Trek Emonda 2021

clu
clu Posts: 89
Looks like Trek have cleaned up the Emonda for 2021. In line with the current trends with other bike manufacturers, full integration of the cable/brake hoses although the bike shown is fitted with SRAM eTap so no cables in this case. The frame tube shapes have been updated to make it more aero. Seemed to have not gone down the dropped seat stay design that others are now adopting.

I would guess that BB90 will be replaced with the T47 bottom bracket, like with the updated Domane. Wondering though if the top of the headtube is fitted with a front IsoSpeed decoupler.

2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited April 2020
    I'm not so sure about the BB. We all know that BB90 is bobbins but it's also a fair bit lighter than T47 and the Emonda is all about being a lightweight climbing bike.

Likewise, IsoSpeed adds more weight, there's already the Domane and the Madone if you want suspension.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited April 2020
    The interesting thing will be what the price is of the SLR 9 model.

It is quite funny how Trek jacked up the price a lot over just a few years.

But seems they did a good job if they made those changes I’d say. The previous Emonda was quite dated.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    They need to make the Trek lettering bigger.

Actually, tbf I quite like the look of it..
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

I agree. Had the OP not put Trek in the title I would never have been able to identify what brand it was :D

I have to say, I used to think Treks look nice, the 5 series and models from the early part of last decade looked the part, but imo they have ruined the latest models by the cosmetics - mainly the size of the branding. Makes the downtube look massive and just disproportionate somehow.
    Just my opinion though.

• yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    As most current bikes go it looks ok, apart from the awful Trek lettering!
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited April 2020

Actually, tbf I quite like the look of it..

Also having "f*cking SRAM" decals on it to quote Bauke Mollema is nothing to be proud of.
  • yellowv2
    😅 Too true
  • brenr6
    brenr6 Posts: 14
    Hi whats the origin of that photo --is it official, leaked or a mock up?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited April 2020

Also having "f*cking SRAM" decals on it to quote Bauke Mollema is nothing to be proud of.

Yeah, those Professional cycling teams putting sponsor logos on their bikes - what a bunch of idiots!

• clu
    clu Posts: 89
    The picture of the bike has been leaked out and is now circulating on the internet. If something like rumours of a new bike for example start appearing online, I'll search the internet just out of interest to see if something has just appeared unexpectedly.

Comparing the new emonda frame with the current madone, there is a front Isospeed on the madone at the top of the headtube. Looking closer at the new emonda frame in my first post, there does appear to be something similar at the top of the headtube. Another image below seems to show this too. They appear to have retained the seatmast cap though.

There are also rumours and comments on the internet that Trek are ditching BB90 in favour of the T47 bottom bracket standard. Even though the emonda is referred to as a climbing bike, the addition of a T47 won't add much more weight to the frame in any case. I would also think that Trek will have found additional ways to remove weight from the new frame, to make any increase in weight from the addition of a screw thread bottom bracket as negligible.

Generally pro bikes have gradually been getting slightly heavier over the last few seasons anyway. Aerodynamics seem to be the main focus for manufacturers these day regardless of the type of road bike, with weight of the frame/bike a consideration afterwards. Bikes also seem to be an evolution of the previous model, with subtle tweaks here and there such as in this case making the tube shapes more areo and integrating any cables and hoses into the frame.

I too think the lettering is on the large side for the bike shown in my first post. This is though what the pros ride and the manufacturer wants people to be able to see it and know that it's a Trek when ridden during any races. When the new emonda does become available for people to buy (who know's when this will happen), the logos/lettering will probably be smaller on all the bikes throughout the range.
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy
  • The current Madone does not have a front ISO speed decoupler, and the new emonda most likely will not have one in the front or rear seeing that it is a light weight machine. What you see there is just the interface between headset and frame.

T47 would be nice to see. I am also guessing a regular bar/stem combo will be had on the SL models, only a fully integrated bar for the top of the line SLR.
    smidgliosis
  • brenr6
    I thought the Madone SLR had some form of front vibration dampening
  • Hello guys,

Any news on Madone 2021 model? Also how often do Trek change shape in Madone and Emonda. I assume shape will be changed in mid 2021 model 2022.

Thank you
  • brenr6 said:

I thought the Madone SLR had some form of front vibration dampening

No front dampening in the Madone, you would want to look into the Domane or Checkpoint for that. Trust me, I own a madone! No front iso speed.
    smidgliosis
  • Hello guys,

Any news on Madone 2021 model? Also how often do Trek change shape in Madone and Emonda. I assume shape will be changed in mid 2021 model 2022.

Thank you

The 2021 Madone will more than likely retain the exact same shape and form it does now. The only difference will be color options. Trek usually only does an overhaul on road bikes every 3 years, so yes next big update on Madone will come on the 2022 model.
    smidgliosis
  • I’d like to see the prices of the whole range.
  • brenr6
    I have an Emonda and am kind of loyal to the Trek brand but Im looking to upgrade and if the new Emonda isnt released soon, Im buying the new Giant TCR.
  • brenr6
    Here are some clearer photos of the 2021 emonda. I am a little underwhelmed.

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/emonda-2021-new-pictures/36775
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Only available with heavy discs or there is a light and nimble rim braked version?
    left the forum March 2023
  • brenr6
    Disc only. I dont know why Trek just dont launch it, its in dealerships in Ireland.
  • Any updates on the ALR version of this bike? Would be interested to know if they'll be transitioning to the T47 BBs too, instead of PressFit.
  • ugo.santalucia
    brenr6 said:

Disc only. I dont know why Trek just dont launch it, its in dealerships in Ireland.

Shame, the Emonda was born as a superlight frameset to build up < 6kg bikes... but with discs it's a non starter
  • yellowv2
    Launch it, as in? :)
  • brenr6
    Put it up on their website for people to see - SLR lettering is ok on a madone but looks too big for the emonda frame which is a shame because the red / dark grey is a nice colour scheme.
  • I'm not so sure about the BB. We all know that BB90 is bobbins but it's also a fair bit lighter than T47 and the Emonda is all about being a lightweight climbing bike.

Likewise, IsoSpeed adds more weight, there's already the Domane and the Madone if you want suspension.

T47 is confirmed on Emonda SL6
  • brenr6
    Theres no isospeed on the new emonda.
  • On the SL6, weight is increasing by 0.4 kg compared to the 2020 version. Quite a problem for a bike specialized in climbing, don’t you think ?
  • brenr6
    What’s your source for the weight numbers?
  • My local dealer
  • ugo.santalucia
    The obsession for disc brakes and the fact that those buying increasingly expensive bikes have ever expanding waist lines and need "stronger" components to support them and ever more powerful brakes to stop them.
    It's a shame, the Emonda was the frame of choice to build a proper light bike without spending 10 grand.

As a sub 70 kg guy with a relatively small wallet, I feel pretty much shunned by the market