Trek Emonda 2021

Comments

• jvjava
    jvjava Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 2021 SL6. They did raise the price. It is $3,299.00 The head tube is more like the Madone. The 56 is listed as weighing 18.18 lbs. It does have the the praxis T47 threaded bottom bracket. I got the charcoal grey. It looks awesome!. The bike is being shipped to San Diego from somewhere in CA. ( I didn’t ask where). I should have it next week.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    So that's 8.3 kg for a bike that costs 2,500 GBP... probably more like £ 2,999 before it hits our shores...
    In 2005 I bought a Specialized Allez that weighed 8.2 kg for £ 999...

Upwards and onwards
    left the forum March 2023
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

So that's 8.3 kg for a bike that costs 2,500 GBP... probably more like £ 2,999 before it hits our shores...

Upwards and onwards

In a couple of years the bike industry will suddenly launch a new lightweight craze and implore everyone to ditch their 1 year old, 8.5kg bikes for lighter models. They may even bring back rim brakes and celebrate their retro simplicity.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2020

Upwards and onwards

In a couple of years the bike industry will suddenly launch a new lightweight craze and implore everyone to ditch their 1 year old, 8.5kg bikes for lighter models. They may even bring back rim brakes and celebrate their retro simplicity.
    I understand the aero argument and all, but ultimately a cyclist is rated in Watt/kg, so if you can reduce the kg part of it, being that from the body or the bike, that will have a non insignificant effect on most terrains. It seems bizarre that over the past few years prices have gone up and bikes have become lumps. I see you can still buy an Emonda Alloy frameset, which weighs 1.1 kg (frame only)... not the lightest frameset out there, but at £ 800 RRP it seems good value...
    I have lazily looked around, but anything I am remotely interested in, comes with a 3,000 + price tag... and that's frame only... Dolan Tuono seems the only exception
  • joe_totale-2
    edited June 2020

Upwards and onwards

I understand the aero argument and all, but ultimately a cyclist is rated in Watt/kg, so if you can reduce the kg part of it, being that from the body or the bike, that will have a non insignificant effect on most terrains. It seems bizarre that over the past few years prices have gone up and bikes have become lumps. I see you can still buy an Emonda Alloy frameset, which weighs 1.1 kg (frame only)... not the lightest frameset out there, but at £ 800 RRP it seems good value...
    I have lazily looked around, but anything I am remotely interested in, comes with a 3,000 + price tag... and that's frame only... Dolan Tuono seems the only exception
    Life is complicated nowadays so it's nice to ride a bike that's still simple and can be repaired at home. Bikes are becoming more complex nowadays which is great for bike shops but not so good for us home mechanics, all this complexity adds weight as well.

Given that most of us aren't racing to any serious level, being aero is nice but it's not the be all and end all. What's more important is how a bike feels and if it's fun to ride, in my personal experience a light bike always feels nicer and is more enjoyable to ride than a heavier one.
    Sure the light bike may not actually be any faster aside from on steep hills but at least you're having more fun on your ride.

Rose seem to still do lightweight bikes and that includes their disc brake models, they also don't charge crazy amounts for their bikes.

• ugo.santalucia
    ... Agree entirely.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403

Hello guys,

Any news on Madone 2021 model? Also how often do Trek change shape in Madone and Emonda. I assume shape will be changed in mid 2021 model 2022.

Thank you

Hello guys,

Any news on Madone 2021 model? Also how often do Trek change shape in Madone and Emonda. I assume shape will be changed in mid 2021 model 2022.

Thank you

The Madone will be reworked next year.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I am surprised they have reworked all the possible anagrams (Madone, Domane, Emonda), but they haven't come out with a Nomade Adventure bike...
  • zest28
    brenr6 said:
    Looks like the pro version to me.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411

Upwards and onwards

Don't know if this is of any interest...

