empty plates are annoying.
  • ballysmate

It's adequate and good value. It's not "very good" food. T

About 20 years ago I had a mixed grill in Surbiton Wetherspoons as nowhere else was Erving food mid-afternoon. The Cumberland ring was frozen in the middle, I haven’t eaten there since.

They do good beer but like Brian my boycott is steadfast and more meaningful than my refusal to buy JCB products or invest through Hargreaves Lansdown
    Ah JCB, a successful British company with full international order books, taken hundreds on in the last 12 months.
    I can see why they would be unpopular on here.
  • It's adequate and good value. It's not "very good" food. T

If microwaved food is your thing, it's OK. Haven't been into a Wetherspoon's since Tim Martin pinned his colours to the Brexit mast and shafted his staff over covid.
    He didn't shaft them. He actually said the total opposite. what he said was along the lines of "while on furlough please feel free to get another job such as stacking shelves in tesco or whatever you can to supplement your income and you'll be welcome back"

The media latched onto get another job stacking shelves and that was that.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203

About 20 years ago I had a mixed grill in Surbiton Wetherspoons as nowhere else was Erving food mid-afternoon. The Cumberland ring was frozen in the middle, I haven’t eaten there since.

They do good beer but like Brian my boycott is steadfast and more meaningful than my refusal to buy JCB products or invest through Hargreaves Lansdown
    Ah JCB, a successful British company with full international order books, taken hundreds on in the last 12 months.
    I can see why they would be unpopular on here.
    They've been very proactive with pushing ahead with hydrogen, which is probably a good move with the environment ever-growing in political concern.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited January 2022

Yeah, I agree in terms of eating in a pub, but stick with there is nothing wrong with their food either.

What’s their cauliflower steak like.
    I met Tim Martin many, many years ago. I drove a couple of mates to a meeting with him, they were going to buy a pub in York that he felt wouldn’t fit his business model. He was offering advice on its viability to be renovated. He seemed ok but it was some time in the last century.
  • ballysmate

If microwaved food is your thing, it's OK. Haven't been into a Wetherspoon's since Tim Martin pinned his colours to the Brexit mast and shafted his staff over covid.
    He didn't shaft them. He actually said the total opposite. what he said was along the lines of "while on furlough please feel free to get another job such as stacking shelves in tesco or whatever you can to supplement your income and you'll be welcome back"

The media latched onto get another job stacking shelves and that was that.
    Bbbbut he was pro Brexit so no way back from that on here I'm afraid.
  • focuszing723
    webboo said:

Yeah, I agree in terms of eating in a pub, but stick with there is nothing wrong with their food either.

What’s their cauliflower steak like.
    I met Tim Martin many, many years ago. I drove a couple of mates to a meeting with him, they were going to buy a pub in York that he felt wouldn’t fit his business model. He was offering advice on its viability to be renovated. He seemed ok but it was some time in the last century.
    He's always seemed pretty decent, but I was really surprised he decided to get mixed up in the Brexit debate. I guess in a way, you have to admire him for fighting for his convictions, knowing the implications to the business.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited January 2022
    My unpopular opinion is most parts of the country are just different levels of sh!thole.

Because we only visit the sh!tholes where we know people (or live in them ourselves) and otherwise visit nice places so what we see of the country is a poor representation of how sh!t it really is.

*this applies to pretty much everywhere in the world, but then there are *even more* sh!tholes.
  • First.Aspect

My unpopular opinion is most parts of the country are just different levels of sh!thole.

Because we only visit the sh!tholes where we know people (or live in them ourselves) and otherwise visit nice places so what we see of the country is a poor representation of how sh!t it really is.

*this applies to pretty much everywhere in the world, but then there are *even more* sh!tholes.

Nope, I agree. The UK is a dump. Exceptions are the SW (this doesn't include Bristol or Plymouth), Wales (apart from where people live), Cumbria, Northumberland, the Southern Uplands, the Highlands, the Islands.

See a common thread?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932

Cornwall. Apart from the bit round the edge. If you think that all of the southwest is lovely, and the population well-off, go to St Austell, Camborne or Bugle. Eye-opening.

Most of Devon is, actually lovely, but some of the towns are ABS.

Lots of France is really really boring. Much more variation in the relatively small area of England.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

See a common thread?

