Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396

Oh FFS please spare the indignant drivel. Footballers are the lowest bar for sportsmanship ever. Diving, faking their own deaths on field... laughable.

Every single one of you playing in a local village game that got caught like Starc did to Duckett yesterday would have walked and kept walking, because it was out. Stop pretending otherwise.

If you don't like rules, don't have 'em, simple.

Bit ironic considering under the laws there’s absolutely no debate that Starc dropped that catch. Duckett did walk didn’t he then got called back?

Even with running someone out backing up the fielding team would normally give a warning shot before actually doing it (I’d have less issue with that even if they didn’t as the batsman is looking to gain an advantage).
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Pross said:

Oh FFS please spare the indignant drivel. Footballers are the lowest bar for sportsmanship ever. Diving, faking their own deaths on field... laughable.

Every single one of you playing in a local village game that got caught like Starc did to Duckett yesterday would have walked and kept walking, because it was out. Stop pretending otherwise.

Bit ironic considering under the laws there’s absolutely no debate that Starc dropped that catch. Duckett did walk didn’t he then got called back?

Even with running someone out backing up the fielding team would normally give a warning shot before actually doing it (I’d have less issue with that even if they didn’t as the batsman is looking to gain an advantage).
    Eh? Is that required in the rules? Or just in your selective version of them, interpreted as you see fit?

Zero irony from me, soz. For my money as an uninformed viewer the catch was legit. Starc didn't even lose his grip on the ball at any time, even smacked into the turf. But if Duckett wasn't out - according to the rules - then ok, fine. So why on earth are you whinging about the stumping today?

Either rules apply - as they did yesterday - or they don't.

Choose. Or get over it. (T'is just a game after all... )

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross
    The ball on the catch was grounded even though in his hand. He was sliding at the time so wasn’t in control of his body as the law states is needed. It’s similar to a fielder running back taking a catch short of the boundary but being able to stop yourself running across the rope, that would be classed as a 6 and not a wicket.

Sure the stumping was legal but all sports have things you just don’t do. Giving a warning to a batsman backing up isn’t a requirement but it is what players generally do. As I said, in cycling terms it’s like not attacking when a rider has a mechanical or crash.

Anyway, it’s spiced things up and Broad seems to be taking the full body line treatment now.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    That should be that now Stokes has gone.
    Although Australia won from the same position.

Not sure about the Bairstow decision.
    Given out stumped, but surely he was run out?

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,490
    Just see the Bairstow stumping.
    Aussie's certainly not sporting, maybe technically it is out, but, very, very unsporting, and will not endear themselves to anyone.
    Bit like the Chappell underarm delivery many years ago.
    Add to the Smith cheating (should have been a life ban).
    The Barmy Army are going to give them so much grief for the rest of the series.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,423
    JimD666 said:

Glen McGrath thinks it was out :D

News Headlines: Former Aussie Bowler thinks the decision was wrong.
    Breaking News: The Pope revealed to be Catholic.
    Oh yeah of course
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross said:

Finished driving before the Bairstow stumping. That’s about the worst sportsmanship I’ve ever seen in any sport. It was clear he was treating it as a dead ball, sure it’s within the laws but some things you just don’t do.

Well, he shouldn't have left the crease so soon.

It's like a mankad isn't it, within the rules but feels cheap. But there's no point being upset about it.
  • bobmcstuff
    Also Broad afterwards was funny, so it was worthwhile on that basis!

At least they've managed to turn it into a somewhat entertaining game. Which I really didn't think they could after the first day.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Bairstow just assumed that Carey wasn't a complete cvnt. Big mistake.
  • kingstongraham
    edited July 2023
    Anyway, what a weird match.
  • Pross
    That crazy hour in the first innings lost them the game. I still don’t get what they were thinking.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060

Think in football it gets ruled out for unsporting conduct.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross

Pross said:

Will they make it into day 5?

I have tickets for tomorrow. I'm not expecting much play.
    You did alright for yourself in the end. Hope you got a few boos in?
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 2,031
    edited July 2023
    Re the Starc catch. I was always taught if you go to ground to take a catch, keep your hands off the ground at all costs. I suspect the Bairstow stumping was a bit of revenge for the Starc catch. Would agree that it was not in keeping with the tacit agreement of 'spirit of the game' which cricket tends to adhere to.

Weirdly (sure I will be proven wrong), I don't think this series is over yet. Both sides have had good sessions and bad sessions, Australia have just capitalised more on England's poor sessions.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,755
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Will they make it into day 5?

