The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,683
    Turns out Aunt (who lives abroad) is an anti vaxxer so she has been uninvited from the wedding of my sister (though I doubt she would make it in the country anyway)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    edited September 2021
    Meh. Sister in law won't visit her daughter in Finland and see her new grand daughter as she refuses to be tested. As for vaccines, government conspiracy. Idiots walk amongst us.
    What is more perplexing is that she is clever.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited September 2021
    pblakeney said:

Meh. Sister in law won't visit her daughter in Finland and see her new grand daughter as she refuses to be tested. As for vaccines, government conspiracy. Idiots walk amongst us.

Turns out Aunt (who lives abroad) is an anti vaxxer so she has been uninvited from the wedding of my sister (though I doubt she would make it in the country anyway)

I have a step sister who constantly posted anti-vax rubbish on FB and "sheeple" nonsense. I had to unfollow.

She's had Covid, her 5 year old daughter got it and her dad (my stepdad got it) and was still posting that crap.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,901
    I see they are still closing school classes for a week in France if there's a case detected. Genuinely don't know at this point whether that, or the UK policy of vaguely controlled spread in schools whilst youngsters are getting vaccinated, is the more sensible policy. Talking to a surgeon friend last night, it seems the RD&E hospital in Exeter has almost no patients being treated for covid, despite the high infection numbers in Devon.
  • briantrumpet
    Seems that the school where I work is doing a mass vaccination on Monday for all the 12-16-years-olds. From straw polls I've done with my groups, I think there will be a large uptake, and from discussions with some, they are aware of the issues of personal benefit/risk versus/and the societal benefit.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    pblakeney said:

Clearly not knowledgeable enough to understand available facts, nor wise enough to assess whether or not she is making an informed decision, or to seek advice from someone who can, though.

So define clever. Could be that she never was and it just hasn't come up before.

This is applicable to anti vaxxers in general.
  • Seems that the school where I work is doing a mass vaccination on Monday for all the 12-16-years-olds. From straw polls I've done with my groups, I think there will be a large uptake, and from discussions with some, they are aware of the issues of personal benefit/risk versus/and the societal benefit.

is this with or without parental consent?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Clearly not knowledgeable enough to understand available facts, nor wise enough to assess whether or not she is making an informed decision, or to seek advice from someone who can, though.

So define clever. Could be that she never was and it just hasn't come up before.

This has been covered before. Intelligence and common sense are not joined.
    Boils down to which sources you believe. Once you think the government is up to something then all official sources are negated.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet

Seems that the school where I work is doing a mass vaccination on Monday for all the 12-16-years-olds. From straw polls I've done with my groups, I think there will be a large uptake, and from discussions with some, they are aware of the issues of personal benefit/risk versus/and the societal benefit.

is this with or without parental consent?

Very much with. But as a large number of children at the school have parents who are medics, and the school is keen on vaccines, as a policy, I think there's very little push-back, more a case of "thank goodness, at last!", I suspect.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Boils down to which sources you believe. Once you think the government is up to something then all official sources are negated.

It is cultist behaviour, as with Trump supporters. They are literally killing themselves because of the anti-vax messaging from his cult (even if he's issued one or two messages about getting vaccinated). I don't know if there's a direct link with 'intelligence', even if a lot of Trumpists are really thick on any measure.
  • First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It is cultist behaviour, as with Trump supporters. They are literally killing themselves because of the anti-vax messaging from his cult (even if he's issued one or two messages about getting vaccinated). I don't know if there's a direct link with 'intelligence', even if a lot of Trumpists are really thick on any measure.
    Hate to break the news, but sense and common sense are generally correlated.

It is also possible to pass off a little knowledge as overall intelligence, with sufficient eloquence. Christ, most of the cabinet do this for a living.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Hate to break the news, but sense and common sense are generally correlated.

It is also possible to pass off a little knowledge as overall intelligence, with sufficient eloquence. Christ, most of the cabinet do this for a living.

