Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Meh, I feel a weird spiritual connection to genuine flatland that I don't get elsewhere, so can't agree with flat=boring.

Being in "nature" is also overrated but I think I've covered that extensively on this thread.

Flat is boring though. It really struck me when I stayed in Lincolnshire that absolutely everything I could see was the result of humans: the drainage, the field shapes, the buildings, what was growing. I found photography there really challenging to make interesting, unless you go on all the human creations for shape.

I like landforms, whether it's rolling stuff, moorland, mountains & valleys, etc. Though I think I am a bit spoilt in the areas I know.
    It's all man made: the little copse on the flat top of every hill in East Devon just as much as all the fenland drains and causeways. Granted the underlying geology is predates human landscaping in both cases, but that's a similarity rather than a difference. The topography is less obvious in the Fens or Levels, but it's still there if you look at a map. Here's someone who has done something interesting with the straight lines of the fens.

https://www.paulhartphotography.com/folios

Yes, straight lines and the like in the flatlands, but the lack of any real variation is boring, to me. You don't have to go far in East Devon to find a sharp valley scored into the Greensand Escarpment, and that gives a thrill, on a bike, or with a camera.

And yes, of course, you can't get away from humans' effect on the land (Dartmoor as a 'natural wilderness' is codswallop), but I like to be able to see varied landforms underneath (and ride my bike on them.)
    I like some topography as much as the next man, and have always been amused by what counts as a hill in London, but there is definitely 'something' about flat places. I have a particular soft spot for Romney Marsh and all it's isolated churches.

Best visited on a dark, misty day.

https://romneymarshchurches.org.uk/churches/

And the Downs are not far away so you can get your hill fix.
    I think that one is the same as this (Fairfield).

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,701
    Yep. Didn't get to visit it last time I was there but did visit this one which has an unusual detached bellcote.

https://romneymarshchurches.org.uk/churches/brookland/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

webboo said:

Meh, I feel a weird spiritual connection to genuine flatland that I don't get elsewhere, so can't agree with flat=boring.

Being in "nature" is also overrated but I think I've covered that extensively on this thread.

Flat is boring though. It really struck me when I stayed in Lincolnshire that absolutely everything I could see was the result of humans: the drainage, the field shapes, the buildings, what was growing. I found photography there really challenging to make interesting, unless you go on all the human creations for shape.

I like landforms, whether it's rolling stuff, moorland, mountains & valleys, etc. Though I think I am a bit spoilt in the areas I know.
    I find a bit puzzling when people go on about Lincolnshire being flat, there are plenty of hills in the wolds. Obviously there are no mountains but you can find gradients around 20%.
    Meh, I had to work for two weeks in Skegness which involved night work so I took my bike and went out in the Wolds. Sure, it's vastly better than the rest of the County but it wasn't excatly challenging even for a fatty like me.
    I guess it depends on how much effort you put in. ;)
  • The Sopranos was very overrated and boring
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Unpopular opinions on TV programs?
    I've got a list longer than a long arm of "unmissable" TV that bored me silly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Wasn't there a series called 'Unmissible' ?
  • ....with an 'i'
  • Nope...just spelled it incorrectly. Sounds like a TV programme though.
  • Big Bang Theory and Friends really aren't funny.

in fairness I don't think Friends is supposed to be funny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,935

It's adequate and good value. It's not "very good" food. T

If microwaved food is your thing, it's OK. Haven't been into a Wetherspoon's since Tim Martin pinned his colours to the Brexit mast and shafted his staff over covid.
    If you looked into every Company and their ethics, you'd have to have an allotment and whittle the products you use with wood. No question he was daft though, getting political, he guaranteed he would alienate half his customers at a stroke.

I think he's just a massive bellënd, even if he does live just along the road from me. On the plus side, he's got quite a nice gate.
    That's begging for a description.

Tim Martin's garden gate.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203

It's adequate and good value. It's not "very good" food. T

If microwaved food is your thing, it's OK. Haven't been into a Wetherspoon's since Tim Martin pinned his colours to the Brexit mast and shafted his staff over covid.
    If you looked into every Company and their ethics, you'd have to have an allotment and whittle the products you use with wood. No question he was daft though, getting political, he guaranteed he would alienate half his customers at a stroke.

I think he's just a massive bellënd, even if he does live just along the road from me. On the plus side, he's got quite a nice gate.
    That's begging for a description.

Tim Martin's garden gate.

Ahhhh, A like and top marks for capturing the house too.
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    edited January 2022

Big Bang Theory and Friends really aren't funny.

The first few series of Big Bang where fantastic, it went very poor in later series. TBH most comedy series go on a little too long.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    One thing I will say about TBBT is that it finished around the same time as that other 8 season long TV sensation that has since sunk without trace or mention.

It's final few episodes were a case study in how to finish a series well. As opposed to...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    BBT was the first programme I really binge watched. We used to see episodes out of sequence when staying in the caravan which has limited TV options and enjoyed them so decided to watch the whole lot. I really enjoyed them all and it was wrapped up really well.

Never watched The Sopranos. Most successful series go on too long, Line of Duty being a very obvious example. Some go on too long in a single series (Gangs of London).
  • ddraver
    (the one I was jokingly pretending should not be named began with a G

and an o

and a T

...)
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

and an o

and a T

...)

Only ever saw a few episodes. Not my sort of thing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    ddraver said:

and an o

and a T

...)

I thought the ending of that one was fine...
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,927
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

and an o

and a T

...)

Only ever saw a few episodes. Not my sort of thing.
    First series dragged a bit, wasn't my sort of thing either, but then (imo) became must watch TV.

So before season 8 came out, I'd recommend pushing through the first series.

With the way it ended though... Don't bother!

in fairness I don't think Friends is supposed to be funny
    Since it is described as a American sit com perhaps I shouldn't have expected it to be funny!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,739
    I think in all instances, beards look sh!t and scruffy.
  • Pross
    I'm surprised they are still fashionable, must have been back in vogue for well over a decade now. I really don't know how anyone bears having one, despite being lazy and hating shaving a week is the longest I've managed before getting the razor out.
  • ddraver
    Hides the ugly...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Makes the ugly hairy and ugly :wink:
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,424
    I love my beard I do. Makes I look like a Piiiirate! Arrrr!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,568
    edited January 2023
    Seems to be a popular way to hide double chins
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    Stevo_666 said:

Seems to be popular way to hide double chins

Or no chins.

Or no top lip.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,549
    I am very rarely clean shaven but on the couple of occasions when I have gone fully beardy I only lasted a few weeks - not a big fan of having hair around my mouth.

Having a scruffy looking face doesn't bother me, it fits in with the rest of my scruffy self.

I can understand scruffy beards, it's the carefully trimmed ones that I don't understand - the main benefit of a beard for me is low maintenance, if I have to shave it into shape every day, I may as well go the whole hog.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    Elon Musk doesn't have a beard. Consequently people shouldn't have beards if the want to aspire to greatness.
  • ddraver
    monkimark said:

I am very rarely clean shaven but on the couple of occasions when I have gone fully beardy I only lasted a few weeks - not a big fan of having hair around my mouth.

Having a scruffy looking face doesn't bother me, it fits in with the rest of my scruffy self.

I can understand scruffy beards, it's the carefully trimmed ones that I don't understand - the main benefit of a beard for me is low maintenance, if I have to shave it into shape every day, I may as well go the whole hog.

Well, i have to trim every 2 weeks but too be clean shaven I'd have to shave every day.
    - @ddraver