I have tickets for tomorrow. I'm not expecting much play.
    You did alright for yourself in the end. Hope you got a few boos in?
    Yes good value for £25.
  • TheBigBean
    It's quite quaint, and perhaps telling, that many Australians think the "always cheating" song was invented for them.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    I'm not really understanding all the hand wringing over the stumping. It was a moment of brain fade by Bairstow and is as legitimate as a keeper standing up and taking the bails when you wander out of your ground.
  • TheBigBean
    Tashman said:

I'm not really understanding all the hand wringing over the stumping. It was a moment of brain fade by Bairstow and is as legitimate as a keeper standing up and taking the bails when you wander out of your ground.

If Bairstow walked down the pitch to play the ball or lost balance and fell forward then you would have a point.

There's some proper barrell scraping going on trying to justify it.

There's an example of McCullum doing exactly the same thing, but Vettori was a grown up at the time.
  • kingstongraham
    Tashman said:

Not really. That is generally the batsman wandering out of his ground to play a shot or overbalancing. This was not that.

It's entirely legal, but nothing to be proud of. Captain should have withdrawn the appeal.
  • Tashman
    It's a game of opinions I guess, Bairstow was caught in a daydream when he should wait for the umpires call of over.
    The strikers end umpire is the one who determines the dead ball, not the batter.
  • kingstongraham
    Tashman said:

It's a game of opinions I guess, Bairstow was caught in a daydream when he should wait for the umpires call of over.
    The strikers end umpire is the one who determines the dead ball, not the batter.

Which is why he was out.

But.... Carey didn't think Bairstow was doing anything other than starting the "in between overs" routine, and decided that was an appropriate way to take a wicket.
  • TheBigBean
    Tashman said:

I don't want to watch games where every batter waits like Broad did afterwards. Yes, he was taking the piss, but that's the consequence.

There are so many examples of similar sorts of things e.g. Ganguly getting Vaughan out handled ball. History is rarely kind to the protagonists.

Another example is when a batter steps back as the bowler enters their delivery stride. I've seen cases where the bowler still bowls and hits the wicket, but no one appeals and the umpire declares it a dead ball after the fact.

• TheBigBean
    This is also an Australian bowling attack that didn't notice the ball had been sandpapered as arranged by two other players in the team.
  • Tashman

This is also an Australian bowling attack that didn't notice the ball had been sandpapered as arranged by two other players in the team.

And that has no bearing on this situation. It's out. This is the pinnacle of the sport and Bairstow was caught daydreaming. He never even watched the ball to se if there was a fumble etc. Carey played smarter is what it boils down to.
    It is also poor umpiring.
  • kingstongraham
    Tashman said:

And that has no bearing on this situation. It's out. This is the pinnacle of the sport and Bairstow was caught daydreaming. He never even watched the ball to se if there was a fumble etc. Carey played smarter is what it boils down to.
    Why would he need to watch the ball for a fumble? His partner would alert him if there was a chance of a bye. He wasn't looking for a run.

He wasn't caught out daydreaming, he was caught out trusting that Carey wouldn't act like a cunt. Maybe that's the same thing.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    I take it you've all watched the footage of Bairstow doing the exact same thing two days prior IN THIS SAME TEST MATCH, attempting to "stump" Labuschagne?. No issue? Other than the fact he missed the stumps?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Tashman

Tashman said:

Why would he need to watch the ball for a fumble? His partner would alert him if there was a chance of a bye. He wasn't looking for a run.

He wasn't caught out daydreaming, he was caught out trusting that Carey wouldn't act like a censored . Maybe that's the same thing.
    Carey took an opportunity he should never have had available. It's that simple. i have no truck with run out at the non-strikers end either. Maybe it's just my umpire mindset.
  • kingstongraham

I take it you've all watched the footage of Bairstow doing the exact same thing two days prior IN THIS SAME TEST MATCH, attempting to "stump" Labuschagne?. No issue? Other than the fact he missed the stumps?

And that it was a completely different situation. Labuschagne was standing outside his crease to face the bowling, and hadn't made it back into his crease when Bairstow threw the ball.
  • TheBigBean
    Tashman said:

Not my go to people when discussing sportsmanship was my point.
  • TheBigBean

And that it was a completely different situation. Labuschagne was standing outside his crease to face the bowling, and hadn't made it back into his crease when Bairstow threw the ball.
    The Times has a list of previous controversial stumpings. The more I hear about them the more it reaffirms my opinion. For example, the same happened in county cricket this year and the umpires declared it a dead ball. When McCullum did it, Vettori withdrew the appeal.