People are what sh!t things up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect

Cornwall. Apart from the bit round the edge. If you think that all of the southwest is lovely, and the population well-off, go to St Austell, Camborne or Bugle. Eye-opening.

Lots of France is really really boring. Much more variation in the relatively small area of England.
    flat = boring.

Cornwall is other worldly. Where else could a cheese ring be a local landmark.

• rick_chasey
    Meh, I feel a weird spiritual connection to genuine flatland that I don't get elsewhere, so can't agree with flat=boring.

Being in "nature" is also overrated but I think I've covered that extensively on this thread.
  • First.Aspect

Or Liskeard, Polperro or Looe. Most people who live there are either retired or don't live in the bits you visit.

I do love Devon, but it has a yoghurt knitting w@nker problem.
  • focuszing723
    Nah, flat is boring. Walk somewhere where it's flat, and it's extremely tedious, compared to hill walking. Architecture makes a difference though, perhaps that's what you mean, well, and the bloody tulips.
  • briantrumpet

Meh, I feel a weird spiritual connection to genuine flatland that I don't get elsewhere, so can't agree with flat=boring.

Being in "nature" is also overrated but I think I've covered that extensively on this thread.

Flat is boring though. It really struck me when I stayed in Lincolnshire that absolutely everything I could see was the result of humans: the drainage, the field shapes, the buildings, what was growing. I found photography there really challenging to make interesting, unless you go on all the human creations for shape.

I like landforms, whether it's rolling stuff, moorland, mountains & valleys, etc. Though I think I am a bit spoilt in the areas I know.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2022

Flat is boring though. It really struck me when I stayed in Lincolnshire that absolutely everything I could see was the result of humans: the drainage, the field shapes, the buildings, what was growing. I found photography there really challenging to make interesting, unless you go on all the human creations for shape.
    That is 100% the inverse of my approach.

If everything I can see is the result of humans I am much much much more interested.

There is something about the symmetry of the big sky against the straight land/horizon that I find extremely appealing.

I took that photo :)
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2022

If everything I can see is the result of humans I am much much much more interested.

There is something about the symmetry of the big sky against the straight land/horizon that I find extremely appealing.

I took that photo :)
    Their wind generators look a bit old fashioned?
  • briantrumpet

There is something about the symmetry of the big sky against the straight land that I find extremely appealing.

Each to his own.

I also find cycling on the flat boring. Thought I'd love it after lumpy Devon, but the novelty of riding across the Somerset Levels wears off after about 10 miles.
  • focuszing723

See, that's the ticket.
  • focuszing723
    The delays when people post do get annoying, it make it difficult to follow sometimes. I doubt that's an unpopular opinion.
  • First.Aspect

Depends what you are used to. I've spent time in Kansas and Minnesota. To me, being so far from a coast is odd. So is being so far from any terrain. But soon enough you recalibrate. The mississippi becomes the coast. A bluff becomes a mountain. A small lake with trees becomes scenery.

You are completely wrong about nature, btw. Give it time, some age and the novelty of concrete will wear off.
  • briantrumpet

Depends what you are used to. I've spent time in Kansas and Minnesota. To me, being so far from a coast is odd. So is being so far from any terrain. But soon enough you recalibrate. The mississippi becomes the coast. A bluff becomes a mountain. A small lake with trees becomes scenery.

You are completely wrong about nature, btw. Give it time, some age and the novelty of concrete will wear off.

I've just no idea how a walk in Lincolnshire, Holland, or a flat part of France can compete. One of my summer strolls... I spent most of the time slack-jawed. And now, again, looking at it.

• pblakeney

Depends what you are used to. I've spent time in Kansas and Minnesota...

I thought it was all about "big skies", fluffy clouds etc....
    Just an impression rather than experience or opinion though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

The delays when people post do get annoying, it make it difficult to follow sometimes. I doubt that's an unpopular opinion.

You need to use quotes to maintain context.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

That's fair, the comments do stack up a bit sometimes though.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

That's fair, the comments do stack up a bit sometimes though.
    Not a problem if you edit your settings to show just the last quote of the thread.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

Depends what you are used to. I've spent time in Kansas and Minnesota...

I thought it was all about "big skies", fluffy clouds etc....
    Just an impression rather than experience or opinion though.
    For want of anything else, it is.

But you get that where there are hills as well. Montana's state motto is "Big Sky Country", for example.