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes/race-bikes/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-frameset-electrical/1187.html?dwvar_1187_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK/RD

For £1k (frameset only) should build up to a very light hill climb bike. Being electrical, to get decent use out of it you'd have to spend some more dosh on di2 or sram .
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411

Upwards and onwards

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes/race-bikes/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-frameset-electrical/1187.html?dwvar_1187_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK/RD

For £1k (frameset only) should build up to a very light hill climb bike. Being electrical, to get decent use out of it you'd have to spend some more dosh on di2 or sram .
  • joe_totale-2
    6wheels said:

Upwards and onwards

Just gotta hope that Ugo takes a 2XL frame!
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Wheelset weight has a big effect on feel.
  • ugo.santalucia

Wheelset weight has a big effect on feel.

Yes, but unless you go for carbon tubulars, they all weigh the same. It's very hard to get anything under 1400 grams in clincher flavour... and a more robust wheelset weighs 1600 or so.. hardly any difference and mostly in the hubs, where it doesn't even matter
  • oli_admin said:
    Absolutely!
    The SLs currently come with Bontrager Pro carbon bars and a Pro stem, no integration underneath the stem so it's very similar to how they did the madone SL7 with alloy bars as it has less integration overall when compared to the SLR.

Obviously the best thing about this bike is it now does have a threaded T47 BB which is nice if you like working on your own stuff although the faff has now moved from your BB to the headset.

Enjoying a first look at the Trek Emonda SL 7 SRAM Etap

https://youtu.be/zUK2ubI8aTQ
  • ugo.santalucia
    Used to be the case that upgrading components to make a lighter bike was a more expensive enterprise than buying a lighter bike, but now it seems we are back to the upgrade route... next thing might be a return of Drillium.
    Managed to get my inexpensive Dolan Dual down to 7.9 kg, the equivalent would probably cost me 4 or 5 grand in today's mad market.
  • Used to be the case that upgrading components to make a lighter bike was a more expensive enterprise than buying a lighter bike, but now it seems we are back to the upgrade route... next thing might be a return of Drillium.
    Managed to get my inexpensive Dolan Dual down to 7.9 kg, the equivalent would probably cost me 4 or 5 grand in today's mad market.

Well, when you think that 5k bike comes with force etap upgrading is a whole different world.

P.S disclaimer because I feel for you- I ride an Emonda SL6 with C24 tubulars
  • ugo.santalucia

Well, when you think that 5k bike comes with force etap upgrading is a whole different world.

P.S disclaimer because I feel for you- I ride an Emonda SL6 with C24 tubulars

I've never put much value in expensive groupsets... I have a mix of 105 10 speed, ultegra 6700 cassette and Shimano XT derailleur... it's all pretty basic and works well. I wouldn't spend big money on something plush... the difference is insignificant and I'm not on the bike to experience the smoothest shifting... I'm there to kick those pedals and I'm happy with whatever works and comes with cheap spares.
    Biggest weight saving I've done is the saddle... 59 quid for a Selle Italia SLR shifted half a pound... Supersonic inner tubes and TT tyres for race day did the rest.

• teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342

The obsession for disc brakes and the fact that those buying increasingly expensive bikes have ever expanding waist lines and need "stronger" components to support them and ever more powerful brakes to stop them.
    It's a shame, the Emonda was the frame of choice to build a proper light bike without spending 10 grand.

As a sub 70 kg guy with a relatively small wallet, I feel pretty much shunned by the market

I am with you here ...... although it's even worse for me. I think the bike industry thinks I am a pariah! I happen to prefer a mechanical groupset with a properly engineered downshift as part of its make-up. But if you even mention its name you are looked at as a freak!
  • zest28 said:

Hello guys,

Thank you

Hello guys,

Thank you

The Madone will be reworked next year.
    I have a feeling that the fork may be changed a bit. Will see!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802

The obsession for disc brakes and the fact that those buying increasingly expensive bikes have ever expanding waist lines and need "stronger" components to support them and ever more powerful brakes to stop them.
    It's a shame, the Emonda was the frame of choice to build a proper light bike without spending 10 grand.

