Edward Colston/Trans rights/Stamp collecting

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    edited March 2021
    The point I am making is how people see a name of a road, pub, priory etc and the knee jerk response is to get all offended, usually on behalf of someone else, without knowing the provenance of the name.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,278

The point I am making is how people see a name of a road, pub, priory etc and the knee jerk response is to get all offended, usually on behalf of someone else, without knowing the provenance of the name.

Right.

I usually see it in the context of some old duffer feigning offence to 'make a point', and I've not seen anything here that differs from that.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Ok, but has anyone taken that offense at that particular name or is this fake news?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,573

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,105
    edited March 2021

I don't get the point you're making. Who has beef with the name?

No-one, it was just something a colleague pointed out - I'd never even considered it. It's quite an odd name, if you think about it.
    TBH, the provenance of both names is unclear, and subject of some debate. But it's just odd...
    Don't recall anyone being 'offended', just something that makes you wonder.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,286
    elbowloh said:

Ok, but has anyone taken that offense at that particular name or is this fake news?

I seem to remember that there was ridiculing of 'politically correct' language by making jibes about "huperson" and "personhole covers", and thereby diminish the push to get rid of offensive terminology. You've only got to watch certain 1970s TV to realise how far we've come in language terms.
  • secretsam

elbowloh said:

I seem to remember that there was ridiculing of 'politically correct' language by making jibes about "huperson" and "personhole covers", and thereby diminish the push to get rid of offensive terminology. You've only got to watch certain 1970s TV to realise how far we've come in language terms.
    Most of that stuff was intended as a joke - and the usual suspects would pick up on it, or - in some cases - simply make it up, to generate a story.

• ballysmate
    elbowloh said:

I would sincerely hope not. That's the point.
  • secretsam

elbowloh said:

I would sincerely hope not. That's the point.
    Crumbs, there's a point?

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,278
    edited March 2021
    I know it's obvious Bally, but presumably even you can see why having a statue up of a slaver, venerating him, can make some people who are black feel quite uncomfortable?

And how that isn't the same as, say, the Black Country?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Secretsam but he's happy to throw names like nonce around ------- does not compute
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

I know it's obvious Bally, but presumably even you can see why having a statue up of a slaver, venerating him, can make some people who are black feel quite uncomfortable?

How about statues of Roman Emperors ? should they be torn down and destroyed?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,964
    edited March 2021

Who's offended exactly? You seem to be belittling something that didn't actually happen, which is odd.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    edited March 2021
    david37 said:

They already have been. All of them. Long ago. The head of one was famously found buried under the steps of a temple in what is now Sudan, so that visitors would symbolically trample on Augustus's head.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• secretsam
    david37 said:

Secretsam but he's happy to throw names like nonce around ------- does not compute
    No one else seems to care. Are you being a snowflake?

• kingstongraham
    rjsterry said:

david37 said:

They already have been. All of them. Long ago. The head of one was famously found buried under the steps of a temple in what is now Sudan, so that visitors would symbolically trample on Augustus's head.
    Sure I've seen some in Bath.
  • rjsterry
    edited March 2021

rjsterry said:

david37 said:

They're late Victorian (1897) to tart up the Baths; certainly not original. The Colston statue has been reerected in Bristol Museum, but I guess that doesn't suit the 'they're cancelling history' message.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    edited March 2021
    rjsterry said:

Who's offended exactly? You seem to be belittling something that didn't actually happen, which is odd.
    I was belittling the idea that the mention of a building or road etc containing reference to black/white should automatically cause people to think of racial connotations.

• secretsam
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

david37 said:

They're late Victorian (1897) to tart up the Baths; certainly not original. The Colston statue has been reerected in Bristol Museum, but I guess that doesn't suit the 'they're cancelling history' message.
    LOL that's its new "secret location"?!?! Hopefully in a section about Bristol's links to slaving.
    I'm always terrified going there, one day I swear that plane's going to fall down.

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

I wasn't belittling the idea that the mention of a building or road etc containing reference to black/white should automatically cause people to think of racial connotations.

I've not seen any evidence that such a thing exists. Or have I missed the campaign against Blackfriars Station. I'm really not sure which side of the debate is choosing to get upset.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

david37 said:

The Colston statue was erected 174 years after Colston died. Surely it is even more offensive to decide much later to put up statues of slave owners like him and Julius Caesar.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

david37 said:

The Colston statue was erected 174 years after Colston died. Surely it is even more offensive to decide much later to put up statues of slave owners like him and Julius Caesar.
    Yes they are both anachronistic, and coincidentally (or perhaps not) were erected at about the same time. The Colston statue is now in a museum, as are the Roman emperors. Previously the Colston statue was in a different context, with a plaque saying what a decent chap he was. I'm not sure chucking him in the Frome achieved a lot other than some catharsis and getting people talking about the subject. But I think the new context is probably better.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,767
    Removing it is a better solution than the status quo but maybe it's a missed opportunity to use the statue as something that would illuminate the city's history.

The plaque celebrating his life could have been replaced with one with a more honest account and maybe a statue commemorating those who were transported as slaves could have been erected close by - possibly an individual whose story was known so you have the contrast between the wealthy trader and the victim of his trade .

I suppose that can still be done but I doubt anyone would want to risk the criticism returning the statue might bring upon them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Removing it is a better solution than the status quo but maybe it's a missed opportunity to use the statue as something that would illuminate the city's history.

The plaque celebrating his life could have been replaced with one with a more honest account and maybe a statue commemorating those who were transported as slaves could have been erected close by - possibly an individual whose story was known so you have the contrast between the wealthy trader and the victim of his trade .

I suppose that can still be done but I doubt anyone would want to risk the criticism returning the statue might bring upon them.

You could maybe have put the statue in an exhibition of the slave trade and the history of the city?

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,375

The change in plaque was suggested previously but ignored.

Nearby is Pero's bridge, a footbridge named after a slave.

Ironically people have adopted this bridge as one to attach padlocks to as a token of love or whatever. Sigh...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry

It is on display in the city museum so I think that's a pretty good outcome. They could probably have avoided it being chucked in the docks if they'd responded more constructively to earlier approaches.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• secretsam
    rjsterry said:

It is on display in the city museum so I think that's a pretty good outcome. They could probably have avoided it being chucked in the docks if they'd responded more constructively to earlier approaches.
    There's been debate about Colston's legacy for years. Council kept ducking it for fear of upsetting the kind of people who get upset by statues being removed, theatres being renamed...and streets...bloody Colston is everywhere.

• DeVlaeminck
    Yeah I'm aware the issue has been ducked and I can certainly see the offence caused by the statue being left as it was. Agree the museum isn't a bad outcome I just wonder if something more public wouldn't have a greater reach and the juxtaposition of the slave trader, a person enslaved with their story and the sea wouldn't have been more powerful.
  • kingstongraham
    This statue must be replaced in its rightful place. The woke trying to rewrite history cannot be stood for. Who's with me?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-19822296
  • DeVlaeminck
    Maybe that'd make a good exhibit in the People's Palace?