Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    "and there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time..."

Bomp jr was snowed in for a week in a tiny village in the mountains of Lesotho a couple of years ago, tbf that wasn't at Christmas though - it was the middle of July.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    There won't be snow in Africa, this Christmas time. It's largely in the Southern Hemisphere.

Do they know it's Christmas time at all? Do they care, given that it's a predominantly Muslim continent?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    edited December 2020

Band Aid I is underrated as a Christmas song.

There was an article in The Times the other day, and I was shocked to the core to see this:

I was surprised to find that current school pupils know the song - it's about 36 years old now.
    I think not still gets played a fair bit on the radio, like a lot of the old Christmas 'classics'. It gets extra marks for keeping Shakin' Stevens Xmas song off the radio for a year as Shakey knew he'd never beat the Band aid single to number 1, so he sat until the following Christmas.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited December 2020
    Literally only this second have I connected Band Aid (the band/song) and Band Aid (Elastoplast). Is there supposed to be a connection?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Nah, ones Us, one UK innit? Bob Geldof wouldn't have put the.. together surely... 😋

Gavin & Stacey gave it a bit of a revival. Plus there have been 2 subsequent 'updates'.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,442
    Ben6899 said:

There won't be snow in Africa, this Christmas time. It's largely in the Southern Hemisphere.

Do they know it's Christmas time at all? Do they care, given that it's a predominantly Muslim continent?

It was done to raise money for the then famine in Ethiopia (northern hemisphere and predominantly Christian) though ;)
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Nah, ones Us, one UK innit? Bob Geldof wouldn't have put the.. together surely... 😋

Gavin & Stacey gave it a bit of a revival. Plus there have been 2 subsequent 'updates'.

3 - Band Aid II (1989), Band Aid 20 (2004) and Band Aid 30 (2014).

• I thought it was feed the wooaaarrlllddd

Well exactly - that was the shocking bit.

• Pross
    There's also a ski resorts in Algeria and Morocco with a season usually between December and March. It was forecast to snow in Michlifen (Morocco) today and they have an average of 6cm per week in the 3rd week of December but that may not have been on Geldof and Midge Ure's mind when writing a song , pulling together 40 of the biggest artists of the day together (pre-social media and mobile phones) to record it and getting released within a few weeks of coming up with the idea I suppose.

Oh, and the Band Aid name was apparently used as it was equated to trying to dress a wound.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Ben6899 said:

• Can someone embed this? It's rather good and I am struggling with IT right now
  • Ben6899
    edited December 2020

Can someone embed this? It's rather good and I am struggling with IT right now

With infection rates surging and experts warning of a third wave, this is Boris and the Superspreaders with #DoTheyKnowItsCovidTime 🎄🦠 pic.twitter.com/YIIOwBImDX

— PoliticsJOE (@PoliticsJOE_UK) December 17, 2020
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899
    edited December 2020
    Shite.
    Ben

• Not a clue why it worked for me. FWIW even I find that a bit sneery and whingy. I'd forgotten about the time they got Priti to do one of the briefings and she mentioned the reduction in shoplifting.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531

Literally only this second have I connected Band Aid (the band/song) and Band Aid (Elastoplast). Is there supposed to be a connection?

Honestly that brand has very high quality plasters.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,716

Honestly that brand has very high quality plasters.
    Plastering over the problem seems very prophetic. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    Pross said:

Band Aid 30 (2014).

Jesus, that completely passed me by... 😯

- @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited December 2020
    ddraver said:

Gavin and Stacey. Now if there isn't acrockofshit in one hit.

totalcrap.

#shockinglyawful
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    Might be an unpopular opinion but one I agree with.

I'll raise you The Office.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    The Office is ok never got it until I'd worked in an office tho

I never really got the Gavin & Stacey series, but the Christmas Specials are Reasonable Xmas Day fodder
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    ddraver said:

I never really got the Gavin & Stacey series, but the Christmas Specials are Reasonable Xmas Day fodder

No they're not - they're totalshit.

4 unfunny people who can't act with a ribbish script.

#totalshite
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    ddraver said:

Opposite for me. I work in offices so how well observed it is makes it the problem. Why on earth would I want to watch saddos like that on TV having had to tolerate them all the working days?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,840
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Opposite for me. I work in offices so how well observed it is makes it the problem. Why on earth would I want to watch saddos like that on TV having had to tolerate them all the working days?

I worked in an office, PSA (Property Services Agency) for a week in 1981. That was enough for me.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited December 2020
    Never watched Gavin and Stacey so can't comment except to say I find James Corden to be insufferable when I see him elsewhere on TV. The Office for me was up there with Fawlty Towers and a handful of others as truly brilliant. I sometimes find Gervais incredibly annoying and some of his films have been sh1t. Ditto Derek which was too schmaltzy and also the latest season of Afterlife. Extras was pretty damn good though and at his best he stays just the right side of smug and self knowing, just being the operative word though. He's certainly one of our greatest comic actors/characters/producers though, right up there with Peter Sellers et al.
  • Pross
    I finally got around to watching Quadrophenia after all these years of people saying "it's a classic" "you have to watch it" and found it a bit boring. Two hours and other than the famous 15 minute "battle on the beach" scene nothing happens.

For the record I love the music of The Who but the film was dull.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    Re The Office, when it first aired I really couldn't watch it without hurting, getting tensed. Too many offices, too many w@nkers. In these later, more relaxed, non corporate years I can view and laugh. Sometimes.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,311
    The American office is much better. Not sure if that's unpopular. I'm sure you'll let me know!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross said:

I finally got around to watching Quadrophenia after all these years of people saying "it's a classic" "you have to watch it" and found it a bit boring. Two hours and other than the famous 15 minute "battle on the beach" scene nothing happens.

For the record I love the music of The Who but the film was dull.

Run away from any film called a classic and sprint if it is known as a cult classic.