Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203

pblakeney said:

The delays when people post do get annoying, it make it difficult to follow sometimes. I doubt that's an unpopular opinion.

You need to use quotes to maintain context.
    That's fair, the comments do stack up a bit sometimes though.
    Not a problem if you edit your settings to show just the last quote of the thread.
    Yeah, I do that, It's more courtesy for others.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939

pblakeney said:

The delays when people post do get annoying, it make it difficult to follow sometimes. I doubt that's an unpopular opinion.

Not a problem if you edit your settings to show just the last quote of the thread.

I'll edit quotes sometimes to get just the relevant bit. But I think it's also a courtesy to quote what you're replying to, to save misunderstanding.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203

pblakeney said:

I'll edit quotes sometimes to get just the relevant bit. But I think it's also a courtesy to quote what you're replying to, to save misunderstanding.
    Yeah, fair.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602

Meh, I feel a weird spiritual connection to genuine flatland that I don't get elsewhere, so can't agree with flat=boring.

Being in "nature" is also overrated but I think I've covered that extensively on this thread.

Depends what you are used to. I've spent time in Kansas and Minnesota. To me, being so far from a coast is odd. So is being so far from any terrain. But soon enough you recalibrate. The mississippi becomes the coast. A bluff becomes a mountain. A small lake with trees becomes scenery.

You are completely wrong about nature, btw. Give it time, some age and the novelty of concrete will wear off.
    I think I'd go mad living in the Mid West plains. Flat can be OK if there are decent stretches of water but mile after mile of flat wheat fields with dead straight roads is horrendous. Only good to provide a horror film setting or some weird town in a Jack Reacher novel.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    Pross said:

Meh, I feel a weird spiritual connection to genuine flatland that I don't get elsewhere, so can't agree with flat=boring.

Being in "nature" is also overrated but I think I've covered that extensively on this thread.

Depends what you are used to. I've spent time in Kansas and Minnesota. To me, being so far from a coast is odd. So is being so far from any terrain. But soon enough you recalibrate. The mississippi becomes the coast. A bluff becomes a mountain. A small lake with trees becomes scenery.

You are completely wrong about nature, btw. Give it time, some age and the novelty of concrete will wear off.
    I think I'd go mad living in the Mid West plains. Flat can be OK if there are decent stretches of water but mile after mile of flat wheat fields with dead straight roads is horrendous. Only good to provide a horror film setting or some weird town in a Jack Reacher novel.
    Indeed. Bits of it aren't that bad. But in general it is a bit too Fargo for me. But then I don't think I'd last for long in New York either. Or London. That's flat and boring isn't it?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,645
    You're all set in your ways. Variety is the spice of life etc. etc.

More people should buy globes.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Once had the misfortune to drive from St Louis to Memphis through Missouri.
    Hours of absolute boredom
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647

Once had the misfortune to drive from St Louis to Memphis through Missouri.
    Hours of absolute boredom

You needed to stop and try to communicate with the locals.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    pblakeney said:

Depends what you are used to. I've spent time in Kansas and Minnesota...

I thought it was all about "big skies", fluffy clouds etc....
    Just an impression rather than experience or opinion though.
    I have family in Winipeg, it's flat for millions of miles in every direction from there. Two of my cousins have escaped and moved to Calgary over the years, scenery there looked truly stunning. They both moved back after a few years. I asked my uncle why they would move back to a place so flat with an inhospitable climate. He said it's a known thing that people miss the huge expanse of blue sky they get there. People often move away, then move back.
    I really don't get it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I know ex tankies that trained at BATUS, Alberta.
    So flat and so few landmarks that make it so difficult to get any idea of perspective or scale.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,809

pblakeney said:

Depends what you are used to. I've spent time in Kansas and Minnesota...

I thought it was all about "big skies", fluffy clouds etc....
    Just an impression rather than experience or opinion though.
    I have family in Winipeg, it's flat for millions of miles in every direction from there. Two of my cousins have escaped and moved to Calgary over the years, scenery there looked truly stunning...
    I spent time in Calgary and it has both. Go west and you have the Rockies. Go east and you have thousands of miles of nothing. I went west. 😉 It was boring enough flying over the prairies.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    edited January 2022

So flat and so few landmarks that make it so difficult to get any idea of perspective or scale.

At that point they learn about naval warfare.

Anyway, America is 95% sh!thole at least so figures
  • Pross
    The thing that surprises me in the US and Canada is the ability to build an absolute dump of a town with a stunning natural backdrop. I know we've done it to an extent in industrial areas of Cornwall, Wales, Northern England etc. but the places you see in the likes of Pennsylvania are a whole other level and it's not just industrial places.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Makes it a fair bit easier for the gunner though !
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    edited January 2022

Flat is boring though. It really struck me when I stayed in Lincolnshire that absolutely everything I could see was the result of humans: the drainage, the field shapes, the buildings, what was growing. I found photography there really challenging to make interesting, unless you go on all the human creations for shape.

I like landforms, whether it's rolling stuff, moorland, mountains & valleys, etc. Though I think I am a bit spoilt in the areas I know.
    It's all man made: the little copse on the flat top of every hill in East Devon just as much as all the fenland drains and causeways. Granted the underlying geology is predates human landscaping in both cases, but that's a similarity rather than a difference. The topography is less obvious in the Fens or Levels, but it's still there if you look at a map. Here's someone who has done something interesting with the straight lines of the fens.

https://www.paulhartphotography.com/folios
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

I've just no idea how a walk in Lincolnshire, Holland, or a flat part of France can compete. One of my summer strolls... I spent most of the time slack-jawed. And now, again, looking at it.