Yeah, overall, but I'd be interested in properly clever people who get sucked down wormholes into culty behaviour (rather than those who do it cynically for financial gain).
  • rick_chasey
    Being clever is overrated.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,613

By whom?
  • First.Aspect

By whom?
    People who think they are clever.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021
    Oh everyone.

In work, in life, in childhood, all of it. Being smart is valued too highly.

So you're clever - so what.
  • elbowloh

Oh everyone.

What's the threshold for being judged as clever?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Presumably better prospects, potentially more interesting personality.

Perhaps not so chippy about their superb degree and then winding up being a recruiter ;)
  • elbowloh
    edited October 2021

Presumably better prospects, potentially more interesting personality.

Perhaps not so chippy about their superb degree and then winding up being a recruiter ;)

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, ultimately I think for most things in life, work or not work, there's a sort of minimum threshold that isn't all that high, after which intelligence doesn't matter that much and it is much more about application and attitude.
  • briantrumpet

Yeah, ultimately I think for most things in life, work or not work, there's a sort of minimum threshold that isn't all that high, after which intelligence doesn't matter that much and it is much more about application and attitude.

Depends how you're measuring outcomes, and what outcomes you're measuring. Feynman (for instance) was undoubtedly clever, changed the face of physics, 'invented' Feynman diagrams, helped build the atomic bomb. His intelligence mattered.

It's a pretty pointless discussion, other than giving people the chance to wind each other up and disagree on definitions.
  • It's a good thing to be, rather than to not be
  • First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

Oh everyone.

Shoelaces.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

elbowloh said:

Oh everyone.

Shoelaces.
    Do you mean being able to tie them? I've never been able to, at least in the manner which 99.9% of people tie them. When I was about 10 years old, noticing my inability, an aunt showed me a different, more intricate method, and which I still use to this day, decades later.

Over the years several people have noticed, and been fascinated (or irritated) by my unorthodox technique, but the high point was about 2 years ago when I was in a doctor's waiting room, and noticed my shoelace undone. I bent over to re-tie it, and an old woman sitting opposite, 90 years old if she were a day but 'all there', suddenly exclaimed out that she was delighted to see my method, not having seen that technique since she was a little girl.
  • ^ this needs a more thorough explaination please
  • briantrumpet
    jimmyjams said:

elbowloh said:

Oh everyone.

Shoelaces.
    Do you mean being able to tie them? I've never been able to, at least in the manner which 99.9% of people tie them. When I was about 10 years old, noticing my inability, an aunt showed me a different, more intricate method, and which I still use to this day, decades later.

Over the years several people have noticed, and been fascinated (or irritated) by my unorthodox technique, but the high point was about 2 years ago when I was in a doctor's waiting room, and noticed my shoelace undone. I bent over to re-tie it, and an old woman sitting opposite, 90 years old if she were a day but 'all there', suddenly exclaimed out that she was delighted to see my method, not having seen that technique since she was a little girl.

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh7y_weyMw0
  • First.Aspect
    It is at least possible that you are over thinking this. Providing your shoes reliably don't fall off, I think you have achieved the objective.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,613

I found when looking at CVs that most people have a load of prejudices. For example, my colleague seems to only care who they know whereas I tend to try to analyse whether they know their subject.

All else equal I would always go with the intelligent person because I value it, and don't see any downsides. That isn't a universally held view though.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2021
    jimmyjams said:

...when I was in a doctor's waiting room, and noticed my shoelace undone. I bent over to re-tie it, ...

I'd say if they come undone then the method is not all that good*.
    PS - Ring flashes used for filming videos is a real distraction in the subject's eyes.

*Edit :- Method I use. Starts at 1:25 and does not include the bonus tip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deymL_kfHuk
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect

I found when looking at CVs that most people have a load of prejudices. For example, my colleague seems to only care who they know whereas I tend to try to analyse whether they know their subject.

All else equal I would always go with the intelligent person because I value it, and don't see any downsides. That isn't a universally held view though.
    There is sometimes a sort or reverse snobbery that goes on, because whoever is hiring is quite thick and thus threatened. Or because the job is so boring they don't expect a bright person to stay.