Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited November 2023
    Another one down. Sri Lanka still need 8 runs to avoid the lowest world cup score of 36 (Canada vs Sri Lanka)

EDIT 8 down now.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited November 2023
    You know you're having a bad day when the target becomes 36 so you beat Canada's lowest ever total in the World Cup.

Shami's got pretty good figures again so far: 4-1from 2.1 overs. The run was a wide.
  • Interesting that India are basically playing their test side (minus Pujara)

Really not sure why we would not do the same
  • 4th lowest WC total, and second biggest winning margin. 302 run margin.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

Interesting that India are basically playing their test side (minus Pujara)

I'm concerned about the test series next year.

Duckett certainly worthy of a spot I would say. Not sure why we took Livingstone, he has been terrible all year.

I'm concerned about the test series next year.
    I was concerned before Pakistan and Australia so I am being cautiously optimistic about India. Their pacers won't get the same movement in the day but they could prepare a dustbowl.
  • JimD666
    Today is going to be reminiscent of my childhood, watching Dr Who from behind the sofa.

Don't mind (much) if/when we lose. Just hope they play better. Which frankly shouldn't be difficult.
  • They've put Australia in to bat so we'll know soon enough what sort of day England are going to have.
  • JimD666
    Both openers back in the hutch. Still dubious about the decision to bowl first based on what the conditions might be for the 2nd innings.
  • JimD666
    Woods breaks the partnership with his 9th ball of the over
  • JimD666
    287 to win for England.

12 months ago I'd of said we'd do it with plenty of overs spare. Today? Hopeful we just make a fight of it and don't capitulate for 120odd
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    JimD666 said:

287 to win for England.

12 months ago I'd of said we'd do it with plenty of overs spare. Today? Hopeful we just make a fight of it and don't capitulate for 120odd

Not a great start!
  • JimD666
    mrb123 said:

JimD666 said:

287 to win for England.

Not a great start!
    Yeah, I'm back cowering behind the sofa. 😠
  • JimD666
    If (ha) we can win this, England are still alive after Pakistan beat New Zealand on DLS
  • mrb123
    Should have sent Woody in before Rashid
  • JimD666
    mrb123 said:

Should have sent Woody in before Rashid

Could of sent Kermit in, to play with the rest of the Muppets
  • mrb123
    At least it wasn't a total humiliation. Zampa was the difference today really.
  • JimD666
    edited November 2023
    South Africa currently doing an "England". Chasing 326. 40-5 after 13odd overs.

SA again showing they're rather vulnerable when chasing
  • mrb123
    Jadeja right on the money here.
  • JimD666
    From Carlos Brathwaite: Kohli wins by 18 runs 😉
  • Too few close matches in this competition.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Mathews "Timed Out" today. I'm aware of the Law, but never seen it implemented before
  • Very poor form to appeal in that situation.
  • Tashman
    Just watched the clip, it's not as if he was pisssing about, he was in place, made a last adjustment to his helmet which broke the strap, so called for replacement. Had he faced the first ball, he'd have been able to take as long as he likes to replace it. It's the law, but in this case the law is an ass. Unfortunately the umpires have no remit to decide if they should apply or not.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    Apparently, he wasn't ready to face within 2 mins, and then he had helmet issues.

12:46
    Post update
    Fourth umpire Adrian Holdstock: "The ICC World Cup playing conditions supersede MCC Laws of Cricket.

"When it comes to timed out, the incoming batter has to be in position to receive the ball within two minutes.

"The TV umpire monitors the two minutes and he will then relay the message to the standing umpire. In this instance the batter wasn't ready within those two minutes even before the strap became an issue for him. The two minutes had already elapsed.

"According to the playing conditions, the fielding captain requested/initiated to the standing umpire that he wanted to appeal for timed out.

"As a batsman you need to make sure all your equipment is in place. You have to be ready to receive the ball in two minutes, not just take your guard. So technically you need to be in place after around 15 seconds so you can get ready to receive the ball."
  • Tashman
    Seems harsh - Some batters pre-shot rituals seem to take that long alone. Can see me having to watch the clock closer next season when I'm in the middle if people take this up. Having said that, Law is 3 minutes which most competitions don't over-rule with playing conditions.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    Was the 'helmet' that caused the issue the oppostion captain?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,422
    edited November 2023
    He says he was ready within the time before the helmet failure.

The point of the rule is to stop timewasting, getting a spare helmet when it's broken shouldn't be covered. Of course that opens you up potentially to bloodgate type issues but it's not really like there's any sporting advantage to be gained by bringing out deliberately faulty equipment to the crease.

Pretty low not to withdraw the appeal IMO.
  • Afghanistan taking wickets and making a decent bid to qualify for the last 4.