Different scales, that's all.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Flat is boring though. It really struck me when I stayed in Lincolnshire that absolutely everything I could see was the result of humans: the drainage, the field shapes, the buildings, what was growing. I found photography there really challenging to make interesting, unless you go on all the human creations for shape.

I like landforms, whether it's rolling stuff, moorland, mountains & valleys, etc. Though I think I am a bit spoilt in the areas I know.
    It's all man made: the little copse on the flat top of every hill in East Devon just as much as all the fenland drains and causeways. Granted the underlying geology is predates human landscaping in both cases, but that's a similarity rather than a difference. The topography is less obvious in the Fens or Levels, but it's still there if you look at a map. Here's someone who has done something interesting with the straight lines of the fens.

Yes, straight lines and the like in the flatlands, but the lack of any real variation is boring, to me. You don't have to go far in East Devon to find a sharp valley scored into the Greensand Escarpment, and that gives a thrill, on a bike, or with a camera.

And yes, of course, you can't get away from humans' effect on the land (Dartmoor as a 'natural wilderness' is codswallop), but I like to be able to see varied landforms underneath (and ride my bike on them.)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

My unpopular opinion is most parts of the country are just different levels of sh!thole.

Because we only visit the sh!tholes where we know people (or live in them ourselves) and otherwise visit nice places so what we see of the country is a poor representation of how sh!t it really is.

*this applies to pretty much everywhere in the world, but then there are *even more* sh!tholes.

Cornwall. Apart from the bit round the edge. If you think that all of the southwest is lovely, and the population well-off, go to St Austell, Camborne or Bugle. Eye-opening.

Most of Devon is, actually lovely, but some of the towns are ABS.

Lots of France is really really boring. Much more variation in the relatively small area of England.
    flat = boring.

Cornwall is other worldly. Where else could a cheese ring be a local landmark.

A few stones at the top of an old quarry that’s pretty sh*t climbing wise as well.
  • webboo

I find a bit puzzling when people go on about Lincolnshire being flat, there are plenty of hills in the wolds. Obviously there are no mountains but you can find gradients around 20%.
  • briantrumpet
    webboo said:

I find a bit puzzling when people go on about Lincolnshire being flat, there are plenty of hills in the wolds. Obviously there are no mountains but you can find gradients around 20%.

Actually, yes, the Wolds are nice, but the large flat bits are definitely flat.
  • rick_chasey
    webboo said:

Don't include me in this. I'm a Dutchie who grew up on the North side of Cambridge
  • webboo

webboo said:

Actually, yes, the Wolds are nice, but the large flat bits are definitely flat.
    So are the large flat bits in most counties.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Yes, straight lines and the like in the flatlands, but the lack of any real variation is boring, to me. You don't have to go far in East Devon to find a sharp valley scored into the Greensand Escarpment, and that gives a thrill, on a bike, or with a camera.

And yes, of course, you can't get away from humans' effect on the land (Dartmoor as a 'natural wilderness' is codswallop), but I like to be able to see varied landforms underneath (and ride my bike on them.)
    I like some topography as much as the next man, and have always been amused by what counts as a hill in London, but there is definitely 'something' about flat places. I have a particular soft spot for Romney Marsh and all it's isolated churches.

Best visited on a dark, misty day.

https://romneymarshchurches.org.uk/churches/

And the Downs are not far away so you can get your hill fix.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    Do flatists dislike beaches too, or do a few waves make the view better?
  • rick_chasey
    I think it was BB who was talking about variety being the spice of life.

I do think repetition in many aspects in life is really undervalued.

The sort of circular rhythm of life can really rock you into an altered state.

short repetitions in things like music, speaking, movement (like cycling!) can all put you into a sort of trance. The circle of the day, years etc.

There's also something to be said for doing something you've done a lot; the comfort of being on the same bike you've ridden for years and years; even the lack of attention you have for riding the same route over.

I do get a lot out of going back to things or repeating them over and over; as much as I do from trying out new things.

• Sometimes I think it would be great to have a flat cycling route somewhere nearby, just to remind me what it is like.....
  • TheBigBean

Sometimes I think it would be great to have a flat cycling route somewhere nearby, just to remind me what it is like.....

I'm not an expert, but windy and painful is my experience.
  • It's adequate and good value. It's not "very good" food. T

About 20 years ago I had a mixed grill in Surbiton Wetherspoons as nowhere else was Erving food mid-afternoon. The Cumberland ring was frozen in the middle, I haven’t eaten there since.
    /
    They do good beer but like Brian my boycott is steadfast and more meaningful than my refusal to buy JCB products or invest through Hargreaves Lansdown
    Did you send it back and ask for another one? Or stoically/Britishly leave it, then moan about it for the next twenty years?
    I could have used the steak to resole my shoe so there seemed little point sending it back. I assumed that was the quality you got for £7.95 and ate the bits that were edible
  • Pross
    webboo said:

Meh, I had to work for two weeks in Skegness which involved night work so I took my bike and went out in the Wolds. Sure, it's vastly better than the rest of the County but it wasn't excatly challenging even for a fatty like me.
  • Pross

Do flatists dislike beaches too, or do a few waves make the view better?

I like beaches with cliff or sand dune to the rear and the sea to the front. The pebble beaches on much of the south coast don't really appeal to me but I do love the sea itself.