As a sub 70 kg guy with a relatively small wallet, I feel pretty much shunned by the market

So basically you have a small wallet and a huge chip on your shoulder. So anyone with more money than you is a fat idiot? You need to get a grip Ugo you’re a bitter old man.

And just to throw your theory out the window. I’m about 63kg with an FTP of 3.7 w/kg and I’ve just dropped close to 8k on the parts for a new bike that has AXS, discs and deep section wheels.

On the subject of the new Emonda...I’ve seen three of them in my mates bike shop and they look incredible. Really eye catching in the flesh. The head tube/stem/fork area looks way better than the old model.

• yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282

So basically you have a small wallet and a huge chip on your shoulder. So anyone with more money than you is a fat idiot? You need to get a grip Ugo you’re a bitter old man.

And just to throw your theory out the window. I’m about 63kg with an FTP of 3.7 w/kg and I’ve just dropped close to 8k on the parts for a new bike that has AXS, discs and deep section wheels.

On the subject of the new Emonda...I’ve seen three of them in my mates bike shop and they look incredible. Really eye catching in the flesh. The head tube/stem/fork area looks way better than the old model.

I think you're completely wrong here.
    I agree with Ugo, the manufacturers are just using new technology to line their wallets (by the way most of them are not owned by their original owners but by Venture Capitalists who are only interested in making money) and with the trend to cycling by those with plenty of cash it's a win win for them.
    I do not have a small wallet but would not be spending the kind of money you are boasting about on that stuff but something special and personnal, that I wouldn't be selling at a considerable loss in a couple of years for the latest must have's!

With regard to the looks of the new Emonda, I think along with most of the new designs it looks awful. However beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so each to their own here I guess.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

It's all a bit handbags innit.
    8 grand on parts ? Christ what's the full bike going to cost ?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    fenix said:

8 grand on parts ? Christ what's the full bike going to cost ?

That's the whole lot. Frame, wheels, groupset etc. I know it's a hell of a lot, but I can afford it (just).

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Somehow it seems cheaper if you split the cost over the bits. Even if it isn't.

• ugo.santalucia
    That doesn't change things one bit. Manufacturers have decided to cater for heavier riders with deep pockets... if you weigh 63 kg, you could have probably got away with a lighter bike than the one you just invested 8 grand on, but you have to comply with the fat boys market.

In 2005 I bought an 8 kg bike from a major manufacturer for a grand, now the equivalent money (whatever that is ) doesn't buy you the same... it buys you something with disc brakes that weighs close to 9 kg, even if new technology means it would probably be possible to sell a 7 kg bike for that money
  • yellowv2
    Ugo, I agree with you entirely. However I’m not sure it is wise to keep referring to it as a fat boys market!
  • zest28
    edited July 2020

That doesn't change things one bit. Manufacturers have decided to cater for heavier riders with deep pockets... if you weigh 63 kg, you could have probably got away with a lighter bike than the one you just invested 8 grand on, but you have to comply with the fat boys market.

In 2005 I bought an 8 kg bike from a major manufacturer for a grand, now the equivalent money (whatever that is ) doesn't buy you the same... it buys you something with disc brakes that weighs close to 9 kg, even if new technology means it would probably be possible to sell a 7 kg bike for that money

The bikes are offered for racing, that is why 2020 bikes are more aero. The 2021 Trek Emonda comes in at the UCI weight limit (6.8kg) so what the hell are you complaining about? Make it any lighter and you can't race it.

More aero + UCI weight limit = great climbing bike

Now if you are not strong / fast enough to take advantage of the aero benefit, then don't buy modern bikes and stick to your bikes of 2005.
  • yellowv2
    The claimed weight for the Emonda sl 6 disc pro ultegra is 7.8 kg so it's probably 8kg+!